Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42

Author Topic: Project PROMETHEUS: Supernatural Arms Race Phase 1/11  (Read 42915 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Project PROMETHEUS: Supernatural Arms Race Phase 2/10
« Reply #600 on: January 12, 2018, 06:54:49 pm »

Quote from: Don't Lose Everything
Deploy soldiers as per previous engagements with one change: purchase and equip a JEDI book to an Unobtainium operator (Alternative replacements?).

Quote from: Votebox
Give gem to a female solider, buy a JEDI, go fight some stuff: (2) Hibou, RAM
Plan Don't Lose Everything: (1) Madman

Can we please not succumb to the temptation to be like our enemy? We haven't even tried magic yet. Let's try something thoroughly LESS risky first, OK? Also, please do remember that if you hand that amulet to a soldier, the soldier is a vampire thing FOREVER.

Also, Stirk, it looks like you forgot the bonuses to our design rolls that we were supposed to have, as there is a 10 for a Complications there (And one on a Cost), and that's not possible on a D10-1.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: January 12, 2018, 07:00:26 pm »

Yep. Totally didn't apply any of your Christmas bonuses. Quick and dirty fix for now, I'll make sure everything is ship-shape for the next update.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: January 17, 2018, 12:17:13 pm »

Give gem to a female solider, buy a JEDI, go fight some stuff: (2) Hibou, RAM
Plan Don't Lose Everything: (2) Madman, Blood_Librarian

if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: January 17, 2018, 02:08:36 pm »

Darn. Just when I was about to update, we go and tie. Guess I'll have to wait until its broken then :(

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: January 17, 2018, 02:10:25 pm »

Could just randomly pick one.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Hibou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: January 17, 2018, 09:11:05 pm »

Give gem to a female solider, buy a JEDI, go fight some stuff: (1) RAM
Plan Don't Lose Everything: (3) Madman, Blood_Librarian, Hibou

I'll swap. I was thinking about it and, while the gem seems cool, right now we're just going to be running normal missions again. I think the JEDI will probably bring enough firepower to a regular mission without having to pop one of our legendaries just yet. Now, if we're going to do a boss fight? Different story.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: January 18, 2018, 12:08:11 am »

Ehh, it sounds as though it takes time to power up, but meh, good on you for breaking the tie!
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

SamSpeeds

• Bay Watcher
  • ah ah ah oooh yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: January 18, 2018, 09:16:35 am »

Give gem to a female solider, buy a JEDI, go fight some stuff: (1) RAM
Plan Don't Lose Everything: (4) Madman, Blood_Librarian, Hibou, SamSpeeds

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: January 19, 2018, 06:34:18 pm »

Alrighty, updating soon.
Since we are starting to get a bunch of gear, its time to reconfirm the loadout.

Soldier 1: Brighteyes, conventional.
Soldier 2: Brighteyes, conventional.
Soldier 3: Unobtanium, BATMAN, VISOR, conventional.
Soldier 4: Unobtanium, BATMAN, conventional
Soldier 5: Excalibur, BATMAN, conventional.
Soldier 6: H.O.S.E, Conventional.
Soldier 7: Safety Margin, Conventional

"Conventional" indicates that they have conventional weapons unless noted (including rifle, grenades, handgun, armor, etc).

It appears that the current plan does includes buying a JEDI, which will go to soldier 1/2 at random. Magic can not be used with heavy armor, if it is to be given to the Unobtanium operator than they must switch out their armor.
This will be included in future updates so I can keep track of what exactly is going on.

Is this loadout correct?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 06:47:07 pm by Stirk »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: January 19, 2018, 06:47:27 pm »

That loadout sounds correct.

And yes, the currently-leading plan does indeed mention a JEDI (It's up there in a quote), though I'd definitely agree with giving it to a Brighteyes operator instead of an Unobtainium operator.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: January 19, 2018, 06:54:40 pm »

That loadout sounds correct.

And yes, the currently-leading plan does indeed mention a JEDI (It's up there in a quote), though I'd definitely agree with giving it to a Brighteyes operator instead of an Unobtainium operator.

I just edited the clarification :0. Its been a while since I said it, but Tier 1 magic can only be used with light armor (thus Heavy BATMAN would have to be changed out).

While I am reminding everyone of ancient rules, the Artifact can be combined into another object for a power-boost. If you don't want to use the Kiss for its intended purpose, you can always find another way to weaponize it. As it is fully researched, you may now combine it with another item for a power boost depending on how strongly the artifact relates to the item.

Alright, continuing the writeup now. Will take dinner break soon, then finish later.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: January 19, 2018, 08:07:43 pm »

Battle Report (3/10)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yep! The long awaited Panic analogue is coming next turn! Yay!

