Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 42

Author Topic: Project PROMETHEUS: Supernatural Arms Race Phase 1/11  (Read 42897 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Project PROMETHEUS: Supernatural Arms Race Phase 1/9
« Reply #525 on: October 29, 2017, 02:09:58 pm »

Effectiveness: 9! Very Effective!
Cost: 7! Expensive (225R)
Complications: 3! Glitches

Directly stealing our enemies' magic was a relatively simple process, though the resources put into the large number of glyphs means that it is also expensive relative to other means. Training is also a relatively simple process, soldiers found to have high magic capability have begun preliminary training so they will be prepared in the case one is deployed. This method means that our soldiers will be equipped with a broad range of magic-mostly focused on "raw" elemental abilities such as shooting fire or throwing ice spears. Attempting spells not directly written in the book is impossible. As a side effect of the large amount of runes, it is possible that one may be a "misprint" or otherwise damaged without anyone noticing. This causes strange effects when the codded spell is cast-typically closely related to the intended result with some added strangeness. Thankfully, these seem to be fairly rare.

Halloween Spooktacular ~Trick or Treat?~
Perhaps the most relevant holiday to our mission, PROMETHEUS holds a costume party funded by one of the suits. Brighteyes stand guard at the door to insure that the costumes are just costumes. Alongside the scientists, engineers, and other researchers, the soldiers are invited providing a rare chance for the group to mingle in a casual environment. Families of all involved are also invited-with separate entertainment being provided for the children. The area is decorated appropriately, with jack-o-lanterns, plastic skeletons, and paper bats scattered randomly along the walls. As for entertainment, there is a Haunted house, apple bobbing, candied/caramel apples, several bowls filled with assorted chocolates, a couple tables placed for card games, a few chess boards, and more filling food.

And alcohol. Lots of alcohol. Both seasonal spiced cider and year-round beer and wine. Pay attention to this, it becomes important later.

This ends up being good for moral. In addition, ideas and inventions are casually discussed among the group, actually leading to something that is potentially workable! ...Unfortunately, this is were the alcohol kicks in. It isn't quite obvious if these new ideas are good ones or not.

Mechanics: You get a free second design or reroll! What is the catch? You don't get to see what you rolled until the design is field tested! Will it be a treat...or a trick? On the bright side, whatever the outcome, you get a discount to its Price for the first item.

Phase 1 Round 9 (Halloween Special)
Design Phase
120R
Current Designs:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Current Equipment:
Current Enemies:
Current Technology:
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Project PROMETHEUS: Supernatural Arms Race Phase 1/8
« Reply #526 on: October 29, 2017, 03:08:30 pm »

The safety Margin rolled a 10 on complications. We can reroll the 10 and guarantee that it will not be worse. Thus goes my effort to cheat the system.
Revise Safety Margin: Reduced Safety Margin
While we expected it to be heavy, the extent of that seems excessive. Going over the notes it seems that various hardening efforts were to be made to the ammunition to allow armour-piercing. This seems sensible when dealing with unknown threats, provided you are not using ammunition with a contact trigger... We hope to find and remove hardened tips from the ammunition, reducing its weight and thus the force required to propel them, for an overall reduction in weight.
While collateral damage is inevitable with explosive and incendiary rounds, we hope to apply more focus to the fragmentation and shaped-charge rounds to direct more of the force into the fragments or forward angles respectively. With luck this will cause the fragmentation rounds to produce more scattered-incidental damage and less broad-obliteration. The shaped-charge rounds likewise ought to project more of their force forward and into the target, and less around and across the general region of the target.
Finally we are tightening up the arming mechanism to make it less responsive to brief changes in velocity. It ought to have to travel for at least a metre at something vaguely within the realm of projectile velocities before arming. This has the issue of making point-blank deployment ineffective, so users should be advised that suicide ploys won't work...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Project PROMETHEUS: Supernatural Arms Race Phase 1/9~Halloween Event~
« Reply #527 on: October 29, 2017, 03:35:06 pm »

We could also reroll the (Painful!) cost of JEDI, since the Safety Margin doesn't actually need to be anything BUT a heavy weapon of mass destruction. We'll immediately know if we've fixed the cost, of course, because it'll be cheaper if we did! (And if not, a discount is applied anyway and we can just go back to the previous cost, because documentation!)
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: October 29, 2017, 04:26:25 pm »

The cost is painful because it is a general purpose magic book, with loads-and-loads of runes, that probably need to be assembled slowly, rather than a focused spell that can be cast quickly and cheaply. Not that such is a bad thing, but the flaws are inherent. The safety margin will always blow things up, but there is no reason for it to explode if it gets shot, collateral damage can be mitigated to a point where severely damaged remains can be recovered and processed for materials(a patchwork dragon-hide trenchcoat may not be pretty, but so long as dragon-hide thread was used it will still be fire-resistant. Well, unless it is one of those dragons that seems more like a snake covered with poisonous spines, really, "dragon" can apply to most anything... but the point remains that you can blow up a big critter and still recover bits, or even hit it with a H.E.A.T. round and have a relatively small entry-wound...) and clearly the weight can be reduced to increase the gear that can accompany it. There is a huge difference between the logical expression of the consequences of a heavy weapon when a 10 is rolled compared to most anything else. Meanwhile I can't see us getting J.E.D.I.I. to go below 200R... Massive cost is inherent to the design, and a 7 is not a terrible roll.

