Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 42

Author Topic: Project PROMETHEUS: Supernatural Arms Race Phase 1/11  (Read 43015 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Project PROMETHEUS: Supernatural Arms Race Phase 4/4
« Reply #255 on: July 24, 2017, 08:03:18 pm »

Well, Stirk oughta stop by with a price point for us soon.

Then we can see what's worth doing.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 24, 2017, 08:53:06 pm »

Okay, hear me out

Quote from: Advanced Firearms Research
We've been throwing ourselves at development without doing research, so let's see what the cutting edge of infantry weaponry development looks like before trying to make our own versions. With a focus on reliable robust designs, we should be much better able to arm our soldiers when sending them into the field.

It'll allow us to better make conventional weaponry, like the Safety Margin, as well as help set us up for incorporating more Arcane elements into our equipment.

100R
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 24, 2017, 09:00:34 pm »

120R to spend or save.
2, crazyabe, Madman: Translate the red Spell book.
0: 200R Connections Theory
0: 50R He who slays demons becomes what he fears...
0: 50R Cybernetic Arms
0: 100R REAVER Explosives Packages
1, RAM: Study the artefact sword
1, Hibou: 50R S.T.E.E.L.
1, SMMI: 100R Advanced Firearms Research
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 24, 2017, 09:04:09 pm »

That's going to preclude us from buying almost ANY new tech, SMMI.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 24, 2017, 10:30:54 pm »

Given how many bugs we have been getting, I like the idea of a general proficiency upgrade, but I really don't see us getting much out of next turn with only 20R in our pockets. We probably ought to sell some stuff, which I would like to hold off on until we have invested into some subterfuge, but meh... it is an option. Of course, with no cash to actually buy anything knew, it locks us into revising our existing gear, and I would dearly love to revise some of The Unobtanium's rolls, so I am sort of tempted to dive into it for selfish reasons, but that is probably unwise. We really need our finances sorted somehow...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 24, 2017, 11:39:53 pm »

And Lo, once again PROMETHEUS steals fire from the Gods!

Translation of the red spellbook started by photocopying every page, keeping a digital copy of the strange runes in the project's most secure databases. Meanwhile, separate teams attempted to recreate the hand symbols used by the Mages taken by the soldier's body camera. An interrogation of the captured Mongrel was also attempted, but he has yet to return to his human form and little information was received. Photocopies of the book were then sent to outside experts authorized with sensitive information, with several theories as to their origin. Various language experts tend to circle several runes, suggesting that they are related to a multitude of long-dead languages or even pictographs from around the globe. Unfortunately, putting all the suggested meanings together only leads to nonsense sentences.

Finally, a researcher suggested putting it all together. They donned the fallen wizard's robes-putting the book in a special pocket therein- and mimicked the hand signals. Surprisingly, a small amount of fire sprayed from his hands. It was nowhere near the amount pictured in the recording, but it was certainly a start. He noticed that the book within his pocket was glowing slightly while the spell was cast. An observer suggested removing it, so it could be examined more closely. The researcher once again made the hand signals, only to fail to cast any fire. He then sat down, placing the book on his lap, and attempted again successfully. It seems contact with the book is necessary to cast spells at this level-explaining why the Mages had the books with them in the first place. The book glowed once again: opening it while a spell was cast showed that only a single line out of the book was glowing at a time. Every hand motion caused a single rune to glow-likely meaning that they either represented that motion or were instructions on how to perform that motion.

Armed with this knowledge, the researchers took shifts making random hand motions wearing the robes until the book glowed while a camera recorded the bizarre session. One researcher made his attempts without the robes, successfully causing the book to glow, allowing the others to go without (the later researchers sighed in relief-the robe had picked up a foul smell from the dozens of researchers using it while moving around and occasionally warming the room with fire). Slowly but surely, this brute-force translation picked out more and more runes (a stricter methodology was adopted after several hours of random flailing got old). Eventually entire lines had been deciphered-allowing researchers to cast out currently unobserved spells.

After a good portion of the book had been deciphered by researchers working around the clock, attempts were made to replicate the book itself. The digital copy was printed and distributed to the researchers, but they failed to work as planned. Reluctantly, a page was ripped out of the book and tested. It was utilized successfully in spell-casting, even when removed from the book. More reluctantly a rune was removed and chemically analyzed. It was certainly not mundane ink-it contained a variety of rare metals and exotic elements mixed in a seemingly random ratio. Gold, silver, mercury, silicon, tungsten, even radium and uranium in trace amounts. Unfortunately, each rune seems to have a different chemical makeup. As such the entire book (which contains no repeating runes) had to be broken down for examination. Fortunately, they can now be recreated given enough resources.

