Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 34

Author Topic: Planetary Arms Race - Moerth, Strategy Phase 2212  (Read 38040 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Arms Race - Moerth, Design Phase 2206
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2017, 11:39:07 am »

Akhsoyrtam* Printers (2): Detoxicated, Felissan
Interplanetary Makeshift Warship (3): NUKE9.13, 10ebbor10, Nirur Torir

Questions: What happens if both sides try to land on the furthest planets they can reach on the first turn?
Can transports hop around to visit multiple planets a turn?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 11:43:13 am by Nirur Torir »

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2017, 03:51:00 pm »

Quote from: Votes
Akhsoyrtam* Printers (3): Detoxicated, Felissan, Shadowclaw

I think improved printers is a long-term goal that will be better and have more confounded bonuses the earlier we get it, also the votes need a little competition imo.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2017, 03:57:20 pm »

Quote from: Votes
Akhsoyrtam* Printers (3): Detoxicated, Felissan, Shadowclaw

I think improved printers is a long-term goal that will be better and have more confounded bonuses the earlier we get it, also the votes need a little competition imo.

Alright. Because it's tied up, I'm going to back up my Printers. Here's my explanation.

No, it's not a fancy and crazy new development. However, it'll help basically everything else we do on a large scale from here on out. We build makeshift warships? Gonna need big parts. Going forward we'll be able to refine printer design capabilities so that we can start printing circuits and complex materials. This will, I hope, provide early, longitudinal, bonuses to all our technology going forward, and allow us to field more of everything later on.

Akhsoyrtam* Printers (4): Detoxicated, Felissan, Shadowclaw, Draignean
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Yottawhat

• Bay Watcher
  • New face, new look.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2017, 03:59:21 pm »

Akhsoyrtam* Printers (5): Detoxicated, Felissan, Shadowclaw, Draignean, Yottawhat

Additional production capital sounds like a good thing.
(1) You start forward with determination and certainty. You carry this determination with you right into the gaping crater that opens under your feet. You fall into a pit. The sounds of combat above dim, along with the light from the suns. In the quiet below, you hear some other noises instead.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2017, 04:15:05 pm »

A transport can only make one trip in a turn.
If you have Units in a planet that was just blocked off, they'll start suffering penalties in combat and new Units or equipment can't be sent to them. For balance reasons, they can still be moved to a valid planet with a transport.

So as soon as a planet behind any other planet without troops sees enemy presence, your troops are going to be hit with penalties.
It's a bit unrealistic in terms of IC logical sense, but I prefer my sanity over that.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2017, 04:57:49 pm »

I still want a warship, but improving our printers might actually be a decent first move. It should synergize well with revising the pistols, and our more complex production infrastructure should help with out-doing them on the next design phase. It might even give us another transport.

I'd like to do something flashy like revising guns this turn (even if the printers flop), so they think we got a bad roll instead of focusing on econ.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2017, 05:16:49 pm »

Akhsoyrtam* Printers (6): NUKE9.13, Detoxicated, Felissan, Shadowclaw, Draignean, Yottawhat
Interplanetary Makeshift Warship (2): 10ebbor10, Nirur Torir
I don't especially like it, but just to speed things along I'll vote for the printers. Sorry Chief, you're going to have to think up how improving our production ability works in game.
Long Live United Forenia!

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2017, 05:20:39 pm »

I'm all for more production, but I think we should try to get something better than a printer. A proper Foundry or something would allow us to make heavy armor plating for both infantry and spacecraft, and gun parts that are not shit.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2017, 05:22:35 pm »

I'm all for more production, but I think we should try to get something better than a printer. A proper Foundry or something would allow us to make heavy armor plating for both infantry and spacecraft, and gun parts that are not shit.
It can safely be assumed that we have basic production facilities. We do not have to create literally all of our infrastructure.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2017, 05:23:52 pm »

Which I think we should do by augmenting our printers later on. Instead of a conventional foundry, we can run super-printers using bulk metallic glasses that can print a spacefaring vessel from the ground up.

In my book: Sci-Fi powered printers >> Conventional Foundries.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Arms Race - Moerth, Revision Phase 2206
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2017, 05:30:00 pm »

Improving production abilities at the moment is able to reduce your penalties for producing things covered by the new production capabilities, and has the possibility to give you more Production lines if it goes extremely well.
Design: Akhsoyrtam Printers
1+1, 5, 6+1

The idea of Akhsoyrtam Printers was surprisingly ambitious. We have already had experience with 3D printing in many areas of the colony, but this was done via large expensive 3d printers that were expensive and time-consuming to create. Instead, we could develop a printer that would do that work for us.
The first task was to expand the capabilities of existing printers to work with smaller details and thus be able to create better components. This was simple and accomplished easily. But after this is where we encountered a serious issue.

The new and upgraded 3d printers could now print components to other printers, yes, but not to perfect level of detail used in regular construction techniques. Generation 1 would make near-perfect parts, but then generation 2 would make good parts, with generation 3 being reduced to only "workable". Each new generation was progressively worse at its task thanks to the imprecise components used in that generation's construction.
Central Command, upon hearing about this quirk, decided that the new Akhsoyrtam Printers were to not be used for creating new printers as they felt any level of imprecision in the printers could lead to more malfunctions in our military items at critical times.

The project isn't a failure, however. All existing printers are currently being upgraded to new models, and we can use these upgraded printers to make goods some degree of advancement higher than the previous printers.

Our knowledge of general-use 3d printing such as that used for printed pistols and many civilian goods in Moerth helped in both eliminating any potential bugs and maximizing the effectiveness.

It is now the Revision Phase of 2206.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2017, 05:40:27 pm »

Everyone wants a improved pistol, well let's get a revision for the pistol.

Printed Pistol Mk 1.1: The pistols general latency problems with accuracy, stability, and general handling will be revised with this new blueprint update. Have the new blueprint of the pistol have a extended barrel for improved range and stopping power, make the magazines/clips more banana-like to be more comfortable for usage, and make the cyclic pistol trigger and rechambering system be less prone to jams and malfunctions.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2017, 05:45:21 pm »

Rifles or pistols .. let's upgrade pistols. Our current suits should limit rifle accuracy anyway, and I don't know how much room we have for the bullet power upgrade implied by rifles.

Printed Pistol Mk 1.1 (2): Shadowclaw777, Nirur Torir

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2017, 05:49:42 pm »

Printed Pistol Mk 1.1 (3): Shadowclaw777, Nirur Torir, NUKE9.13
Can I suggest we call it the Mk 2, though? This is enough of a change to warrant a new number, I feel.

Yottawhat

• Bay Watcher
  • New face, new look.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2017, 05:50:14 pm »

Printed Pistol Mk 1.1 (4): Shadowclaw777, Nirur Torir, NUKE9.13, Yottawhat

Doubt we could design rifles anyway in the revision phase.
(1) You start forward with determination and certainty. You carry this determination with you right into the gaping crater that opens under your feet. You fall into a pit. The sounds of combat above dim, along with the light from the suns. In the quiet below, you hear some other noises instead.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 34