Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 42

Author Topic: Project PROMETHEUS: Supernatural Arms Race Phase 1/11  (Read 43020 times)

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
Re: Project PROMETHEUS: Supernatural Arms Race Phase 4/4
« Reply #240 on: July 21, 2017, 07:27:29 pm »

My thought: We should really invest in seeing if we can cheaply get Bullets with crosses inscribed on them, or civilian grade water guns + holy water.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 21, 2017, 07:50:26 pm »

I wonder what it would take to get aura-detecting satellites...

A development phase, a production phase, and a decent resource investment.

Hm. Crap.

I forgot that we're facing an increasingly unified and directed enemy. This is officially interesting, guys. And we're so far behind the curve right now (Or so it feels like) that I am worried we're about to see how much damage can be done to basically-unarmored soldiers. I think we investigate that spellbook now. We've been sitting on it, and while our other actions have been mostly worthwhile, it's probably time to stop waiting on it, and find out the basics.

It's going to take 50R, but hopefully we can do that and get ourselves...whatever we need to buy.

Unless I said otherwise before, dissecting/investigating enemy materiel only cost the materiel investigated. Investigating the spellbook means you lose the spellbook, but otherwise costs no resources.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 21, 2017, 07:58:15 pm »

Well yeah, I was talking about doing it in the process of the Aura Investigations thing.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 21, 2017, 09:24:44 pm »

Does investigating the artefact to figure out what it does cost us the artefact? Or maybe it pseudo-costs us the artefact, such as bonding it to someone or something and making it impossible to sell or incorporate?

Crosses and holy-water may well help, as might silver and iron and various herbs and roots and what-have-you, but all we have to go on is story-books. We could invest a lot in pure-worked-iron+silver+wood+garlic+burnt-feather+running-water+salt+... shotgun shells and find that they do nothing... I feel that going into battle with waterguns filled with holy-water just becausse we saw it work in a movie would be unwise. I mean, sure, we could pack one in the boot and squirt it at some isolated skeletons if we get a chance, but for all we know they will self-destruct the skeleton to feed false information, or the holywater will go inert after a few minutes, and we will get a false result... It is the sort of thing that, in my humble opinion, ought to be reserved for controlled testing, unless we get desperate...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 21, 2017, 09:30:36 pm »

We need some method of binding those skeleton spirits to their physical forms.

Especially the knights/armored ones.

I'm going to push for the grenade launcher this turn. We need some firepower. I think it might be time to go HE/HEAT instead of frag and silver frag, though.
Putting a HEAT contact grenade on the chest of a Knight would make such a satisfying sight.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 21, 2017, 10:02:11 pm »

Does investigating the artefact to figure out what it does cost us the artefact? Or maybe it pseudo-costs us the artefact, such as bonding it to someone or something and making it impossible to sell or incorporate?

Crosses and holy-water may well help, as might silver and iron and various herbs and roots and what-have-you, but all we have to go on is story-books. We could invest a lot in pure-worked-iron+silver+wood+garlic+burnt-feather+running-water+salt+... shotgun shells and find that they do nothing... I feel that going into battle with waterguns filled with holy-water just becausse we saw it work in a movie would be unwise. I mean, sure, we could pack one in the boot and squirt it at some isolated skeletons if we get a chance, but for all we know they will self-destruct the skeleton to feed false information, or the holywater will go inert after a few minutes, and we will get a false result... It is the sort of thing that, in my humble opinion, ought to be reserved for controlled testing, unless we get desperate...

No, it simply costs you the turn which could be spent elsewhere. The same effect can be created by sending the weapon out on missions until the soldiers figure out how to use it, and the turn is effectively wasted if you ever lose the artifact (or if it turns out to be particularly impractical). You can still decide to sell it, or equip it to whoever you want.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 21, 2017, 10:08:56 pm »

Well yeah, I was talking about doing it in the process of the Aura Investigations thing.
We can only do one project per phase, though perhaps a large project could encompass refining the aura understanding by involving spectral sensors with the spellbook examination?
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Hibou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 21, 2017, 10:20:33 pm »

Well while magic is cool and all, what really caught my eye during that mission was the bulletproof black knight. So here comes...

PROJECT S.T.E.E.L.
(Supercomposite Titan Exoskeleton for Extension of Life)

Project STEEL aims to produce a form of high-tech composite armor out of modern materials like bullet resistant ceramics and silicon carbide plates to replace the reliable but aging kevlar/steel the Interceptor armor is (probably) made of. This armor is first and foremost meant to be put on soldiers to be used as body armor, but in the event that we can expand its use further, could be put onto assault vehicles, handheld ballistic shields, and other things that we don't want holes in.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 22, 2017, 12:27:35 am »

Well while magic is cool and all, what really caught my eye during that mission was the bulletproof black knight. So here comes...

PROJECT S.T.E.E.L.
(Supercomposite Titan Exoskeleton for Extension of Life)

Project STEEL aims to produce a form of high-tech composite armor out of modern materials like bullet resistant ceramics and silicon carbide plates to replace the reliable but aging kevlar/steel the Interceptor armor is (probably) made of. This armor is first and foremost meant to be put on soldiers to be used as body armor, but in the event that we can expand its use further, could be put onto assault vehicles, handheld ballistic shields, and other things that we don't want holes in.

50R, would need a design to utilize (and just for the record, Interceptor body armor is kevlar with ceramic plate inserts).

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 22, 2017, 07:29:55 am »

You can't call it an exoskeleton if it doesn't actually make use of the prosthetics tech to make it partially powered.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: July 22, 2017, 03:15:57 pm »

Exoskeletons are just a skeleton that is on the outside. Endoskeletons are just skeletons that are on the inside, they don't include the muscles or hydraulics or whatever that actually power the skeletons. Of course, skeletons are largely structural rather than protective, even exoskeletons, so calling it an exoskeleton if it isn't structural is a bit of a stretch. But you see things like gothic plate where the armour largely supports itself and wouldn't work if, for example, you tried to wear it without the shoes... It probably isn't right to call it an exoskeleton if it isn't somehow welded onto the skin, but otherwise the term should be valid enough...
Read the First Post!

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 23, 2017, 07:43:30 pm »

Still need them votes.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 23, 2017, 07:50:51 pm »

120R to spend or save.
1, crazyabe: Translate the red Spell book.
0: 200R Connections Theory
0: 50R He who slays demons becomes what he fears...
0: 50R Cybernetic Arms
0: 100R REAVER Explosives Packages
1, RAM: Study the artefact sword
1, Hibou: 50R S.T.E.E.L.
Read the First Post!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 23, 2017, 08:37:22 pm »

120R to spend or save.
2, crazyabe, Madman: Translate the red Spell book.
0: 200R Connections Theory
0: 50R He who slays demons becomes what he fears...
0: 50R Cybernetic Arms
0: 100R REAVER Explosives Packages
1, RAM: Study the artefact sword
1, Hibou: 50R S.T.E.E.L.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 24, 2017, 04:05:58 pm »

Okay, hear me out

Quote from: Advanced Firearms Research
We've been throwing ourselves at development without doing research, so let's see what the cutting edge of infantry weaponry development looks like before trying to make our own versions. With a focus on reliable robust designs, we should be much better able to arm our soldiers when sending them into the field.

It'll allow us to better make conventional weaponry, like the Safety Margin, as well as help set us up for incorporating more Arcane elements into our equipment.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 42