Since this is getting long, here is the general rundown:
You have gained Spellcasting One!
-You may now design spells in the Design phase and produce them in the Production phase. One spell is enough to equip one soldier, and they are an item for all intents and purposes.
-At this level, spells may not be utilized with heavy armor, weapons, or equipment due to the picky hand signals needed to cast them.
-Fire related spells will generally be more effective due to previous research (basically acting as one technology level higher), however other spells are possible.
-Different users seem to have different affinity for spell-casting. Practice does seem to increase this affinity, spellcasters might start out weak but will improve in time (provided they survive.)

Its getting late so I am sure I forgot something, but that should be the jest of it.

Phase 1 Round 5
Design Phase
120R
Current Designs:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Current Equipment:
Current Enemies:

Current Technology:
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 11:49:43 pm by Stirk »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Project PROMETHEUS: Supernatural Arms Race Phase 1/5
« Reply #261 on: July 25, 2017, 08:13:50 am »

Perhaps you meant gist?

Or is this about to become some form of cosmic joke?

Anyway, as for designs...the grenade launcher. Which I have to...yep. I'll go find that.
Safety Margin
Built along the lines of modern military equipment, this 6-round revolver-style 40mm grenade launcher fires semi-automatically, can be manually set to a specific chamber (Allows multiple loads: i.e., silver frag in chamber 5, and you've loaded HEAT in Chamber 1, and there's a werewolf right there. This system allows you to just rotate backwards two chambers and pull the trigger), and utilizes a variety of ammunition, including HE, HEAT, incendiary---white phosphorus or napalm, something that doesn't stop burning--- fragmentation, silver-based fragmentation, a nonlethal riot-control-style solid rubber shot, and a flare round. The detonate on impact or timer. All the grenades can be thrown by hand if necessary, detonating on timer.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 25, 2017, 09:53:27 am »

Well damn, that's nice.

Price Quotes on Future Research?
Quote from: Enchantment
The analysis of the Red Book suggests that this arcane system has a combination of inputs and outputs with a resemblance of current computer programming science. From that logic, we should be able to set up a system where we can have preprogrammed spells enruned into objects that require but a button press to cast them. We "just" need to figure out how to link rune activations into other rune activations.

I expect that analysis of the Blue Book and the Artifact Sword will either support this premise or display that there are 2 to 3 different magic systems in play.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 25, 2017, 11:44:37 am »

Perhaps you meant gist?

Or is this about to become some form of cosmic joke?

I most certainly meant jest.

Well damn, that's nice.

Price Quotes on Future Research?
Quote from: Enchantment
The analysis of the Red Book suggests that this arcane system has a combination of inputs and outputs with a resemblance of current computer programming science. From that logic, we should be able to set up a system where we can have preprogrammed spells enruned into objects that require but a button press to cast them. We "just" need to figure out how to link rune activations into other rune activations.

I expect that analysis of the Blue Book and the Artifact Sword will either support this premise or display that there are 2 to 3 different magic systems in play.

Probably not possible at the current Spellcasting level. Spells can be engraved on weapons, but will still need hand motions to cast as usual.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 25, 2017, 06:58:00 pm »

I am just going to drop in a suggestion for rerolling The Unobtanium's effectiveness. We are a bit strapped for cash and we can't roll worse. Clearly our engineers were drunk on duty and the design can be greatly enhanced by the introduction of a modicum of sobriety...
Revise Unobtanium's effectiveness. proposal| result
I suspect that much of its unreliability is accounting for its ineffectiveness. Increasing its effectiveness may well solve most of the unreliability issues... Unless... I think that a 2 on flaws is good, but I might be wrong...

The cost is bad but it could have been a 9 or 10 so there are 7 options for improvement and 2 for being worse. burning a design for a better than one in four chance of going bad doesn't sit well. Unless, I guess we wouldn't be force to use the new design if it were worse... Maybe revision rolls could roll such that only equal or better were options? So, like, an 8 on cost would roll 1d8 to be revises, so 8 is the worst roll. That wayu you would still have, like, a 50% chance to improve an almost-perfect roll, which seems fair for spending a design on it, but getting nothing would still be an option too...

