Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which part of the faction did you join?

Generals.
- 7 (36.8%)
Engineers.
- 7 (36.8%)
Nobility. (ie. Neither, just observing.)
- 5 (26.3%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Engineers and Generals (The Georgian Empire)(Turn 1: 1860)  (Read 7754 times)

Strider03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Engineers and Generals (Interest Check)
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2017, 07:33:57 am »

PTW
Within that world, she was God. But here, outside of it, her name was Yoake o-Shiri. That was unimportant. She was a Godslayer. That too was unimportant. But what was important, was that she had a motherfucking boat.
And by God, was she going to use it.

"But deceleration is for pansies. We're headed for the stars. Bye, Burnsie. Bye, Mission Control. Bye, Sol. See you at heat death" -Blindsight

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2017, 07:38:43 am »

Hey, in the original weapons design game, they managed to get a steamtank. Hopefully they don't invent the diesel engine.

Avanti!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2017, 10:38:03 am »

YOU IDIOTS! THERE'S ALWAYS TANKS!

Just ask Da Vinci.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2017, 11:15:25 am »

At the least there are wagons with guns mounted on them, or armored trains, or whatnot.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2017, 11:27:24 am »

Hey, in the original weapons design game, they managed to get a steamtank. Hopefully they don't invent the diesel engine.

That is not the original game. You got to dig deeper, there are much older variants.

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2017, 12:19:58 pm »

Ah, excuse me. I suppose I just got my memory wrong.

Avanti!

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2017, 04:34:02 pm »

I need to rig up a reasonable starting equipment and starting doctrines list before we can get this started.  Anyone know where I can find some relevant information on the topic, preferably on the Austro-Hungarians, Ottomans, and Russians, as they are the major players where you are and would therefore have the largest effect upon your nation?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2017, 04:36:57 pm »

Honestly, Wikipedia might be a good place to start. Other than that, just Google. Works every time.

However, being a bit of a military history guy, if you have any specific questions just ask here or PM me or something. I'll do my best to answer any questions.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 04:38:39 pm by Madman198237 »
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2017, 05:08:02 pm »

Honestly, Wikipedia might be a good place to start. Other than that, just Google. Works every time.

However, being a bit of a military history guy, if you have any specific questions just ask here or PM me or something. I'll do my best to answer any questions.

If you have something on the doctrines used in the Crimean War, I'd like to hear them.  That particular conflict is sure to have had an effect on the doctrine of the nation due to the conflict being so close.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2017, 05:49:25 pm »

Blast in, the Crimean War sounds very familiar, but I can't call anything particular to mind. When was the Crimean War, though? I thought it was some years after the American Civil War (After our start date, in other words). That or it was in the 1840s....Gah, silly imprecise memory.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2017, 06:07:34 pm »

Blast in, the Crimean War sounds very familiar, but I can't call anything particular to mind. When was the Crimean War, though? I thought it was some years after the American Civil War (After our start date, in other words). That or it was in the 1840s....Gah, silly imprecise memory.

1853 to '56, actually.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2017, 06:13:14 pm »

PTW.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2017, 08:37:08 pm »

I'm no expert, but the Crimean War was basically the start of the second generation of modern warfare. Rifled muskets and faster-firing, longer-range cannons made cavalry obsolete (Charge of the Light Brigade, anyone?). Trench warfare was invented and developed, and warfare shifted from the cult of the offensive to more defensive warfare. Basically, you've got huge armies of footslogging infantry and artillery duking it out on the field of battle, suffering insane casualties, while cavalry is relegated to scouting and supply raids.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2017, 08:38:58 pm »

In other words, the Crimean War was the first (Oft ignored) wake-up call that the Age of Quiet Warfare was at an end. The American Civil War really woke everyone up (By the end of the ACW it looked like WWI battlefields---crisscrossed lines of trenches and bunkers while anyone who dared stick his head up would be shot at. A lot.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2017, 04:21:23 pm »

I'm no expert, but the Crimean War was basically the start of the second generation of modern warfare. Rifled muskets and faster-firing, longer-range cannons made cavalry obsolete (Charge of the Light Brigade, anyone?). Trench warfare was invented and developed, and warfare shifted from the cult of the offensive to more defensive warfare. Basically, you've got huge armies of footslogging infantry and artillery duking it out on the field of battle, suffering insane casualties, while cavalry is relegated to scouting and supply raids.

Probably going to largely keep you in the first generation, but the nearby Crimean War means you will have an easier time advancing to the second generation.

Anyway, I'm almost done with the listings.  As a slight note for the future, logistics machines (ex. Trains, Construction Equipment, etc) and Structures (ex. Forts, Bunkers, Command Buildings, etc.) will be able to be ordered up to be designed, and both will have an effect upon military effectiveness.  Should provide a few more interesting angles to work with.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7