Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Duke mercenary  (Read 891 times)

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
Duke mercenary
« on: May 18, 2017, 09:42:28 pm »

So one if my mercenaries inherited the title of Duke, from another dwarven civ...

He doesn't show up on the noble screen.  but if i look at him under units he wants an office, etc...

can I ignore his room requests?  Will he have production mandates, if not met will he order some random dwarf from my civ or his own to be beaten?
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Duke mercenary
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 02:12:02 am »

You can definitely ignore his room requirements if you want to, as the only thing happening when you don't fulfill a noble's room demands is that they become grumpy.

The reason you can't find him on the noble screen is probably because he's only a resident, not a citizen.

I believe I've seen posts that citizens who become nobility in other fortresses become uppity and spew mandates. If so, it's up in the air whether this merc will too. If he'll invoke the injustice system the victim will probably be a citizen (I've never heard of a visitor being subject to any kind of justice, not even deserved one). However, you shouldn't have an active injustice system...

It's probably not intended that nobles from other sites should demand rooms and boss people around in the fortress. I don't see any reason why this would be fixed until Law and Property at the earliest, though.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 06:19:11 am »

It's probably not intended that nobles from other sites should demand rooms and boss people around in the fortress. I don't see any reason why this would be fixed until Law and Property at the earliest, though.

But Toady apparently did once, so may well do it again.
42.03 patch notes:

Stopped nobles from other civilizations from making mandates and demands

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 06:59:46 am »

Missed/forgot that correction. Thanks Shonai_Dweller.
My only (poor) defense is that I don't get nobles from other sites, since there are no other dwarven sites in my worlds...

So Toady fixed the worst effect, but the room demands appear to remain. Since there are no penalties associated with failures to meed room demands (apart from grumpiness), you can handle it as you like. Note that if you do deal with it, the room has to be associated with a tavern, as mercs never claim fortress rooms.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 03:27:20 pm »

If he starts talking like, "I am duke. I have rights and importance. You dwarfs are obliged to honor my people's customs and my importance.", then let him know how he can gain prestige and honor within the dwarven community, with an old ritual involving the blood of Armok.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 06:42:00 pm »

Change his name to DUKE H. MERCENARY and make his life an action movie.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0