Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 42

Author Topic: Project PROMETHEUS: Supernatural Arms Race Phase 1/11  (Read 42998 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Project PROMETHEUS: Supernatural Arms Race Phase 2/5
« Reply #285 on: July 28, 2017, 02:32:32 pm »

Quote from: Production Phase
Refurbish Unobtainium: 35R: 2: SMMI, Madman, Kashyyk
Purchase UM2: 70R: 2: SMMI, Madman, Kashyyk
Use Sword Next Combat Phase: 1: Kashyyk
Do Not Use Sword Next Combat Phase: 2: SMMI, Madman

Hibou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 28, 2017, 02:55:13 pm »

Refurbish Unobtainium: 35R: 4: SMMI, Madman, Kashyyk, Hibou
Purchase UM2: 70R: 4: SMMI, Madman, Kashyyk, Hibou
Use Sword Next Combat Phase: 2: Kashyyk, Hibou
Best case scenario, we figure out what this thing actually does and kick ass all the way to the eastern seaboard, worst case scenario we get a total mission failure and lose the artifact. It's 50/50 really but I'm feeling optimistic.

Production phases are usually pretty unanimous.

All you are really arguing about is if you should take the sword or not.
YES.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 28, 2017, 03:41:30 pm »

120R available.
Refurbish Unobtainium: 35R: 4: SMMI, Madman, Kashyyk, Hibou, RAM
 - don't:
Purchase UM2: 70R: 4: SMMI, Madman, Kashyyk, Hibou, RAM
- don't:
Use Sword Next Combat Phase: 2: Kashyyk, Hibou, RAM
I would love to test the sword properly. It may well be two or three missions before it is worth having a sword in a gunfight, and all manner of things could go wrong. The alternative is spending a research phase on it. We do not have enough research phases. We don't even have a comfortable method of selling our loot yet, which we really need be doing, on account of short funds...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 29, 2017, 11:57:10 am »

At the very least can we wait until our second Artifact is secured?
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 29, 2017, 12:00:38 pm »

I agree---we're risking things when we KNOW FOR A FACT the difficulty's about to spike.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Hibou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 29, 2017, 12:16:46 pm »

I agree---we're risking things when we KNOW FOR A FACT the difficulty's about to spike.
If the difficulty's changing, then we ought to try changing with it. Besides, I'd be worried too if the artifact was something like a patchwork leather book or a mummified monkey's paw, but this is a sword we're talking about. It's probably the artifact that's the most likely to help us kill magic weirdos short of the holy hand grenade.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 29, 2017, 06:19:32 pm »

One Unobtainium M2 is produced, while the outdated model is updated to fit the current standards (-105R), and you decide to take along the sword. A scabbard modeled after those used for military knives is prepared and given to a soldier. There is currently only one soldier in the group who doesn't have any fancy equipment (poor guy!).

Phase 3/5
Battle Report
(Almost certainly went overboard with this writeup)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Phase 4 Round 5
Dissection/Development Phase
100R
Current Designs:
Current Equipment:
Current Enemies:
Current Technology:
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Project PROMETHEUS: Supernatural Arms Race Phase 4/5
« Reply #292 on: July 29, 2017, 08:50:20 pm »

Well, let's discuss potential...

Our gear: We could probably sell technology, but suffer from the consequences of the enemy knowing about it.
 I do not think selling H.O.S.E. is an option, a solvent could be devastating to its effectiveness.
 Brighteyes is nice, but potentially reveals spectral signatures to the general public and given the enemy a chance to tell what we can and cannot see. We could potentially sell the Oversight design, but that probably isn't very attractive due to its reliability and range issues. It really is a bit focused towards combating alien threats to be an attractive product.
 Unobtanium is a gun, we could probably get away with selling the design, but it would be a pain to see it in the enemy's possession and letting them test whatever armour they have against our weaponry in controlled conditions is a bad thing.

Zombies: Knowing how they work might help fighting them, but I don't think that we can afford such specific actions.
 It may be possible to convert their allegiance? Cannon fodder would be useful and they don't seem to be unionised...
Fast zombies: A material tailored to the acid would be nice, but, again, a bit too specific.
 Knowing how their leg augmentations work might help with prosthetics...
 The "live" ones might be a useful chemical factory.

Skeletons could potentially grant magical bonuses. Again, cannon-fodder is nice and depending upon how it works we might be able to build deadmeat scouts that are made out of animated wood and rope with a composite-armour shell...
 Or we could study theur energies and try to come up with an incorporeal scouting or possession disruption...
Skeleton gear should probably be sold. It would be nice to do so without it being traced back to us though. We don't want them to find our money-trail.

Mages are human? It is either a very useless action to dissect them or something wonderful that leads to alien conspiracies or magical augmentations.
 Spellbooks are nice, and we might wantto rush them to get onto the good spells before making any designs. Alternatively we might want to have experience with a working spell before diving too far into the eldritch unknown.

