Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: The Surge- MASSIVE ENERGY AXE Souls alike.  (Read 15419 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: The Surge- MASSIVE ENERGY AXE Souls alike.
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2017, 11:54:32 pm »

I hate multiposting.

A Walk in The Park just dropped today, it features a massive amount of new content including:

1 ) New weapons for all categories
2 ) Three new full sets of armor, one for each category, Eagle is now my favorite operator armor by a huge margin
3 ) Some new mechanics
4 ) New drone modules
5 ) (released as a free DLC for all players) New implants, really, really badass new implants.
6 ) Two new bosses (one is a mid-boss, gets his own boss-lifebar but is still just a human)

The DLC area is pretty cool, and the way it integrates with the existing areas is pretty seamless (accessed by train the first time, and by door the second)  Just watch out for the long drops, there are a hell of a lot of them.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2017, 05:46:26 am »

I really like the Surge  :) (to the extend that I will recommend it as a fair alternative to the Dark Souls), got a walk in the park, and started an entirely new game to enjoy the 'back to basics'.

But please spoil one info for me, - where is the train to the park? I would hate to not find it (like for the expansion in Dark Souls 1  :P)

(And about Sisters 1/3, - in my first (and only) playthough I just brute forced it with a temporary build with lots and lots of quick injectable healing (and high stability), so I could take alot of hits and just heal while clawing through the stages.)
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2017, 02:10:50 pm »

The Train in Production B is at the station just down the stairs from where you first meet Irina. where the two CREO guards used to be (they have been relocated to the door to R&D.)

I'm about to face off against Rogue Process for the last time in NG+++, so I've gotten to the point that Sister 1/3 is just an infuriating wall that slows me down a lot, I'm not getting any better at that fight.  I have some nerve damage to my hands, so I occasionally fail to actually press the key I'm trying to, it's not going to get any better for me.  That said, I have now successfully pulled of a one & done against Sister 1/3 twice, so luck definitely plays a large role in how I fight that damned thing.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2018, 09:43:43 am »

Another stupid doublepost.

The Surge is getting a sequel in 2019, Deck 13 and Focus are teaming up again to bring us more limb severing, this time in a wrecked city.

I'm hoping we get to play as Warren again, I'd like to see where his story goes, even if we end up with someone else it looks like we'll be dealing with Rogue Process (or something remarkably similar) again.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2018, 02:21:35 pm »

More multiposting stupidity, man, this really didn't catch on here did it?

Another free DLC today, with three new sets of armor and weapons to play with, I'll report back with my impressions once I get ahold of them.

Okay, in the Executive forum there are two new guys (one outside of Jonah's office, the other inside the little echelon 9 station that leads to the re-education center) with the light set of gear, "Asclepius", it is medic-themed.  Provides some hefty bonuses to you medi-voltaic users, they'll heal more when used and when at full energy you heal with every attack, probably nice for tanking.  The weapon that goes with it is a twin-rigged set of injectors or something, pretty decent damage, good attack speed, high scaling.  I can see someone who likes to be really aggressive liking this set.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 04:44:32 pm by NullForceOmega »

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2018, 02:30:27 am »

Thank you for the update.

Now I just have to reset my muscle memory back from Monster Hunter.
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2018, 07:55:04 am »

I was going to post the rest too, but I tripped on the stairs and banged my right arm pretty solidly.  I can still use my hand but it's very stiff, so The Surge and the rest of my twitch-based games are out for the time being.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2018, 03:50:26 am »

I really am very sorry to keep multiposting like this.

This is a PSA for The Surge players, the Black Cerberus set seems to be bugged, I tested pretty extensively and it appears that damage calculations are not being applied properly to weapons while wearing this armor.  I have made a bug report on Focus' The Surge forums as well as the Steam technical help board.  Hopefully the devs will have a look at this and see if something needs/can be done to rectify the problem.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2018, 11:03:32 am »

I really am very sorry to keep multiposting like this.
Don't be. It's only true multiposting if you do it all in sequence on the same day.

