Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 34

Author Topic: Planetary Arms Race - Moerth, Strategy Phase 2212  (Read 38116 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Arms Race - Moerth, Revision Phase 2209
« Reply #180 on: May 21, 2017, 01:33:12 am »

Inefficient and buggy chemical thrusters make the Venture-Class slower than the already-slow ITC.

Hmmm

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 21, 2017, 01:54:45 am »

Inefficient and buggy chemical thrusters make the Venture-Class slower than the already-slow ITC.

Hmmm
Yeah, I saw that also. Guessing Amaok has designed a ship called the Venture. Or it's a joke.

Anyway, course-correcting ammo (and potentially more)!
Quote from: Revisions
Advanced Jormungandr Bolter: (2) Draignean, NUKE9.13
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 01:58:06 am by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 21, 2017, 03:05:05 am »

Advanced Jormungandr Bolter: (3) Draignean, NUKE9.13, Detoxicated

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 21, 2017, 12:57:02 pm »

Alright. I'm concerned by our limited ability to defend transports, but it might be fine. They'll probably be focusing on C2, since we're about to take that, so we can just send our ship there.

Ideas for ship names:
ITC 1: Moe SS Mist
ITC 2: Moe SS Steam
ITC 3: Moe SS Vapor
MWS 1: Moe SS Drafty
Illiad 1: Moe SS Illiad
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 01:58:23 pm by Nirur Torir »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 21, 2017, 01:07:51 pm »

First ship in a class has the same name as that class, so the first (and currently only) Iliad should be called the Iliad.
Long Live United Forenia!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 21, 2017, 01:20:32 pm »

I'm voting prefixes of MSS not Moe SS.

And I'd call the first ITC the "Plug Ugly" or "Slowboat" or possibly just "Drafty"
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 21, 2017, 01:26:40 pm »

ideas
Magnetic propulsion - Systems that use a planets Magnetic field to move -> ships, suits, vehicles

Tritanium - a strong 3d printable metal for all things.

Artillery - a big gun that shoots to faraway places

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 21, 2017, 01:43:01 pm »

I really doubt magnetic propulsion could work, and we are desperate need of better thrusters when compared to our increasing ill-effective chemical thrusters. Things like fusion or anti-matter engines are way beyond our scopes, we need something that we could develop within a turn.

Fission Engines: Our current generation of chemical thrusters have proven multiple times to be too weak and dormant for our current ships. The process of nuclear fission has a much greater degree of power output that will easily be able to move our new designs of ships through its increased ability to propel force and energy. Nuclear reactors are stored within the engines to provide a continual source of energy through fission radioactive decay and nuclear transmutations.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 21, 2017, 01:45:28 pm »

Fission reactor powering??? I'd say a plasma thruster system. Long-term thrust, higher thrust than ion engines, less weight in fuel (Probably) than chemical engines. That said, keep some chemical engines on the design for extreme emergency maneuvering.

Advanced Jormungandr Bolter: (4) Draignean, NUKE9.13, Detoxicated, Madman198237
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 21, 2017, 02:12:18 pm »

First off, fission engines is a simple way to upgrade our power, and a way more reliable route, than ions or plasma engines. I really doubt pursuing another research path in our next design phase is going to be the most optimum idea, and it also gives us a consistent path that doesn't require investment. Nuclear fission engines can be done in 1 design phase, plasma and ion engines would take several design phases, to even get a weak version of them.

Advanced Jormungandr Bolter: (5) Draignean, NUKE9.13, Detoxicated, Madman198237, Shadowclaw777

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 21, 2017, 02:22:10 pm »

Advanced Jormungandr Bolter: (5) Draignean, NUKE9.13, Detoxicated, Madman198237, Shadowclaw777, 10ebbor10

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 21, 2017, 02:23:41 pm »

Sorry, but, welcome to science.

You do not understand.

A fission reactor provides electricity. This is all well and good, but it doesn't move a ship through space. A fission engine cannot replace a chemical thruster (Like todays rockets, basically), because it doesn't do anything to provide thrust. A plasma engine uses the electrical energy generated by a fission reactor or other power source to speed up particles (Bits of superheated gaseous material (Plasma), in the case of a plasma engine). It is just one option for interstellar propulsion, which can also be applied to interplanetary travel. That said, only our ITCs or extremely large vessels could make use of them, since they're not as good for combat maneuvers. That said, it won't matter if they're not as good if we can make a better plasma engine regardless.

Anyway, at this stage of sci-fi, it will be pretty darn easy to make a plasma engine---it's already been deployed and sent to space IRL. Just not made quite useful enough for interplanetary travel...yet. That said, we should be able to make it. The science, after all, is fairly easy.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 21, 2017, 02:46:16 pm »

Pretty sure Shadowclaw777 is referring to Nuclear Thermal Engines, which provide thrust just fine.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 21, 2017, 02:55:30 pm »

Nuclear thermal? Meaning what? I'm pretty sure you're not referring to the Project ORION proposed nuclear-bomb propulsion method, and Shadow specifically mentioned nuclear reactors, which are USELESS to use right now. Whatever power source our ships use (DM Question: What exactly powers our ships with electricity?) is sufficient right now. A reactor is just another way to cause damage. If you burst the steam pipes (Would futuristic fission reactors rely on steam? I'm not sure, but I doubt it, not at any reasonable space-going size) or other heat-conductor, or, heaven forbid, crack the reactor casing, you will blow things up (Burst steam pipes) or melt things while simultaneously turning them radioactive "hot" (Reactor casing breach).

So, my point stands. A fission reactor provides no thrust. A plasma engine can use the enormous amount of energy you can get from fission to provide thrust. One is useless without the other. That said, a plasma engine (Low-yield one, anyway) can also use solar panels or whatever to provide energy for its thrust, but fission is much more energetic, allows for much more powerful plasma drives.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 21, 2017, 02:57:08 pm »

First off, fission engines is a simple way to upgrade our power, and a way more reliable route, than ions or plasma engines. I really doubt pursuing another research path in our next design phase is going to be the most optimum idea, and it also gives us a consistent path that doesn't require investment. Nuclear fission engines can be done in 1 design phase, plasma and ion engines would take several design phases, to even get a weak version of them.

Though he's a bit blunt about it, Madman is right. (EDIT: Actually, see the options below. I spoke too soon.) The only (EDIT: I'm a derp. Never say only. You'll always be wrong.) form of fission power that provides direct propulsion is the rather unique strategy of dopping bombs behind you and catching a lift on the radiation shockwave. Effective for rapid maneuvering, and if we can achieve low-mass fusion criticality (which requires a helluva energy source) it might be worth it for evasive action, but not really something we're currently capable of exploiting.

My personal feeling is that we should move toward something closer to the edge of current science, in order to exploit the fringe factor, such as the Cannae drive. If it works, it's a reactionless drive that only needs electricity and maintenance, and it gives us a nice fat research credit in the field of theoretical physics- in case we want to do some justification for a much more advanced research project down the line.

EDIT: Actually, I think Shadow is referring to this. Which is interesting, and I'm still reading up on.

EDIT2: Actually actually, THIS is what Shadow is referring to, and I'm also reading up on that.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 03:00:12 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 34