Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Assigning bedrooms to locations.  (Read 2339 times)

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
Assigning bedrooms to locations.
« on: May 20, 2017, 12:00:23 am »

I can see the benefit of assigning bedrooms to the inn/tavern, but I only just noticed that we can do the same for libraries and temples.

Is there any advantage to doing this?
Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

knedl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Assigning bedrooms to locations.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 01:12:11 am »

I got some scholars visiting my fort when I assigned beds to library. So I guess it helps to attract the visitors and at least for me scholars are important so they ponder and discuss topics with my scholars and research new !!SCIENCE!! :)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 02:13:52 am »

I don't think it does anything. They act like regular bedrooms that anyone will claim. Hasn't increased the number of scholars for me.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 08:00:54 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 02:48:37 am »

Scholars who become residents take up rooms belonging to the tavern. As far as I understand, assigning rooms to libraries and temples have no useful effect, and it's possible only because Toady added the ability to add rooms to the new zones (and such rooms may become useful in the future).
Bumber's observation is interesting, as I would have thought rooms assigned to temples and libraries would not be available for citizens (as far as I've seen citizens haven't taken any tavern assigned bedrooms either, and residents becoming citizens have moved out of their tavern room into a fortress room).

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 03:12:12 am »

Ah.  So it's really only another 'placeholder function.' 

That's good to know as I generally build bedrooms attached to the library that I manually assign to my scribes/scholars.  I only just built the latest lot when I noticed this and am relieved I didn't try it and see.

I'd as like as not forget to come back and check that my scribes/scholars actually do have a bed available, what with the overload of micromanagement in my current fort.   :-[

Thanks!
Dances with Kobolds

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 08:59:07 pm »

From what I have found, assigning beds within (or near) a library is only beneficial for reducing travel time, same as other industries.  So if you have scholars available, and want to ensure they are in the vicinity of your library as much as possible, you should manually assign their bed, and possibly add a small dining hall as well.  Whether or not they will actually get any work done is another matter entirely.

On a related matter; You don't have to assign every Dwarf.  Simply designating a bed as 'bedroom' will suffice.  Second, if you're having trouble with micromanagement, read up on Work Orders and Macros.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 02:41:11 am »

On a related matter; You don't have to assign every Dwarf.  Simply designating a bed as 'bedroom' will suffice.  Second, if you're having trouble with micromanagement, read up on Work Orders and Macros.

True, but knowing how my dorfs choose rooms, the rooms nearest the downstairs forge will be full of dorfs who were assigned surface activities, the rooms closest to the library will get randomly chosen by dorfs who work in the furthest forge, and the bedrooms near the forge will be chosen by those dorfs who work in the surface kitchens. I tend to assign bedrooms depending on jobs and interests. But I am a bit too much of a micromanager.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 04:05:26 am »

I think it's worth micromanaging the scholars and chronic temple-goers to get bedrooms near the library/temple because, just think how nice it will feel when the assign-to-location option starts working!

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 04:12:25 am »

AFAIK, leaving a bedroom unassigned simply means that the first dwarf w/out a bed who is looking for somewhere to nap will claim the room if it's the nearest to 'em.

If they've hauled a heavy load to a bin that's miles away from their assigned workplace, well...

Second, if you're having trouble with micromanagement, read up on Work Orders and Macros.

Hehehe.  I'm hip deep in micromanagement because I'm putting the job manager through it's paces to see what it can and can't do.  I've been surprised at some of the can'ts.

eg. checking stock levels of cloth boots.  Not 'any' boots or metal boots.  Just plain old cloth boots, dyed or otherwise.  There is no simple generic 'cloth' material/trait available for such items, only the specific type of cloth.

Dances with Kobolds

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 03:55:06 pm »

eg. checking stock levels of cloth boots.  Not 'any' boots or metal boots.  Just plain old cloth boots, dyed or otherwise.  There is no simple generic 'cloth' material/trait available for such items, only the specific type of cloth.
Note that you cannot go to a clothier's workshop and choose to make "cloth shoe" either. There, you also need to choose the material before you choose the item type.

I haven't experimented with it properly yet, but having seen that migrant dwarfs arrive wearing more "cover" clothing types in colder climates and recalling mentions about frostbite in colder climates, I suspect that in colder climates they might prefer wool over silk for warmth and the purpose of the experiment I have been considering is to answer the question, are military uniforms with wool trousers better in cold environments that silk trousers? Because exertion is a large factor in combat and being too cold or too hot is a source of exertion.

My plan for the experiment is to let the auto industry run many years and then to see which material they produced more of (because of dwarf preferences in what they choose to wear triggering the autoproduction, etc)
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.