Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 34

Author Topic: Planetary Arms Race - Moerth, Strategy Phase 2212  (Read 38072 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Arms Race - Moerth, Revision Phase 2207
« Reply #75 on: May 16, 2017, 04:39:15 pm »

Won't work. We'd need radios on both the ground and the ship, or smart munitions, or better sensor tech.

It would be easier to modify the transport shuttles into strike craft, which could work with dumb bombs.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2017, 06:33:52 pm »

Revision: Warship Missiles Mk 1.1
2 ((Fun fact: You've never gotten anything other than a 2 in effectiveness or revision rolls))

The new Mk 1.1 warship missiles address and do manage to at least fix the problem they set out to solve. The 3D-printed sabot shells, through many tests, have been proven to effectively remove the risk of missile explosion in the tube. The shells are easy to make and can be fit onto every missile with only extremely minor changes in cost. The IMWs' crews will still have to load the Mk 1.1 missiles by hand, though. But this is the end of the good news.

The modified missiles, while no longer having a chance to fail inside the tube, can now fail outside the tube. Missile priming failure is a common occurrence now and a rather significant portion of a missile volley will be unarmedd missiles, reducing the combat effectiveness of the Interplanetary Makeshift Warships. We're assuming that flaws present in the sabot shells as well as the missile tubes and arming mechanisms simply cause the missiles to frequently not arm themselves. The sabot shell remains locked on the missile in flight, leaving it unarmed and thus useless.

With these missiles, the IMW will become useful. We can only hope that Amaok hasn't introduced any orbital combat vessels similar to the IMW, as its effectiveness in ship-to-ship combat is questionable at best. As before, the IMW still has roughly two volleys worth of missiles stored and each missile has to be manually loaded by a crew member. Each volley contains an annoying amount of duds, with the rest of the missiles having very limited guiding mechanisms. If Amaok successfully introduces an anti-ship weapon, the IMW won't have a chance against it with its limited armor.
As it stands, the IMW is most effective for limited interception of unarmed craft and nothing else. Bombardment isn't recommended as without a radio, the IMW can't coordinate with ground teams and thus would be firing blind. Hitting the enemy by blind-firing from orbit has astronomical odds that simply aren't worth the cost in ammunition.

It is now the Strategy Phase of 2207. Propaganda should be submitted in the Core thread before the Combat Phase in order for it to be counted.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2017, 07:04:51 pm »

((Fun fact: You've never gotten anything other than a 2 in effectiveness or revision rolls))
This isn't fun; this isn't fun at all.

ot much to do with the warships but send them to B2. That does free up our units, unless we really want to blitz through to their homeworld.
It seems a waste to claim the metal worlds and give up on the exotics without a fight. We could hit both A2 and C2 and hope to out-attrit them before they break our cut-off forces, or drop two units on one world and hope to quickly annihilate them.

I'm in favor of trying to overwhelm them with two units on one world - The probably actually invented something, and can beat our guys before we beat theirs.

It's very tempting to pull back from a far world to make an assault go even faster. If they invented a killy thing, they'll probably destroy at least one (Possibly two. That would be pretty unfortunate, since they only retrain at 1/turn) of our forward units this turn anyway, and the blockade has already paid off in my mind. We have the initiative now, and should use it.
Edit: We should not. The blockade probably weakens their forces, and would play a deciding factor if they brought new weapons with limited ammo.

C2 chosen because orbital superiority might just help on an ocean world.

Spoiler: Plan Overwhelm (click to show/hide)

Quote from: Strategy Phase Plan
Plan Overwhelm (1): Nirur Torir

Just to be sure: Removing the blockade from C3 would immediately remove their combat penalty on C2, right?

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Arms Race - Moerth, Strategy Phase 2207
« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2017, 07:31:19 pm »

Two notes for the strategy phase, first I'm pretty sure they probably develop some superior small arms upgrade for their infantry this turn, since we technically had the edge with the most 1.1 but the advantage was small it really was just pitiful. Any engagements with them will lead to suicide; so we should make sure every unit only has defensive engagements or no engagements at all for this turn.

Another, is that this taking the L from RNG which has created stagnant progress since our new missiles and war craft are really minute and insignificant upgrades with many weaknesses alongside then. This could really potentially lead to us becoming on the losing side of the war.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2017, 07:39:22 pm »

Regarding Moerth's poor rolls: Yeah.
If you continue to get screwed by the RNG I'll cut you a bit of slack (in addition to my personal rule that actions should always make some kind of positive progress), since I don't like games becoming too much luck-based. Of course, the same thing would happen to Amaok if they start getting similar rolls in a row. And on the bright side, these things do tend to even out after a bit.

