Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: An elven thief among kobolds  (Read 1307 times)

DauntlessGolem

• Bay Watcher
  • New player, lets go.
    • View Profile
An elven thief among kobolds
« on: May 15, 2017, 01:30:07 am »

So a few kobolds were spotted outside and ran away, nothing out of the ordinary, but when I checked my entrance, an elf thief was caught in a cage trap. I was wondering if you guys would know why this happened, cause I have no idea why an elf would be with kobolds. Or do thieves of all races come to steal crap from your dwarves and I was unaware? I'm on good terms with the elves so they wouldn't ambush me, but I checked legends mode and the kobold civ is just made up of kobolds. I know they cannot babysnatch, so I wanted to hear your guy's thoughts.

Side Problem: I have an elf in a cage. what do i do with it.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
Re: An elven thief among kobolds
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 01:44:47 am »

Is there a goblin civ somewhere around your fortress? Goblin snatchers are also called "thieves", and the children they capture are integrated into their civilization, hence making candidates to become snatchers themselves.

My idea : it's a gob civ elf, he went undetected around your fortress to capture your dwarven babies, tangled his feet on a trap and now he looks stupid.

What to do : Archery target pit :D Alternative is magma or atom smashing. I mean even if he's not a goblin civ elf, do you really want to let an opportunity for !!fun!! pass next to you? I sure wouldn't :D

DauntlessGolem

• Bay Watcher
  • New player, lets go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 01:51:52 am »

Is there a goblin civ somewhere around your fortress? Goblin snatchers are also called "thieves", and the children they capture are integrated into their civilization, hence making candidates to become snatchers themselves.

My idea : it's a gob civ elf, he went undetected around your fortress to capture your dwarven babies, tangled his feet on a trap and now he looks stupid.

What to do : Archery target pit :D Alternative is magma or atom smashing. I mean even if he's not a goblin civ elf, do you really want to let an opportunity for !!fun!! pass next to you? I sure wouldn't :D

Wouldn't I have got the "Snatcher! Protect the children!" message instead? This elf definitely came with kobold thieves to steal some valuables. I think I'll use him for live training, see how strong my military really is.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 01:58:20 am »

You only get the "Snatcher!" message when the said snatcher is spotted by your citizens. Maybe he was caught before it could happen ? Else I have no idea. The only way an elf can join kobold thieves is by joining their civilization but it seems unlikely...Tho not impossible. I have seen in the Legends animal men do the same. Maybe check his equipment? This way you can be sure where he's coming from : copper dagger + no bag = he's probably siding with kobolds.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 02:29:40 am »

I'd try to resolve this by using Legends Mode info:
If using DFHack:
- quicksave
- open-legends
- export-legends info
- die (as resuming after open-legends can/does lead to save corruption and an inevitable crash at a future time).
- use Legends Viewer to load the exported info.
- Search for a historical figure with the same name as the elven thief, and check the details. That should tell you which civ and group it belongs to.
If using vanilla:
- save
- copy the save
- start the copy and retire the fortress
- open the fortress in Legends Mode
- Same as the DFHack route, but use the native Legends Mode interface to look up the same info.

And, please post the results.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 03:12:29 am »

Legends Viewer works with vanilla legends exports too. No need for dfhack (except for all the extra information it gives you).

Kobolds have been seen recently taking over villages in worldgen for some reason, so I guess its possible they could have taken over an elf retreat (or more likely a camp with a single inhabitant).

Otherwise, yeah, I'd say it's a snatcher caught coincidentally. It's not unusual for two groups to appear at once.

YetAnotherLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 04:24:52 am »

I think there's another couple of possibilities, and the link to kobold thieves may be purely coincidental:
-The elf is, in fact, some flavor of werebeast, that managed to get caught after transforming back. Observe carefully for a month?
-The elf was a visitor to your tavern/temple/library that managed to get caught somehow. I've had visitors pass out from drink, exhaustion, evil weather, and forgotten beast syndrome poisoning on top of cage traps before.

DauntlessGolem

• Bay Watcher
  • New player, lets go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 06:30:44 pm »

Okay, I have all the legends info, but how do I search for this elf in particular? The only units I can find  in this is historical figures and really important people. I'm very new to legends mode so help is appreciated, as I can't find am answer. I'm using Lazy newb pack, so I have all the utilities from that.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 09:36:52 pm »

Okay, I have all the legends info, but how do I search for this elf in particular? The only units I can find  in this is historical figures and really important people. I'm very new to legends mode so help is appreciated, as I can't find am answer. I'm using Lazy newb pack, so I have all the utilities from that.
If he's in your fortress, he's a historical person.
I think.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 01:31:40 am »

'v'iew the elf. That should reveal its name. If it's caged you need to look inside the cage. If I remember correctly, the 'v'iew command provides both the native and English version of the name. The units list should also provide the name, but only the native version. Unfortunately, Legends Viewer uses the English name.
If you've gotten hold of the English name of the thief you can just type the name into the search field. If you've got only the native one you can try typing the first name (which isn't subject to translation) and then look at the ones who are elves, but a large world can have many individuals with the same first name.
I assume it's possible to translate the last name yourself using the language raws, but that's probably a chore.

I think the act of visiting your fortress transforms non historical civilized persons into historical ones (cavern trolls, animal people, and animals aren't civilized, so they have to kill something (or adopt/become adopted) to become historical).

DauntlessGolem

• Bay Watcher
  • New player, lets go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 03:31:26 pm »

Legends mode ain't working, I can't even find my own dwarves in it, so Im doing the only thing I can do, dump all his equipment and write it down here so I don't forget. Here goes!

His equipment:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So based on the fact that he has a lot of troll fur stuff and a bag, I assume he is a baby snatcher that is terrible at his job. Also he really likes to bring extra changes of clothes with him, who needs two cloaks?

A little bit anticlimactic, but I guess that is what coincidence does. Sorry it wasn't some cool renegade kobold elf.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 03:33:06 pm by DauntlessGolem »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 03:11:09 am »

Thanks for the info. As you said, it was a little disappointing, but it's good to get the feedback.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 03:40:49 am »

It's okay, one should always expect the worst coming from elves

DauntlessGolem

• Bay Watcher
  • New player, lets go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2017, 02:27:32 pm »

One last edit, I just caught three human snatchers in my cages, and when they were caged, i got the "Snatcher!" message for each on of them, which means the elven snatcher was caught at the same time as the kobolds being spotted, so i never got the "Snatcher!" message for him.