Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 34

Author Topic: Planetary Arms Race - Moerth, Strategy Phase 2212  (Read 38141 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Arms Race - Moerth, Strategy Phase 2209
« Reply #225 on: May 23, 2017, 04:20:58 pm »

Sure, we can do organic printing, but why would we want too?

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 23, 2017, 04:36:30 pm »

Sure, we can do organic printing, but why would we want too?
Soldier's limb blown off? Not a problem, just print a new one.
Why wait for an injury? Upgrade our soldiers piece by piece, until they are they are stronger, faster, more reactive than the Amaokians.
Create living power armour.
Heck, create living vehicles. Transport our soldiers around in half-organic flying creature-machines, which require no pilot, and are capable of faster, more nimble manoeuvres.
Replace crude, mechanical systems with elegant, living ones.

Life has had billions of years to perfect itself. How could human engineering, a mere ten thousand years old, hope to compete?

((I don't actually believe that, but it'd be an interesting path to go down. Far more so than 'nukes lol'))
Long Live United Forenia!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 23, 2017, 04:44:13 pm »

Why develop printing when you can develop stuff to kill your opponents?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 04:47:32 pm by Devastator »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 23, 2017, 05:12:10 pm »

Why wait for an injury? Upgrade our soldiers piece by piece, until they are they are stronger, faster, more reactive than the Amaokians.

Acknowledged, but these are very minor advantages. We won't be able to deploy our high tech stuff on the front for a while. I mean, we can't even deploy radio.

Heck, create living vehicles. Transport our soldiers around in half-organic flying creature-machines, which require no pilot, and are capable of faster, more nimble manoeuvres.

Why do any of this? Why make vehicles that can starve or bleed to death, why make power armor that needs to be fed.Why waste effort to do stuff biologically when the mechanical thing simply works.

The question remains : What makes life actually better?

We already have the ability to integrate circuitry into metal, why develop something redundant?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 05:28:01 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 23, 2017, 05:22:47 pm »

I had the thought of making living armor for ships, to ease expenses with less time spent docked, but we can do much the same with a bit of tonnage used on 3D printers and carrying metals around in a cheap supply transport.

Why develop printing when you can develop stuff to kill your opponents?
We have rapid-fire rocket-launchers as our main rifle-class weapon because we spent time on printers. With one more revise action we may be able to use them as indirect-fire artillery as well, again because we spent time on printers.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 23, 2017, 05:27:31 pm »

We have rapid-fire rocket-launchers as our main rifle-class weapon because we spent time on printers. With one more revise action we may be able to use them as indirect-fire artillery as well, again because we spent time on printers.

I don't see the connection.  So you got the rocket launchers because you designed printers?  Not because you designed rocket launchers?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 23, 2017, 05:29:47 pm »

Our advanced printers come into play in making the gun and its ammo. We eventually decided to forego complete 3D printing manufacturing, but precise 3D printing of many of the required parts for both the Bolters and ammo significantly helped the expense rates.

We got it with many other designs as well.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 23, 2017, 05:32:32 pm »

I still don't get the connection with 3-D printing and cheap manufacture.  Cheap prototyping, sure.  Design bonuses based on it being easier to try different variations, sure.  But bonuses to cheap manufacture?  It's slow, expensive, finicky, and based on batch work instead of flow work.

Oh well, it's just a game.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 05:39:44 pm by Devastator »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 23, 2017, 05:38:32 pm »

Acknowledged, but these are very minor advantages. We won't be able to deploy our high tech stuff on the front for a while. I mean, we can't even deploy radio.

Why do any of this? Why make vehicles that can starve or bleed to death, why make power armor that needs to be fed.Why waste effort to do stuff biologically when the mechanical thing simply works.

The question remains : What makes life actually better?

We already have the ability to integrate circuitry into metal, why develop something redundant?

Applications of bio-printing is the perfect synthesis of the two. Power armor already needs to be fed, in power, oil, and god knows what else. Be nice if we could reduce a lot of the power and oil needs down protein blocks.

Biology is REALLY good at self replication and healing. Mechanical objects are REALLY good at lasting forever. We developed integrated circuitry on an unprecedented level, I'd like to apply the some concept to biology to create a merger. Literal biotech.

Imagine, if you would, a fighter that isn't piloted via a stick, pedals, and computer readouts, but is integrated into every last nerve of the pilot. We're not talking about a bio-fighter with slow and flapping wings like some ponderous pterodactyl, we're talking about something that can still support and integrate engines and modern weapons systems- ones that have the same connected weave of circuitry that allows them to be live as connected parts of the pilot.

I'm not saying LETS SUDDENLY SWITCH TO FLESHTECH. I'm saying, why can't we incorporate the strengths of biology into our printing, some as we did integrated circuits?

I suppose a better name than bio-printing would be: Living Materials. Not just flesh, not just machine, and certainly not some Frankenstein cybernetic graft, but a synthesis of the two.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 23, 2017, 07:00:19 pm »

YUUZHAN VONG!!!!

I really don't want to go all organic. Organics have advantages, but so does technology. Especially when, with technology, you don't have to try and get an organism adapted to the cold and vacuum of space, which also has an incredibly tough carapace useful for defense, and also has the ability to attack, etc etc.

Technology is going to be far easier than organics. That said, nobody said we can't spend a design sometime later to create a printing system that can work with organics (Preferably on a microscopic level. That said, first we should get a regular printer capable of printing at the atomic or molecular level and then create some super materials out of it) and from there create cyborg parts or whatever.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 23, 2017, 07:06:39 pm »

I'm going to need a revised Plan B, because it assumes Unit 3 is on A2 and not B2. I could just swap A2 and B2 for a couple things, but I'd rather not make any kind of assumptions.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 23, 2017, 07:24:56 pm »

Spoiler:  Plan B, Revised (click to show/hide)

I don't think that changes anything important, so I'll just move the forth bolter from A2 to B2.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 23, 2017, 07:30:25 pm »

What's stopping you from moving that bolter to C2 and equipping Unit 5 with them as well?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 23, 2017, 07:38:54 pm »

Changes the plan too much, and I don't want to focus too much there if they're just pulling back.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 23, 2017, 07:43:59 pm »

The one unit can't use a second supply of Bolters. If anything, leave the Bolters behind then. Or ship them to the empty-handed unit in case of Amaokian shenanigans.

It just makes more sense.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 34