Just to be sure: Removing the blockade from C3 would immediately remove their combat penalty on C2, right?
Yup. But any of your units on C2 won't be affected by the penalty, as they still have a direct line to Moerth.

And to mirror something I posted in Amaok's thread:
You can name planets if you fully capture them. I'm not sure about renaming already-named planets, but we'll see in that regard.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 16, 2017, 07:58:20 pm »

Two notes for the strategy phase, first I'm pretty sure they probably develop some superior small arms upgrade for their infantry this turn, since we technically had the edge with the most 1.1 but the advantage was small it really was just pitiful. Any engagements with them will lead to suicide; so we should make sure every unit only has defensive engagements or no engagements at all for this turn.
They can't reinforce/re-equip A2 or C2, so I'd like to take at least one of them before A3 and C3 fall.

Another, is that this taking the L from RNG which has created stagnant progress since our new missiles and war craft are really minute and insignificant upgrades with many weaknesses alongside then. This could really potentially lead to us becoming on the losing side of the war.
Sure, but we're doing great strategically right now, and have plenty of room to fall back on. If this combat goes poorly enough, we still have an entire line of planets we could fortify before they get to our homeworld.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2017, 12:30:12 am »

/flip table

Alright. Alright. At least they sort of work. They should manage to take down an unarmed ITC. Though as the GM helpfully points out, if they developed a warship of their own, we are capital-S Screwed.

So. We send our singular 'warship' to blockade B2 and prevent them from supplying it with reinforcements or new weaponry. That way, last turn's minor edge should be maintained. The other two planets are already blockaded.
Plan Overwhelm (2): Nirur Torir, NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 17, 2017, 09:36:53 am »

Plan Overwhelm (3): Nirur Torir, NUKE9.13, Draignean
[/quote]

So, people want to do something crazy next round for design,  just to fuck with RNGesus?
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 17, 2017, 01:34:35 pm »

So, people want to do something crazy next round for design,  just to fuck with RNGesus?
Hmm...

Genetisaur: Using advanced genetic engineering, which we totally have and is not just propaganda, we modify a native species of Moerth into a 4m tall ravenous beast. A chip implanted in its brain (which we also totally have the tech for) allows basic commands to be given by its 'handler'. Thanks to its superior biology, it can shrug off small arms fire, and can even survive losing several limbs, thanks to its redundant organs, rapidly congealing blood, and fast-growing scar tissue. Not even destroying the head will put it fully to bed, since a large part of its motor functions are governed by a sort of secondary brain in the torso, a large cluster of nerves (with mind-control chip) that will cause soldiers to run in terror as the headless beast bears down upon them.
Again, we totally have the technology to do this.

More sensibly,

Scaythia Rifle: Bearing only a passing resemblance to the Printed Pistol, this rifle, while containing several printed parts, also contains parts that have been created using more traditional methods, out of quality materials. Like the PP, it is a fairly simple device, of a tech level that would not look out of place in the earlier parts of the 20th century. Do not discount it for this reason, though- the Scaythia makes up for its simplicity by being especially reliable, easy to fix when it does break, and possessed of decent range and accuracy (or an amazing range and accuracy if compared to the PP). It uses a clipazine, and is 'automatic' in the sense that bullets are automatically chambered, allowing the user to focus on firing.
These weapons, whilst possibly more expensive than the PP, should still be simple enough to manufacture that they can be distributed to the majority of our forces.

I'm assuming we don't have the blueprints for actual modern rifles, or we would be building them already, so it makes sense to start simple.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 04:35:15 pm by NUKE9.13 »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 17, 2017, 02:04:21 pm »

A bit more ambitious than the little baby pistol, a bit less ambitious than the Genetisaur. We built a prototype space station in an alternate reality, we can do better than that primitive rifle.

Here's an insane design.

Bio-Etheric Energy
Bio-Etheric energy represents a fascinating new development in the emergent field of quantum energy sources and multi-universe theory. The idea is simple. Each object as it passes through time and space can be determined by a massive series of 'what-if' questions. For material objects, much of their path is governed by macroscopic newtonian physics, and is thus determinate, but there are still cleavage points where reality can play out in two different ways. For instance, whether a radiocarbon decays or not is a moment that is determined by a probability at any given moment, and thus creates an infinite splitting of universes where that particular molecule did and did not decay at a given moment.