Visual Interface for Sensory Overlay and Regulation
An armoured helmet and backpack that features a "heads-up display" and attitude sensors to dynamically print a Brighteyes' sensor output onto the wearer's vision. The brighteyes will e dirstibruted over the helmet, shoulders, and backpack, to maintain its prior functions with minimal obstruction and no need to be carried in hand. The backpack should contain a the power and processing components, while also functioning as a standard backpack, albeit with less free space. Including a transmitter to broadcast mission data to mission control, and a recording device to assist in debriefings with respect to alien threats, would be beneficial. Additionally, implementing systems to reduce glare and protect against freak optical, audio, and chemical input would be a wise precaution.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: October 29, 2017, 04:36:23 pm »

Actually a seven IS a terrible roll---you want HIGH for EFFECTIVENESS, LOW for COST and BUGS.

Yeah, Stirk uses a really confusing and weird rolling system. Roll with it (Ba-dum tssh)
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: October 29, 2017, 09:09:00 pm »

7 is not "terrible". Seven is "below average in quality" but is still closer to the average than the worst. There is a 40% chance of no improvement. If one rolled twice there would be a... 4% chance of a 7 average compared to a 1% chance of a 10 average and a 5% chance of a 5.5 average? 7 is not a good roll, but it is very far from terrible.
Read the First Post!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: October 29, 2017, 09:21:48 pm »

For this particular setting....It's a terrible role. We NEED less than 200+ resources cost, otherwise we might as well never buy it because mundane is more effective.

Until and unless one of the artifacts we uncover happens to be a book of Holy/Light/Healing magic that includes a 'Holy Fire' spell for burning up werewolves and possibly also a 'Healing Spell'.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: October 29, 2017, 11:24:13 pm »

I find it odd to assume that a better roll would go below 200. To get from 25 to 0 from a 7 to 1 would about 3.5 per point... plausible... I might even go to 5 per point with a bonus five for reaching one, then we could get down to 185... if we rolled a 1... ... ... an inversion to a 4 would only get us to 210...

Bear in mind that the proposal was for something extremely expensive. We did not design a spell, we designed a wizard. They can apply cold to snuff fires or heat to purge infestations. They can cook and preserve, produce water-vapour, freeze a chemical trap... Of course, it is not particularly optimised for combat, they would be more of a combat engineer than a telearsonist, but there is massive versatility there and that is what is being paid for. No amount of good rolls will stop an expensive design from being expensive, it'll just change it from suffocating to oppressive... Likewise I wouldn't expect the safety margin to be safe in close quarters, always leave a pristine corpse, and be light enough to use as a sidearm, but it currently has legitimate problems and probably shouldn't be in the field as is considering that there is a constant risk of converting a whole team and their gear into a vapour if it gets punctured by a stray's claw.
Read the First Post!

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: October 30, 2017, 07:03:26 pm »

I really should have predicted that everyone involved would try to game the system >_>.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: October 30, 2017, 07:33:07 pm »

I made my system-gaming openly and honestly. And then I submitted a legitimate design too.

0: Reduced Safety Margin
1, Madman198237: reroll J.E.D.I.I. cost
1, RAM: V.I.S.O.R.
Read the First Post!

Hibou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: October 31, 2017, 08:58:22 pm »

0: Reduced Safety Margin
1, Madman198237: reroll J.E.D.I.I. cost
2, RAM, Hibou: V.I.S.O.R.

I dig it. I think we've needed something like this for a while, and it does open up the door to having aim assist HUDs and other fancy stuff.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: October 31, 2017, 09:08:53 pm »

Honestly is should be a HUD for everyone, offloading the calling out targets job instead of just being another way for a Brighteyes operator to get his information---right now he's STILL going to be a bit busy calling out targets, while a package to get everyone information equally would start increasing effectiveness, a LOT. Oh, and it'd cost less than integrating the Brighteye.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: October 31, 2017, 11:31:07 pm »

Feel free to make the design. I honestly didn't think of it, but it occurs that there might be bandwidth and transmission issues with sending the information to soldiers who don't have the scanning gear? But still, if you can come up with a good implementation it sounds like a decent option!
Read the First Post!

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: November 05, 2017, 08:46:36 pm »

Note to self.
Update this.
E v e n t u a l l y

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: November 11, 2017, 02:51:19 pm »

Visual Interface for Sensory Overlay and Regulation:
Effectiveness: Who knows?
Cost: 25R *With discount*
Complications: Might be a number?

Only time will tell if this was a trick or a treat. Probably a lot of time, judging by how slow this update was. Keep in mind that the Boss Fight is still available and will probably expire eventually.

Phase 2 Round 9
Production Phase
120R
Current Designs:
Current Equipment:
Current Enemies:
Current Technology:

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 42