Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 31

Author Topic: Planetary Arms Race - Amaok, Strategy Phase 2212  (Read 34747 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Arms Race - Amaok, Design Phase 2208
« Reply #135 on: May 17, 2017, 09:47:47 pm »

We can work on logistics later and/or in the revision this turn since we'll be able to get more transports and rifles thanks to Moerth's strategic blunder.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 17, 2017, 10:08:51 pm »

My vote's placed now.

2 - A-ASF-8 Light Combat Vessel: Taricus, FallacyofUrist
1 - Big Interstellar Group Assembly Space Ship MK1: chubby2man
1/0 - Fusion-pumped Laser Satellite: RAM?
0/1 - Size 2 Orbital Defense Craft: RAM?
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 17, 2017, 10:15:45 pm »

I don't like trying to add atmospheric flight, it seems like it is too much extra.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 17, 2017, 10:19:06 pm »

3 - A-ASF-8 Light Combat Vessel: Taricus, FallacyofUrist, Happerry
1/0 - Fusion-pumped Laser Satellite: RAM?
0/1 - Size 2 Orbital Defense Craft: RAM?

Next step, point defense armed transports.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 17, 2017, 10:20:59 pm »

@VoidSlayer: To be fair, it's basically just the frame shape and control surfaces and such. If we succeed we've got both a combat capable spacecraft that's easily able to enter atmosphere and provide support there.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 17, 2017, 10:29:07 pm »

Crack-a-Doom defense turret.
A metre-tall electric rifle turret on a heavy base that tracks heat-spots within a given arc and automatically fires at the location that they are predicted to be based upon a manually-set range value. Comes with a cutoff button that forces them to select a new target.

This ought to get rid of their night-raids.

And can be revised into missile-defense on shuttles...

The downside is that it requires both turret and target-seeking(and heat-seeking) technologies, so could be a bit of a stretch.

The problem with atmosphere is a: surviving the relatively high pressure and B: keeping yourself in the air while friction slows you down. Atmospheric flight will tend to require more structure and fuel.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 17, 2017, 10:34:05 pm »

Well, the pressure is simple to resist. And as for fuel, that should be simple enough to account for.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 17, 2017, 10:39:50 pm »

It'd be nice to think so, but our shiuttes seem to be take-of and land style things. Not 'loiter in the sky' style things. Fuel capacty should not be the greatest concern, but they are still rockets. Loiter-time of rocket-planes has always been a problem, and our rockets may be better than any jistorical examples, but they will probably still struggle in that department. I would not imagine them lasting for a full hour unless they can glide...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 17, 2017, 10:43:45 pm »

True, but given they're just flying over and releasing a payload, loiter time isn't too much of an issue. We can revise a dual-purpose engine once we've got the fusion power project up and running to an acceptable degree.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 17, 2017, 10:58:55 pm »

It adds an extra layer of difficulty when we are already trying something difficult with making the missiles.  Plus a space craft that doesn't have to enter atmosphere ever can be designed a lot different, no heat shielding and such, if you want to try I don't really have a problem I suppose.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 17, 2017, 11:26:44 pm »

Guys... Guys this isn't star wars. Don't try to mix an atmospheric fighter with an orbital fighter.

If we want an atmospheric fighter we can do a cheap source plane that gets deployed and then picked up from low orbit.

If we want an orbital fighter (cause, ya know, that's where they are killing us from) we can design something for the task.

Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 17, 2017, 11:40:07 pm »

To be fair the GM did say this was going to be sorta soft sci-fi. And aerospace fighters are present in battletech, albeit with actual fusion engines.

EDIT: Did clarify the design to say that the space fighter is the first priority.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 18, 2017, 01:18:26 am »

Next step, point defense armed transports.
I am going for my turret, it is very ambitious, but I hope it could turn into defensive turrets with a revision. For the initial design, all it really needs to do is start shooting when the enemy sneaks up at night. Sounding of a warning is the main point, if it tags some flthy slime-burgers then so much the better! Also, automation is valuable technology. If we can design computers that can aim for us, then that is most of the battle won...

3 - A-ASF-8 Light Combat Vessel: Taricus, FallacyofUrist, Happerry
0 - Fusion-pumped Laser Satellite:
0 - Size 2 Orbital Defense Craft:
1 Crack-a-Doom defense turret: RAM

Oh, and I would really like to know what happened on planet A2. Did our troops just lounge around and get drunk? Did the booze spread over any territory? Do we own the planet now?

I am tempted to sacrifice our forces on C2, if we can win C3 while they hold the line then it will probably be best in the long-term, and we won't get our merciless suicide berzerkers until after a few bloodied noses. ALTHOUGH,,,

Pegasus-class supply rocket
A 1 Tu rocket that can deploy half a Tu of cargo to an adjacent planet. This can travel iinto enemy territory and has a bonus against defensive fire due to its lack of 'continued use' compromises. Although the cargo tends to land a bit hard and can take a while for the forces to recover it...

That would be a way to get rifles to our C2 forces and help them hold the line for a while, maybe.
Read the First Post!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 18, 2017, 01:27:29 am »

Is a bit of a waste of a design action however. Sacrificing the troops on C3, if we can't pull them out, is a reasonable option as they lose twice as much as we do. And as they're likely overcommitted to C2 if our troops on A2 aren't worrying about much more than supplies. Which means we can push to C1 and really put some fear into the Moerthi!

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 18, 2017, 01:41:46 am »

Rocket Boat: Based on the transport design, this space craft has 3 innovations that allows it to destroy enemy craft.  The most advanced is a small space rocket with a radio transmitter that can accept encrypted commands from it's ship to change course and hit it's target.  The second is an infrared, radio and visual telescope used to detect enemy craft and calculate their trajectories, in order to guide the rockets to make minute adjustments.  The last is an inbuilt radio system to communicate with nearby ships and missiles.  Communications use an encrypted system and are one way to the rockets, the codes are loaded by wire before the rockets are launched.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 31