Bio-Etherics exploits this using harmless and rapidly grown bacteria. By killing one of these bacteria, we initiate a chain probability collapse as all potential universe candidates that could have arisen from the bacteria's existence join the universal wave, which releases a small quantum ripple.  This quantum ripple, while easily absorbed by the universe, can manipulated by our technology and used as an energy source. For practical purposes, this allows us to build bio-etheric generators which are essentially tubes of specially grown bacteria being killed at a constant rate. These produce no radiation, can easily be reduced to an infantry scale, are shelf stable, and require only a sugar water substance to feed the bacteria.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 17, 2017, 02:19:51 pm »

A bit more ambitious than the little baby pistol, a bit less ambitious than the Genetisaur. We built a prototype space station in an alternate reality, we can do better than that primitive rifle.
Perhaps. But then again, the colonies have almost no weapon-building experience, whilst it makes sense that they would have experience with massive industrial projects, and building stuff in space (see: ITC, IMW)
I think we could go more advanced, perhaps design a decent AR- but given our luck, I'd like to have a +1 from being unambitious.
Bio-Etheric Energy
Hmm. Maybe when we have some experience in... quantum field manipulation? Then again, I'm not sure how we would get such experience... and you are just talking about a fancy battery, when you get right down to it. Assuming the GM is going for a sci-fi vibe, and not a (fully) realistic one, we could probably get away with designing... a fancy battery.
However, I think getting the basics out of the way first is a better idea. We need:
-A standard infantry weapon, that we can equip all our forces with and not be embarrassed about it.
-A working warship, not the hunk of junk we got from rolling a bunch of 1s and 2s.
-A working transport, that is at least capable of transporting our radios.
-Probably a better spacesuit, though this is less critical.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 17, 2017, 02:24:43 pm »

Generator, not battery. A batter holds power, and is then used. It does not replenish itself. Since you're growing bacteria and killing them at a constant rate (while siphoning the potential energy of the quantum collapse generated by infinitely many universes becoming invalid), you're generating power over time.

We have pistols and basic missile and tracking technology. The height of ambition for a crazy design that we might actually be able to make with some blessings would be a Bolter. Some form of infantry assault weapon firing micro-missiles.
---

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not killing this game too
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 17, 2017, 03:07:14 pm »

The Efficiency Algorithms are always double-checked by humans whenever there is a possibility of error, and most of our citizens(criminals are an exception) are permitted to ignore the recommendations they make.
I'm really scared of messing it up since I'm not that good at writing, but I'm pretty sure it would be possible to make a strong point about the fact that this contradicts the very interests anyone could see in an AI, which means that even their in-universe propaganda writers are either delusional or ignorant of the true nature of their colony's pride.

I was considering biological weapons, which might help clearing out some planets with little action from our units, since the world fluff says most non-brown planets are the only ones to not have an atmosphere. If they're resilient enough to be used in most atmospheres (a.k.a. if the dice love us for once), we've got a nice red button for desperate situations.
Quote from: xkcd
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 17, 2017, 05:07:41 pm »

For crazy ideas, we could design a living inner membrane for our suits, which will auto-plug holes. Gives us XP towards organic powered-armor analogs and living "ships." Living acid guns could also work, and might actually be a good idea if we're going that route - we'll need anti-armor weapons before long.

Personally, I'd like to see us pursue stealth and overhearing their comms. I'm holding off on proposing radio ships until we actually have a force to multiply.

However, I think getting the basics out of the way first is a better idea. We need:
-A standard infantry weapon, that we can equip all our forces with and not be embarrassed about it.
-A working warship, not the hunk of junk we got from rolling a bunch of 1s and 2s.
-A working transport, that is at least capable of transporting our radios.
-Probably a better spacesuit, though this is less critical.
-Heavy weapons, both anti-armor and anti-aircraft.
-Fortifications are almost a necessity.
-Some sort of mobility would be pretty nice.

Felissan, don't worry about it. I'm pretty sure we're only judged on cultural write-ups, not which team pokes the most holes in the others' arguments.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 17, 2017, 05:12:49 pm »

Alright, so would bio-printing be an option for a soon-to-be made design. It's not without real world precedent, we have printers to day that can make functional mouse ovaries, and it would set us firmly on the biotech route.

In fact, bio-printing would allow us to get around a few flaws the Akhsoyrtam printers. Printing bio-printers would enable the larger versions to heal, given a little while, and realign. If we roll well, we could be on our way to nearly immediately producing biological objects of significant scale.
---
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 34