I am also interested in a short-ranged weapon and we do seem like we will be needing artillery...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Hibou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 26, 2017, 01:44:05 am »

Well I'm still on an armor kick so here comes...

"Scout" Type Light Body Armor

This is a variation of body armor that takes the phrase "body armor" as loosely as possible. In reality, the Scout set is designed to really protect only the most vital areas of the body: the torso, head, and neck. It features the standard kevlar/ceramic composite layering that the Interceptor set uses, however the armor plates are set in a nylon plate carrier vest to cut down on weight and allow better air flow through the armor. At the behest of the quality assurance team another triangular plate is attached at the base of the vest on the front and back to protect the groin and buttocks from enemy fire. In addition, kevlar lined elbow and knee pads are issued along with each set to allow for rolling, sliding, and diving without having to worry about tearing up your clothes.

The head covering, instead of a helmet, is a layered kevlar hood attached to the vest that covers the top, sides, and back of the head along with added protection for the neck. Admittedly, the soft fabric doesn't do much to stop the bruising from taking fire to the area but it does stop penetration and significantly reduces weight. Several nylon straps running across the chest allow the attachment of pouches, pockets, cupholders, and even additional straps to hold whatever equipment the soldier could be carrying while on a mission. These straps also serve a dual purpose of holding the plates in place as tightly as possible to ensure that noise levels are kept to a minimum in the case that a soldier needs to switch into a more clandestine role.

The Scout set is meant to provide as much protection as possible with the least amount of weight to allow our soldiers to be as mobile, down low, and unencumbered as possible in the field to perform at maximum capacity in any task that requires an exceptional amount of dexterity or finesse.

Though, it might be a little early for this kind of armor without any spells. SO.

SF1 "Firelob"

The Ring of Fire is a pyrokinesis based spell that utilizes the destructive power of fire as an indirect fire/squad support weapon. This spell takes the already fairly well understood fireball spell and takes it a step further by giving the firey projectile some extra weight as it travels through the air. The result is an arcing, burning, explosive projectile that has no weight and little setup time. The reason for this arc is so that the caster can remain behind their more durable squadmates, raining down fire from above while remaining at a safe distance.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 26, 2017, 02:52:51 am »

"Scout" Type Light Body Armor
This seems to have the advantage of leaving limbs exposed to dismemberment, thus increasing the pressure upon our researchers to develop replacement limbs. No doubt certain designers would feel inclined to favour such ends...

If everyone is going around making spells now, then, meh...
Politely Act to Incapacitate a Nemesis
A fire spells designs to instantly boil all of the target's exposed mucous. It is hoped that [the lack of interaction with flesh or internal spaces] will limit their ability to resist the effects of a targeted spell, while still being quite effective as a deterrent. Look into the possibility of expanding the effect to hair and nails.

Secret Combustion Offers Perception Expansion
A Spell intended to mark and track an opponent. It prodeces a large mane of ephemeral and non-burny flames that visibly emanates from the target. Ideally this would be supernaturally visible to a linked subject, enabling them to see the flames through visual obstructions. Ideally it also could be used on targets identified only through detection equipment.

Local Intervention for Vital Extensions
The magician acts as a surrogate for the vital functions of the subject, effectively acting as a life-support system until proper medical facilities can be arranged. Ideally this would include an automatic cut-off to prevent the loss of the magician, regardless of their intentions...
Read the First Post!

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 26, 2017, 10:48:03 pm »

V O T E
O
T
E

Hibou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 26, 2017, 11:54:35 pm »

1: Revise Unobtanium's Effectiveness, Hibou
0: "Scout" Light Body Armor
0: SB1 "Firelob"
0: P.A.I.N.
0: S.C.O.P.E.
0: L.I.V.E.

Because while spells are cool and all, a gun that gets the job done is worth its weight in gold. And you can wield it regardless of what you're wearing.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 27, 2017, 06:41:50 am »

V     V   V    TOVOT ETOV
 O   O  O   O    O   OV
  T T   T   T    T   T
   E      E      E   EVOT

0: Safety Margin:
1: Revise Unobtanium's Effectiveness:  Hibou
0: "Scout" Light Body Armor:
0: SB1 "Firelob":
0: P.A.I.N.:
0: S.C.O.P.E.:
0: L.I.V.E.:
Ergh... I keep being about to vote and then suddenly getting visions of a terrible terrible future and so much regret. Imma wait until someone else votes...
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 42