Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 34

Author Topic: Planetary Arms Race - Moerth, Strategy Phase 2212  (Read 38058 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Arms Race - Moerth, Revision Phase 2211
« Reply #390 on: June 04, 2017, 11:10:00 am »

We already have an Iliad in the orbit of A2, though.
Long Live United Forenia!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: June 04, 2017, 12:32:56 pm »

I really think your plan is far too risky. It relies on:
1) Two Iliads can blockade A2, somehow both detecting (with visual-range radar) and chasing down (while slower than an ITC) everything approaching.
2) They don't care about space or have bad luck, and haven't made a new ship, more explosive/longer ranged missiles, any stealth tech, or anything that can really threaten a pair of Iliads. Remember that if they made a new ship, they will have at least two, because of metal. If they designed better ship building last turn, they may even have three. Plus whatever fighters they have.

If either point is against us, we cannot unload new artillery at A1. A2 goes to their control, and we'll have to pull back. We'll probably have partially equipped units on A1, and Amaok will be fully supplied. There's a chance they will end the turn with 2 zones.

Upgrading our ability to fight in space is vastly safer.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: June 04, 2017, 12:48:43 pm »

1)Them's the game mechanics. We control the orbit, and they will need to defeat our ships to change that.
2)They may well have developed new space tech. But given that we managed to destroy 2/3rds of their fighters, and their carrier, with an Iliad + IMW, I think you may be underestimating the power of the Iliad. With two of them on the scene, Amaok would have to do pretty well to defeat both, whilst still having enough forces to get through to A1.

Meanwhile, the missile plan involves us sending two units to A1 only to be defeated, weakening our other fronts and achieving nothing. If you want to develop missiles, then forget about sending troops to A1 this turn.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: June 04, 2017, 12:59:24 pm »

Question: Do we know anything about what firing ranges A1's terrain would favor?

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: June 04, 2017, 06:07:22 pm »

Mk 4 Firedance Missile (1): Nirur Torir
Ouroboros Artillery: (2) NUKE9.13 , 10ebbor10
Mark 4 Aetos Missile: (1) Madman198237

I'm voting for the longer-ranged missile because outranging them makes, 95% of the time, maneuverability less important.

If the missile is long-ranged enough, no matter what they do, they won't be able to take out our warships, since they won't be able to reach them.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: June 04, 2017, 06:17:31 pm »

Mark 4 Aetos Missile: (2) Madman198237, Nirur Torir

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: June 04, 2017, 08:48:12 pm »

Reposting for great justice now that the revision phase has actually started.

Infernium-6 (Upgraded Chemical Thrusters)
Infernium-6, also known more simply as I6, is a new superfuel developed in the Moerthian experimental rocketry labs. In appearance it is a fine, glittering powder of dull red color, and is safe to handle assuming you are not carrying a static charge. The red, crystalline appearance of Infernium-6 is due to the presence of red oxygen, a form of O8 achieved at high pressures. A few proprietary Moerthian innovations in a crystalline chemical structure allow the Red Oxygen to be bonded into a macrostructure capable of containing it at room temperature, as long as the matrix isn't subject to any particularly energetic reactions.

Infernium-6, being primarily solid oxygen, is the most efficient oxidizing element we have, surpassing pure liquid oxygen due to its compressed crystalline structure. By introducing it into our existing fuel blends we're able to dramatically improve thrust and burn lifetime while preserving original weights and operational profiles.

This upgrade does basically what the Aetos does, increasing missile thrust and longevity, but it can be applied to every existing chemical thruster we have. That's shuttles, warships, bolters, hypothetical MIRV artillery, everything. The Aetos is fine, but it's not the most bang we can get for out buck.

Mark 4 Aetos Missile: (2) Madman198237, Nirur Torir
Infernium-6: (1) Draignean

« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 10:56:51 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: June 04, 2017, 08:52:15 pm »

Question: Do we know anything about what firing ranges A1's terrain would favor?

Primarily long and short range fighting. The terrain provides lots of points for soldiers to sit at with great views of the battlefield and is thus great for long-range weaponry. But plenty of combat is also done in more compacted areas where terrain formations force both sides to engage at close-range.
It's not exactly this simple and not necessarily equal advantages for short and long ranges, but that's roughly it.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: June 04, 2017, 09:19:40 pm »

I'd consider voting for Infernium, but I must point out that, as our orbital station has no science setups, it's likely not very useful to any !!SCIENCE!!.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: June 04, 2017, 10:57:13 pm »

I'd consider voting for Infernium, but I must point out that, as our orbital station has no science setups, it's likely not very useful to any !!SCIENCE!!.

Alright, fair enough. I've edited the description. More to your flavor?
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: June 05, 2017, 07:55:16 am »

Mark 4 Aetos Missile: (1) Nirur Torir
Infernium-6: (2) Draignean, Madman198237

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: June 05, 2017, 02:48:36 pm »

Chiefwaffles: You didn't answer Nuke's question. Is our understanding of the mechanics correct? So long as we don't move our Iliad from A2, we have it locked down and they can't get anything to A1 without destroying our combat ships over A2?

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: June 06, 2017, 01:46:31 pm »

Also, Nuke, Ebbor, I'd like to convince you to support Infernium.

I want the Ouroboros, but I'd like it as a design, and potentially worked in with something else. Instead of an artillery piece our people have to lug around pretty much by hand, we can incorporate the Ouroboros cannon into the gunnery capabilities of a gunship, the primary weapon of a mech,  or as one part of a terrestrial vehicle's weapon system.

We can take the sky from them. We can make them quake and shiver every time they're soldiers venture out into the black- knowing that we can hit them any time and any place. If we can hold space, we can choke the life out of any of their worlds.
---

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: June 06, 2017, 01:50:50 pm »

I'm fine with supporting it, provided we won't leave A1 alone in the strategic phase.

Ouroboros Artillery: (1) NUKE9.13 ,
Mark 4 Aetos Missile: (1) Nirur Torir
Infernium-6: (3) Draignean, Madman198237,10ebbor10

Besides, we need to break the tie.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: June 06, 2017, 01:58:11 pm »

If we designed artillery, I would obviously want it to be better than the Ouroboros. It is what it is in order to be a valid revision.

Anyway, I still think our ground game needs more support. I think the Infernium is a good idea, but I'm just not convinced that being out-of-supply will be enough to turn the fight on A1 in our favour.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 34