And besides, as someone who recently bought the game, I appreciate the PSA.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2018, 07:32:10 pm »

With some more testing I think that BC's set bonus probably deals its bonus damage as elemental, and that is probably the cause of the weirdness.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2018, 03:26:38 pm »

so, i recently had a chance to play this and i got  to say. im so tempted to buy it, just to give it a bad review.

then that sound design. i did not play it sooo long, but i swear if i ever hear that retarded 1 minute song again  that is playing NON STOP in that med bay i will start to cut myself.

such level design. not only the game is full of falling traps in dark areas where you can fall into your death if you are careless. nope, you also fall into your death if you hit an enemy that is close to a death trap, because the player avatar is completely lobotomized and incapable of swinging without jumping into holes.

and consequences? yeye. its realy cool if your decissions have consequences. i like it too. its nice the studios understand that now. or do they?
everything respawns, death is ireelevant for everything. exept if you accidently hit a friendly npc. not only will he stay dead, the game will also immidiatley overwrite your save to make sure it sticks.
to get good waeapons, you have to kill the bosses *just right* with the one try you have and the game wont even tell you what to do.
yeah, thats consequent all right. its just not my deicissions that have consequences. so thats about as usefull as crap on a stick.

well. enough rant. it is not a terrible game i give it that. but also a game that seems to want to  ride that "hard is cool" wave way to much. its not even  realy difficult. its just frustrating by desing.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2018, 03:39:04 pm »

so, i recently had a chance to play this and i got  to say. im so tempted to buy it, just to give it a bad review.

then that sound design. i did not play it sooo long, but i swear if i ever hear that retarded 1 minute song again  that is playing NON STOP in that med bay i will start to cut myself.

such level design. not only the game is full of falling traps in dark areas where you can fall into your death if you are careless. nope, you also fall into your death if you hit an enemy that is close to a death trap, because the player avatar is completely lobotomized and incapable of swinging without jumping into holes.

and consequences? yeye. its realy cool if your decissions have consequences. i like it too. its nice the studios understand that now. or do they?
everything respawns, death is ireelevant for everything. exept if you accidently hit a friendly npc. not only will he stay dead, the game will also immidiatley overwrite your save to make sure it sticks.
to get good waeapons, you have to kill the bosses *just right* with the one try you have and the game wont even tell you what to do.
yeah, thats consequent all right. its just not my deicissions that have consequences. so thats about as usefull as crap on a stick.

well. enough rant. it is not a terrible game i give it that. but also a game that seems to want to  ride that "hard is cool" wave way to much. its not even  realy difficult. its just frustrating by desing.
So it's a Soulslike and you don't like it because it does Soulslike things like respawning enemies, npc friendly fire, killing bosses in tricky ways for weapons and asshole pit traps? Because those are all stuff pioneered by Demon Souls and then expanded on by Dark Souls. I'm not saying you have to like them, but you are kind of missing the point of the whole genre here.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2018, 05:08:55 pm »

Yeah, they're sort of the things that make the genre, so whilst they can be annoying it's what the game is going for.

I have to say though, I've always thought the 'accidentally anger/kill an NPC' thing is annoying. By DS3 you had to properly start wailing on them before they would react, but in ds1 they'd just instantly attack you forever if you fumbled the controller which I hated.

I also do hate pit traps, in The Surge it seems he does sort of jump attack a bit too much, which gets frustrating. It was a bit of a problem in Lords of the Fallen too - I felt a lot of the attacks were a bit too 'prescriptive' and you'd end up way overextending/getting caught in an animation when you didn't really want to.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2018, 04:41:10 pm »

I WAS BORRNNN INNN A PRRIISSSOONNN...

Got back into this (only played a tiny bit before) - I'm enjoying it, although I have to say that the 'dark souls' level design really, really doesn't work when everything is just a grey industrial corridor. Dark Souls was tricky to know where to go, but you at least knew you were heading somewhere new/different and you could mostly see where you needed to go in the distance - I'm constantly walking around in circles and not knowing where to go. Have I seen this metal pipe before? What about this tangle of wires?

Anyway, for those that don't know (I missed it for a while) you can turn off the ops music from the menu, or have it only play when you go into ops but not when you respawn. I'm impressed they did that - they obviously took player's feelings on board, and I actually quite like it when I'm entering ops (but disliked it strongly when I've just died).

Second piece of advice is to go to Creo world asap. It's not too difficult, and you can instantly get way better gear than you would at that point in the main game it seems. Getting the fire drone makes quick work of those annoying three wheeled robots for instance. I moved back to the main game when I got to the mid-boss (who was pretty much impossible for me) and I'm having a much better time in the main game with lots of fancy implants/weapons.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2018, 11:04:46 am »

NFO returns with another PSA, The Surge will be getting one more expansion-type DLC before The Surge 2 comes out next year.  They held a closed beta for it a while ago and while no date has been announced yet, they say it should be out sometime before 2019.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7