Imps probably channel magic into specific spells naturally. It might be possible to turn imp-bits into fireball wands or something... They really don't seem that exciting to me.

Mongrels are, again, human. Potentially we find out that they have the same properties as a human, just with an enchantment that makes them inherently opposed to us and is thus unusable and gives them a few augmentations that we already mostly know about. Alternatively we can break the enchantment down into usable components and produce super-stimulants that multiply our soldiers' effectiveness.
 The living mongrel, though, is a potentially massive insight into the enemy operation. Even relatively mundane information could revolutionise our approach. It is also possible that it can be convinced to enter our employ, but, well "loose lips sink ships"...

The sword seems to be working well. Given that, as I understand it, there is no way to reverse-engineer any of its properties, I am inclined to leave them be. I do not think that the 50R would be worth it, and don't have any good ideas as to how ti integrate it into something. Flashbang gun?

Drakes are, no doubt, built out of nice stuff, and potentally could be harvested for flame-throwers, armour, medicinal agents, experiments into the effects of eating the hearts of your enemies... Our bullets ought to be pretty nice, and their armour did deflect them with ease, and may be resistant to magic and chemicals as well, but there is no guarantee that they are not ludicrously heavy...
Live drake? Dragonrider? Diplomacy? I would love to have a drake scientist in our employ! Or we could try to tame it, perhaps research taming things in general...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 29, 2017, 09:13:58 pm »

My Suggestion: Let our scientists play with the Black book, Perhaps there is an unanimating spell in there, or an easy spell for taking control of undead. Perhaps we could start producing Our own undead army to defend against the other guys.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 30, 2017, 02:22:32 am »

My suggestion would actually be next gen armour. The rest of our gear does it's job well, but we are now consistently taking  casualties which is harming performance and income. If we can produce some form of hardened full body armour, such as the X COM carapace armour, our soldiers would be able to survive these situations unscathed.

Just imagine what could have happened if our troops got ambushed by those zombies. We won't always be so lucky,  and we need to give our soldiers room for error

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 30, 2017, 03:30:55 am »

Loot Manager 2023
A networks of contacts designed to provide cursory analysis(such as similarities to historical records or presence of obscure but known materials and construction methods) of booty and an outlet by which to value and sell booty while minimising our organisation's information exposure.
Hopefully this will get us occasional comments on some curiosity about some acquired equipment, give us some basic idea of how much our stuff would get us if we sold it, give us options to sell stuff that we normally wouldn't(such as corpses), perhaps the odd warning that something would be valuable to research when it was not immediately apparent(such as seemingly-medieval gear from skeletons), and give us some resistance to being located by ne'er-do-wells.

Armour Mechanics I
Gothic full-plate can support itself, allowing a knight to carry heavier armour than they would otherwise be able. Technology has come a long way since then. It should be possible to design a basic framework for armour dynamics that can be used to produce heavy, rigid armour that still allows relatively free and swift movements, although perhaps somewhat mechanical...

I don't see our material sciences leaping too far just yet, so heavier seems to me like the quickest path to dramatic armour upgrades...

Corpse Vulnerabilities
Skeletons and zombies seem to have unnatural forces sustaining them. If we can find a common element that can be destabilised, then it might dramatically improve the pace at whic hthey can be dispatched.

Dead Drake Dissection
The drake is a bizarre creature... Let's see if it parts are valuable!
Read the First Post!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 30, 2017, 12:31:07 pm »

So, I like the idea of integrating armor and our mechanical leg techs to get a super-armor, but it'll be expensive.

We need the increased funding, and I don't really care where we get it. However, I'm going to bring up the grenade launcher, again, and modify it, again, in include nothing but fragmentation, HE, and HEAT. It'll give us the ability to kill anything that bothers us.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 30, 2017, 12:40:20 pm »

[1] Armour Mechanics I : Kashyyk

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 30, 2017, 12:42:54 pm »

Quote from: Votes
[1] Armour Mechanics I : Kashyyk
(1) Loot Manager 2023: Madman

Hibou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 30, 2017, 03:40:52 pm »

The one thing that concerned me the most that mission was the remarkable durability of the drakes. If our intel is to be believed, we'll be seeing more of them and in tougher varieties. We got pretty lucky this round with the H.O.S.E., but we'll need either need to cook up a more powerful adhesive, or look into explosive/armor penetrating weapons for our soldiers that don't rely on arm power. So here's what I propose-

Project B.O.O.M.
(Ballistic, Orbital, and Other Missiles)

A new research team is assembled with one purpose and one purpose only: build things that explode. Their objective will be to establish facilities and blueprint designs for the creation of fuel, controlled explosive devices, nozzles, tanks, fins, and all manner of other parts and pieces that go into making a flying bomb. This is all done with the end goal being creating viable and reliable rocket and grenade launchers for use in the field.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 42