Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 31

Author Topic: Planetary Arms Race - Amaok, Strategy Phase 2212  (Read 34695 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Arms Race - Amaok, Revision Phase 2207
« Reply #90 on: May 16, 2017, 10:43:23 am »

And another Revision:

Ammo Production: Solve the ammo problems for the ABR by expanding and optimising the production lines for the ammunition for it.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 16, 2017, 10:54:01 am »

By the way, we need to make more arguments for the colonists. As of right now, we're about even.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 10:56:00 am by FallacyofUrist »
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 16, 2017, 12:39:59 pm »

Revision:
ABR-H

The hybrid ABR rifle is the first of it's kind. It utilizes the high quality of a full metal firearm, with the weight and expensive of a mass produced printable design.

The inner workings of the rifle are high quality metal parts, fit inside a lightweight printable frame. All structural parts of the rifle are honeycombed print filled with a durable shock absorbent foam. This allows the weapon to handle the intensity and power created while firing without damaging itself. The ammunition is hybrid itself, though still of the same design. The brass casing is discarded in favor of a printed polymer casing, but the round itself is still metal.

This results in a lighter, cheaper weapon, with no loss in quality. Ammunition is also cheaper.

(Most shotguns already use a plastic casing, and polymer casing for other rounds is also around already, so this shouldn't be anything new or difficult.)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 06:04:13 pm by helmacon »
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 16, 2017, 12:43:18 pm »

Personally I'm inclined to do the Radio.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 16, 2017, 12:48:37 pm »

Personally I'm inclined to do the Radio.

oh, right. I forgot about the radio.
I'll put my design on hold, if we ever need to up our armaments again. We should be good for the time being.

Any applied fusion at this point is a pipe dream.

1 - Working Fusion: VoidSlayer
3 - Handheld Radio: FallacyofUrist, Helmacon, Happerry
0 - Fusion Bomb:
1 - Ammo Production: Taricus

Edit: I'm not entirely clear on how the production lines work, but couldn't we use some of our empty production lines to make more rifles/ammunition? 
Also, do we get to name the planets once we own them? (please?)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 12:50:47 pm by helmacon »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 16, 2017, 02:25:41 pm »

Naming planets is fine once you have full control of them.
A design can only have one production line. I thought about multiple lines per design being impossible, but it messes with the balance from expense too much. Expense is a total indicator of how much you can field given maintenance, resource costs, infradtructure and more.

And your Units already communicate by basic handheld radios. Improvements to local communication can definitely be made but there's nothing critically wrong with it at the moment.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 16, 2017, 02:49:58 pm »

Let's make that ship based radio then. Small enough to fit on the ship, but powerful enough to stay in contact with the main colony and serve as a nerve center for outposts and field operations.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 16, 2017, 03:41:59 pm »

This statement is false.
We trick the A.I., which realises that it needs to be tricked in order to continue to be seen as an A.I., into believing that we made a new variant of the shuttle. This allows us to add a secont production line of shuttles.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 16, 2017, 04:42:37 pm »

If we already have radios, then I'm switching over to Ammo Production to maximize our rifle advantage.

2 - Handheld Radio: FallacyofUrist, Helmacon,
0 - Fusion Bomb:
2 - Ammo Production: Taricus, Happerry
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 16, 2017, 05:14:12 pm »

Maybe we could instead enhance our printers to print more compressed material, allowing us to simplify our ammunition and reduce its volume...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 16, 2017, 06:03:00 pm »

...or we use the ABR-H!  :D

1 - Handheld Radio: FallacyofUrist
0 - Fusion Bomb:
2 - Ammo Production: Taricus, Happerry
1 - ABR-H: Helmacon
[/quote]

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 16, 2017, 06:11:42 pm »

Nah, printing isn't good for large-scale manufacturing. Not with the quality needed.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 16, 2017, 06:24:19 pm »

And your Units already communicate by basic handheld radios. Improvements to local communication can definitely be made but there's nothing critically wrong with it at the moment.
Are the radios not long-ranged enough that they can replace couriers yet?

In any case, switching vote to Ammo Production.

0 - Improved Handheld Radio:
0 - Fusion Bomb:
3 - Ammo Production: Taricus, Happerry, FallacyofUrist
1 - ABR-H: Helmacon
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 16, 2017, 06:35:14 pm »

To actually reasonably communicate between planets, you need more dedicated + larger + etc. radio equipment, which is the Radio design both sides have.
Revision: ABR-1 Ammo Production

We've spent some time and resources going over our production lines creating the ammunition for ABR-1 battle rifles. Before, we had designated civilian factory space for use in creating the ammunition for the ABR-1. We never had any facilities for creating actual ammunition; the printed pistol's ammo simply shared the same facilities as the pistols themselves.
New dedicated factory space is created just for the manufacturing of the bullets. Dedicated supply lines are drawn to and from these factories, and logistics structures are created for shipping this ammo to wherever it's needed. We still have minor issues with ammunition, so we've given orders to have the ammo saved during more close-ranged encounters. The rest of the time, our soldiers should have plenty of ammo for engagements using the ABR-1 rifle.

It is now the Strategy Phase of 2207. Propaganda should be submitted in the Core thread before the Combat Phase in order for it to be counted.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 06:39:54 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 16, 2017, 06:38:16 pm »

Nah, printing isn't good for large-scale manufacturing. Not with the quality needed.
Our manufacturing isn't good enough for large scale manufacturing. That's why we have so few rifles/ammo in the first place.

We already have printed pistols though, so assumedly we can mass produce printed things at an acceptable quality. This is a sci fi. 3d printing is the future!

Also, as our manufacturing is limited, I would like to preserve it for more important things than small arms. (Like, bigger, more important arms)

edit: ninjed by the op. Damn.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 07:48:06 pm by helmacon »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 31