Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 42

Author Topic: Project PROMETHEUS: Supernatural Arms Race Phase 1/11  (Read 42970 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Project PROMETHEUS: Supernatural Arms Race Phase 4/5
« Reply #300 on: July 30, 2017, 03:43:51 pm »

HEAT, HE, and fragmentation grenades on a dedicated grenade launcher will work fine, I think. We need the cash to make it happen, though.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 30, 2017, 04:15:26 pm »

My suggestion would actually be next gen armour. The rest of our gear does it's job well, but we are now consistently taking  casualties which is harming performance and income. If we can produce some form of hardened full body armour, such as the X COM carapace armour, our soldiers would be able to survive these situations unscathed.

Just imagine what could have happened if our troops got ambushed by those zombies. We won't always be so lucky,  and we need to give our soldiers room for error

50R for armor research (though you could design armor without it, assuming you don't use any advanced materials or techniques.)

Loot Manager 2023: Basically previously price checked 100R
Armour Mechanics I: 50R
The one thing that concerned me the most that mission was the remarkable durability of the drakes. If our intel is to be believed, we'll be seeing more of them and in tougher varieties. We got pretty lucky this round with the H.O.S.E., but we'll need either need to cook up a more powerful adhesive, or look into explosive/armor penetrating weapons for our soldiers that don't rely on arm power. So here's what I propose-

Project B.O.O.M.
(Ballistic, Orbital, and Other Missiles)

A new research team is assembled with one purpose and one purpose only: build things that explode. Their objective will be to establish facilities and blueprint designs for the creation of fuel, controlled explosive devices, nozzles, tanks, fins, and all manner of other parts and pieces that go into making a flying bomb. This is all done with the end goal being creating viable and reliable rocket and grenade launchers for use in the field.

100R
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: July 31, 2017, 03:01:20 am »

Quote from: Votes
[1] Next Gen Armour (50R) : Kashyyk
(1) Loot Manager 2023 (100R): Madman

I still feel better armour is what is needed here. Higher survivability allows our forces to suffer freak occurrences and enemy ambush that their weapons just won't help with.

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 31, 2017, 06:06:40 am »

I'm voting on either A: Better armor or B: Drake autopsy.
it's over

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 31, 2017, 08:12:33 am »

Okay, so, Magic. Like, Magic magic. We want armor, we want money, we want progress. To the lessons of XCOM old, let's research Magic, learn how to make Magic Stuff, and then sell it for a Profit. That'll let us make Magic Armor (MagiTech Cybernetics?) and get a stronger income sorted. To that end, we'll want the Blue Book researched so we can produce Heat Sinks that everyone in the Tech Industry will want. After that we'll want the Black Book researched so we can start making MagiMECs like Madman has been saying and then wreck all the things with 20mm Miniguns. We also want to research that Sword soon, because it is vastly more effective than expected.

(1) Blue Book: SMMI
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 31, 2017, 08:40:40 am »

Also, an interesting note: We've got an enemy coordinated to be working in what appears to be asset denial---given the sword's effects, it's quite possible that it's anti-evil/anti-magic specifically, and thus they did not want the thing falling into our hands.

That said, we can get the money we *need* to continue operating by doing the Loot Manager thing, and THEN we can work on researching magic (Maybe. Powered armor is pretty much exactly what we need, if we can get it functioning properly. If it, you know, occasionally kills soldiers we can't use it, or their corpses are liable to get possessed and then we'll have an armored nightmare to contend with).

I'm not even thinking "Minigun and autocannon" power armor, I'm thinking of essentially a soldier capable of using a .50 assault rifle and able to punch targets through walls. While also being entirely fire- and heat-proof with good protection against basically every other means of harming someone. Not to mention if we make a special version that integrates cybernetic limbs our disabled soldiers can get back in the fight, and they'll likely have even better control over their power armor than regular soldiers.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 31, 2017, 08:49:03 am »

Basically, I'm thinking what you're thinking but involving Magic into the process as well, in regards to the Armor ideas.

The Loot Manager can be done right before we start production while the sooner we start Magic research, the more benefits we'll get.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 31, 2017, 08:56:52 am »

The sooner we start the MONEY-ACQUIRING PROCESS the sooner we can stop getting wrecked.

It's not about selling magic, it's solely about getting us the funding we need. We're getting (I hope) a heavy weapon to destroy those armored enemies, and we simply don't have the funding for it right now. If we make it possible to sell some of our zombie corpses, for example, we might find ourselves capable of acquiring a large amount of money fast enough to make a difference.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 31, 2017, 09:46:48 am »

I think we're just disagreeing on how to get money sooner. I want to set up Magic Products ala selling Laser Rifles in OldCOM and then sort out the Grey Market, you want to sort out the Grey Market first and sell other resources, which is reasonable.

Edit: Because we needed more Arms Race Discords
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 09:51:42 am by somemildmanneredidiot »

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 31, 2017, 12:53:45 pm »

(1) Black book of necromancy: Crazyabe
I'm still going to vote for the book which may contain a "Dispel undead" Spell.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 31, 2017, 02:59:10 pm »

To clarify, it is perfectly possible to attempt to build a "dispel undead" spell with your current tech level. Researching the black book would plausibly make it effectively up a tech level. The real question would be what it works on (zombies, summoned undead, skeletons, vampires, all/none/some of the above?) and if it worked better/faster that just pulling the trigger a couple of times.

As for the money, I had assumed you would be dissecting/investigating enemy materiel more than you have been. You guys ate up a lot of your Resources with advanced research.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: July 31, 2017, 04:06:21 pm »

(2) Loot Manager 2023 (100R): Madman, RAM
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Hibou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 31, 2017, 06:34:33 pm »

[2] Next Gen Armour (50R) : Kashyyk, Hibou
(2) Loot Manager 2023 (100R): Madman, RAM

Right now I believe that we're hurting more in the "not dying" department than the money department. Though, I'm still gonna push for that rocket launcher in future rounds...

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 31, 2017, 06:39:43 pm »

We literally can't buy that once we actually research it, though.

Hibou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: July 31, 2017, 06:51:28 pm »

We literally can't buy that once we actually research it, though.

...Fair point.

(3) Loot Manager 2023 (100R): Madman, RAM, Hibou
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 42