Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 31

Author Topic: Planetary Arms Race - Amaok, Strategy Phase 2212  (Read 34705 times)

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Arms Race - Amaok, Revision Phase 2210
« Reply #285 on: May 26, 2017, 05:44:44 am »

... Ok, ok. Damage control.
Next turn we are going to have to burn the design on MHS (metallic hydrogen superconductors) so that we can revise the MRA. Until then, we do damage control.

When we introduced rifles and they had none, we changed the nature of the game. We need to do that again. We ought to revise an ultra light vehicle from a civilian model that can be used for scouting or fast attack. Basically just mount an automatic ABR on the top of a pick up. It's easy, but it changes the nature of combat, and helps stem the bleeding. Plus it forces them to burn a turn to answer it.

Idea for later. This gave us some experience with EMPs, so we could design an EMP songbird variant that could more reliably disable ships if we are having problems with enemy armor.

Jesus, 0,1,-1 on those rolls. Jesus man....

Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Arms Race - Amaok, Design Phase 2210
« Reply #286 on: May 26, 2017, 06:32:17 am »

"Ask for everything at once," they said. "What could go wrong," they said.
...I told you so.
Going forward with high-energy tech before we have high energy science = problems. High energy problems, at that.
Though I did vote for the armor, so I guess we're all fools sometimes.

OH GOD DAMN IT YOU BEAUTIFUL BASTERDS!!

I ONLY POSTED THE MRA DESIGN TO SHOW YOU WHAT WE COULD DO AFTER WE RESEARCHED THE SUPERCONDUCTORS!! YOU WEREN'T SUPPOSED TO VOTE FOR IT RIGHT OUT!!

Oh god... Why? Why are we like this?

... Oh, sorry.

Though this isn't the time to assign blame. Going to revision, I think we've wasted too much time on research. Frankly, the reason we lost on turn 1 was likely because they had better pistols and we had a mile long self destructing fusion plant.

Miniaturize the Songbird Banshee. If we can get it small enough, we could use it as ground-to-ground anti-infantry, like the RPGs of Old Earth. This is a useful, but unambitious step.
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 26, 2017, 07:14:43 am »

Oh, sorry. I wasn't trying to blame anyone, I was just venting my frustration. And the problem is we haven't invested in research enough. Other than the fusion reactor on turn 1, we haven't done any research or infrastructure. Admittedly, a long string of bad rolls is also partly to blame...

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 26, 2017, 08:15:59 am »

Hmm perhaps we could revise our rifles to be automatic? So even if they can fire bolters, we can outmatch them with sheer volume of lead.

Hey it's alright. We are still learning what is and isn't reaching, we arent that behind our opponents. Their bolter probably just got amazing rolls which counteracted their lack of experience of designing any rifles or handheld technology.
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 26, 2017, 09:18:31 am »

Oh, sorry. I wasn't trying to blame anyone, I was just venting my frustration. And the problem is we haven't invested in research enough. Other than the fusion reactor on turn 1, we haven't done any research or infrastructure. Admittedly, a long string of bad rolls is also partly to blame...
Oh, I wasn't accusing you of assigning blame, just noting that I might be assigning blame.
Whether we should invest in research more or less... Up for debate! On that note, I have another revision proposal:

Modify the Venture class to use pulsed plasma thrusters, which are much more fuel efficient and should get us more space for cargo. Their lower thrust means we don't get exceptional speed, but we can place them all along the hull to reduce stresses and allow a larger cargo bay.

Pulsed plasma is more basic than fusion and was already used in Old Earth probes, so it's not risky.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 26, 2017, 04:06:56 pm »

Or we could modify our missiles to be dropped from space. Possibly in some sort of reentry crate? There is an absence of orbital bombardment at present.

Oh, note for future. We have two planets with resources and two fighters were destroyed by ddrove off an enemy battleship. I would not advise splitting our fighters unless we want to cover all fronts with them and accept a loss somewhere. Also we might want to try making a run at A1, mostly as a delaying tactic to secure A2...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 26, 2017, 04:33:43 pm »

Unpopular opinion. We ought to bug out at b2 for the moment. Let them keep their men there, and we can redeploy and out number them elsewhere. Turn after next, we can launch back at b2.

Also, I have a question. What do the metals and exotic resources do? Will they make our designs cheaper? How does that work?

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 26, 2017, 04:44:55 pm »

Unpopular opinion. We ought to bug out at b2 for the moment. Let them keep their men there, and we can redeploy and out number them elsewhere. Turn after next, we can launch back at b2.

Also, I have a question. What do the metals and exotic resources do? Will they make our designs cheaper? How does that work?
B2... that's the habitable where they are outnumbering us and using bolters, and we're just clinging by skin of our teeth right? Abandoning that might be a good idea, except that gives them a clear path to Amaok itself. Can't think of any way we can hold the line though...

Resources allow us to expand the expense level of a design, as declared in the rules.
Resources - Resources may be allocated to a Design to increase the Expense level of that design by 1. Designs will only accept certain resources, and a resource unit can only be allocated to one side at a time. If you have 2x Metal, then you can only assign it to two metal-using designs. The bonus will only last as long as the allocation. A design can't have more than one of the same type allocated at the same time.
Metals represents varieties of metals and is useful for general large structures as well as most of the more ordinary designs. Exotics is used for things like for thrust, power generation, and other more, well, exotic procedures.

Sooo... we can deploy more of two non-exotic designs. Cue debate!

Also, another thing. Since we have shown remarkable ineptitude at making nuclear power work for us, can we make it work against them?

Are there any fissionable materials in this planet's crust? Rod of purified uranium or plutonium, explosives rigged to blow at correct time - and we have a tactical nuke! On the surface, it would be devastating, and used in space, the radiation would punch through whatever armor Moerth has on their battleships. Also, detonating nuclear weapons near a planetary magnetosphere has been known to create vast electromagnetic pulses and disturbances in the ionosphere, likely doing even more damage to Moerth equipment.

Just saying - nukes are always an option...

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 26, 2017, 05:24:08 pm »

B3 is too strategically important and valuable as a resource. We just need colony transports to get some more population, and, in theory, more units. Floating or domed colonies would be more difficult...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 26, 2017, 08:17:45 pm »

Revise our fighters so they have rocket packs for taking off from planetside, so we don't need to have a carrier in position to deploy our fighters and mess with enemies trying to land or orbit.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 26, 2017, 08:26:15 pm »

Revise our rockets/missiles to have more powerful shaped charges.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 26, 2017, 11:28:35 pm »

Metallic hydrogen is not a revision. Metallic hydrogen is a critical piece of background research that certain people (like me) chose to skip.
Code: [Select]
0 Meh: | http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164126.msg7465947#msg7465947
0 Scanning Radar: | http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164126.msg7465947#msg7465947
0 Venture Enlargement: | http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164126.msg7465947#msg7465947
1 Pulsed Plasma Venture!: | http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164126.msg7466108#msg7466108
0 Ground-Launched Fighters: | http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/i Missile Shaped Charges: | http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164126.msg7466651#msg7466651
Voting for my own idea. Remember, the plasdrive's higher efficiency will allow a Venture enlargement.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: May 27, 2017, 12:29:44 am »

The fighters only have enough fuel for a few minutes flight, that's why we have the carrier type thing.  Launching them from, the surface for 3 minutes of combat seems like it would not be effective.

If we want to harass their ships everywhere, what about making the carrier cheaper.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 31