Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 42

Author Topic: Project PROMETHEUS: Supernatural Arms Race Phase 1/11  (Read 42976 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Project PROMETHEUS: Supernatural Arms Race Phase 1/6
« Reply #330 on: August 02, 2017, 04:58:52 pm »

Ehh, a single grenade is not going to trap a drake, but it can probably inhibit motion a little if it gets onto joints and ought to play merry havoc with sensory apparatus. Still not voting for it yet, but I do feel that there is a utility to S.L.U.D.G. in smaller doses than have been seen to date.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Hibou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: August 02, 2017, 05:04:15 pm »

Quote from: Votes
Phalanx Vest: ()
Safety Margin: (3) Madman, RAM, Hibou
S.L.U.D.G. Grenade: (1) FallacyofUrist

The problem with the SLUDG grenade is, while good on paper, SLUDG is stored as liquid and I imagine, like most liquids, doesn't compress very much at all. If you have a fistful of SLUDG liquid then you'd get about a fistful of hardened SLUDG. We could try and formulate a new mixture of SLUDG that reacts differently with the air and expands exponentially upon exposure, allowing a fistful to become something quite large while still retaining its effectiveness. However, at the moment that's not within our reach and I think a grenade launcher will do us better at the moment.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 02, 2017, 05:13:29 pm »

Phalanx Vest: (1) Kashyyk

I'd prefer next gen armour research first, but I'm going to keep advocating for ways to save our soldiers lives regardless of the form they take.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 02, 2017, 05:54:10 pm »

I figured that when it went from liquid to solid it would expand, like a foam, possibly actually as a foam. On the other hand, I am probably wrong, because that would be all kinds of lethal as an airway obstruction...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 03, 2017, 06:09:45 am »

Phalanx Vest: (2) Kashyyk, 0cra_tr0per

I'd prefer next gen armour research first, but I'm going to keep advocating for ways to save our soldiers lives regardless of the form they take.

Seconded.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 06:22:07 am by 0cra_tr0per »
it's over

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 04, 2017, 01:26:02 am »

Easy come, easy go, that's just how you live....

Effectiveness: 10!
Cost: 5! 100R
Complications: 10! Heavy, Collateral Damage, Volatile

Development of the Safety Margin was a mixed bag. There is no doubt to its effectiveness, targets where shred apart accurately and efficiently with all current ammunition. To what is perhaps an absurd degree-tests had been performed to insure that the prototype wasn't death incarnate (while they were performed as a joke, the researcher who suggested the tests was laughing nervously until they were complete). All current rounds, frag, HE, HEAT, and incendiary work as planned and are all masterpieces in their own right. But all that effectiveness came at a cost. Both the weapon and its ammunition are incredibly heavy-especially given that soldiers are expected to carry extra ammo on their person. While this extra weight means that its felt kick is significantly lower than it would otherwise be-in addition to allowing for the grenade's incredibly potency- it means that the soldier will have trouble managing to hold any moderately heavy gear while equipped with it. Second, the sheer power of the rounds means that there is often not much left of what it hits. While this tends to be a positive, it means that most creatures killed by this weapon will not have corpses or any other recoverable materiel unless they are absurdly tough. Finally, while there is no safety issues in firing the grenades, they do not take getting hit very well. They are certainly more robust than the Oversights-but if they are hit by a more lethal blow (such as a gunshot) they are liable to detonate-setting off a chain reaction that could take out its operator and anyone standing remotely near it (along with their equipment, thanks to the second Complication). The enemy is liable to try to make good use of this issue if the catch wind of it-and the ammunition takes up a large amount of space as it stand, making it fairly likely that a lethal blow would lead to this devastating effect.

((Weird rolls, took me a while to think of what to do with it :P))

Phase 2 Round 6
Production Phase
0R
Current Designs:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Current Equipment:
Current Enemies:
Current Technology:
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Project PROMETHEUS: Supernatural Arms Race Phase 2/6
« Reply #336 on: August 04, 2017, 02:49:49 am »

Wow, I know what we're buying!

I would say that those are good rolls. We will need to fix the faults to get it working, but having all the bad roll in one place like that is nice.
Read the First Post!

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 04, 2017, 09:56:09 am »

Also it's pretty dang expensive, from the looks of things.
Cost: 5! 100R

Phase 2 Round 6
Production Phase
0R
If I'm reading this right, we have no resources to spend on it.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 04, 2017, 10:34:54 am »

Since when is "Collateral Damage" a PROBLEM with a grenade launcher?!?!!??

Even the bugs roll benefits us! xD

So, I think the path forwards is clear: Don't get wrecked. After that, however, we should develop powered armor of some form and give this grenade launcher to a power-armor soldier. Speaking of which, our power armor needs to include bulletproof grenade boxes integrated to the legs or something.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 04, 2017, 10:51:29 am »

Since when is "Collateral Damage" a PROBLEM with a grenade launcher?!?!!??
It means loot doesn't survive, so we can only shoot things we don't want to recover anything from. Also means our grenadier is going to have to stand about 20m away from the rest of the squad, in case his ammo gets hit and he turns into a giant fireball.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 04, 2017, 10:58:06 am »

It's only a fireball if he packs too much incendiary.

Again: If you're shooting it with a grenade launcher, you don't care about what's getting hit. This is a prerequisite for firing a grenade launcher. A redesign/revision to fix the volatility, as well as making frag and HEAT leave recognizable corpses (One with a punch of puncture wounds, and the other with a burn-hole through the center, but still technically intact. But if you expect HE to leave a recognizable corpse, well, I can't help you and your misconceptions). Also, adding in some non-lethal option. Maybe like a super bean-bag round?

Having now seen the extent of the value we possess....I don't think we're getting a grenade launcher this turn.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Hibou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 04, 2017, 11:05:02 am »

We do still have that drake in storage. The exotic pets market pays pretty well for that kind of thing, right?

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 04, 2017, 12:22:48 pm »

We get 10R if we sell the Drake. The Safety Margin is more expensive than I expected, though the extra grenade types certainly explain it.

Will we be pursuing our own economic means after this turn or do you want to try to research other things?
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: August 04, 2017, 12:25:20 pm »

At this point, barring a revelation of epic proportions we'll have to pour some research into the production of magical objects for sale. Hopefully that can all take place in the "theory" department instead of taking up designs.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: August 04, 2017, 10:23:12 pm »

Are you confirmed for purchasing nothing then?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 42