Phase 4 Round 10
Dissection/Development
110R
Current Designs:
Current Equipment:
Spoiler: Loadout (click to show/hide)
Current Enemies:
Current Technology:
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 09:53:01 pm by Stirk »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Project PROMETHEUS: Supernatural Arms Race Phase 4/10
« Reply #612 on: January 24, 2018, 08:21:36 pm »

Research Enchantments
Magic, right now, is "activated" by a thinking being. We want to change that, so that we can make large profits selling magic items improve our soldiers' equipment and make them more effective. This project, therefore, delves into the ways that the magic in our books is "stored" there, and how it is activated, by studying soldiers who are being trained to utilize JEDI magic with aura-sensing equipment. In this way, we hope to develop at least a basic understanding of how to work with non-activated magic.

We could then follow it with:

Deepfreeze
A much-reduced version of the JEDI book, this book compiles our offensive ice spells only, to aid our soldiers in dealing with larger enemies, which is a perennial problem for our organization.

SamSpeeds

• Bay Watcher
  • ah ah ah oooh yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: January 25, 2018, 08:02:58 am »

Quote from: Research Votes
Enchantments (2): Madman, SamSpeeds

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: January 29, 2018, 08:49:53 pm »

(Right! Finally a research project you have to roll for! 8! A pass.)

Attempting to truly innovate magic, rather than simply copying and extrapolating what we find in the field, has proven to be a difficult task. Test to engrave sticks with a variety of inexpensive enchantments proved futile during the first phase of the test. No matter what was done, a human had to be present and casting a spell in order to use the magic. Aura reading the Jedi users reveals a very strong aura signature during the casting, but it is released from the soldier himself rather than the book. While the book still had to be present, changing its location on the soldier had no effect on the reading's location. Its possible that the spells arn't "storing" anything, perhaps acting as a form of "key" or "catalyst" to activate magic that is "stored" elsewhere (possibly theories include: inside the soldier himself, an ambient source of magic in the atmosphere, an alternate dimension or parallel universe that all these weird things are coming out of). As expected, weaker spellcasters have a weaker aura reading. The reading appears to be stable across spells, the same reading is received from the same caster weather or not he is using a spell that warms up drinks or a five minute spell to release a hurricane of fire.  Attempts to record video and voices, playing them back as needed in a speed up fashion, also fail.

During the second phase of testing, the scientists finally have some success. Noting a spell for a "Fire Trap" in the JEDI, a relatively complicated spell that creates a sigil on the ground. If an enemy steps on the sigil, it sends up a column of fire like a magic land mine. Its long casting time and the ease of avoiding the bright red markings made it less than practical for the field, however its use introduces something simple and elegant: Conditionals. The wording of the spell goes something like "Create a column of fire if/when stepped on". Utilizing this system, it is possible to create spells that are cast later, when certain conditions are met. These conditions can be fairly simple, such as "when the trigger is pulled" or "when this sword is swung". A human still has to be present to do the song and dance when the initial spell is cast, but nobody has to be present when the condition is met.

Unfortunately, there are some downsides. Conditionals take a long time to cast. While it is fine when we have plenty of downtime, such as before a mission, it means that under practical conditions enchantments can not be done in the field. That would not be a big problem if not for the next point: most conditionals fade when met. All tested equipment had a certain amount of "ammunition" or "charges". Once these run out, the spell is over and the magic stops functioning. Some simpler, weaker conditionals lasted additional "castings", theoretically we can get more "charges" if we develop the spell correctly (or design a weak spell from the outset).

Finally, our understanding of the spell is not complete. The original Fire Trap creates its own magical sigil on the ground, while none of our attempts at enchantment do the same. It is not clear why, each word has been thoroughly tested to derive its function. It would seem that there is something in the word's combination that created the sigil, which we have yet been able to replicate. As such, we must engrave our own sigil into the equipment. This is an expensive process utilizing the same material that goes into the spellbooks, preventing us from simply enchanting all of our weapons once we design the correct spell. Perhaps with more "liberated" knowledge this limitation can be removed, otherwise it would take fairly intense research. Attempts to weaponize the Fire Trap in grenades or projectiles is met with failure- unfortunately, its wording specifies that it must be stepped on to work making other forms of contact non-operational. Even shooting the target's feet is not enough to activate it.

((Mechanically, Tier 1 enchantments will be counted as features for design purposes.))

Phase 1 Round 11
Design Phase
110R
Current Designs:
Current Equipment:
Spoiler: Loadout (click to show/hide)
Current Enemies:
Current Technology:

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42