Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 34

Author Topic: Planetary Arms Race - Moerth, Strategy Phase 2212  (Read 38114 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Arms Race - Moerth, Design Phase 2210
« Reply #255 on: May 24, 2017, 09:23:17 pm »

Yggdrasil: (2) Madman198237, Nirur Torir

It's mentioned that it will be able to construct vessels slightly larger than the Iliad.

Also, unless Chief disagrees, the atmosphere isn't the problem, it's the gravity. IF you can't fight gravity you crash. If you CAN, then atmosphere isn't a problem---you're a sealed environment and can descend slowly enough to avoid stressing the hull.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Arms Race - Moerth, Design Phase 2209
« Reply #256 on: May 24, 2017, 09:28:34 pm »

There is a large difference between "These facilities can handle ships up to X size" and "We're spending part of this to streamline the Iliad production just a bit more."

Yggdrasil: (1) Madman198237
Yggdrasil prepped for Iliad construction: (1) Nirur Torir

Also, unless Chief disagrees, the atmosphere isn't the problem, it's the gravity. IF you can't fight gravity you crash. If you CAN, then atmosphere isn't a problem---you're a sealed environment and can descend slowly enough to avoid stressing the hull.
No, just have a low orbit slightly above the mountain ranges and do fly-bys.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 24, 2017, 09:30:25 pm »

OK....again, you need too much thrust (Most likely) to break out of that orbit, being much closer to the planet.

And fine, consider the thing prepped for Iliad construction. I don't honestly know why you'd specify that. I think the DM can figure out that "Built to construct ships" and "Capable of constructing ships up to X size above Iliad" means that it can produce the Iliad.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 24, 2017, 09:41:28 pm »

OK....again, you need too much thrust (Most likely) to break out of that orbit, being much closer to the planet.
Thrust is only really a problem for launching, not for shifting orbits, and we have unused transport capacity for more fuel. But never-mind, I'm tired and re-read Chief's message, and we can't get the precision to do anything other than bombard non-existent fortresses.

And fine, consider the thing prepped for Iliad construction. I don't honestly know why you'd specify that. I think the DM can figure out that "Built to construct ships" and "Capable of constructing ships up to X size above Iliad" means that it can produce the Iliad.
The difference is that 50 turns in I wouldn't expect a shipyard upgrade to upgrade all existing designs. Thus, I don't expect a pure shipyard upgrade to upgrade existing designs now. It might, and it would be nice, but it's worth specifying.
And you're really strawmanning that.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 24, 2017, 09:43:02 pm »

Oh for God's sake.

Quote from: Slightly modified design
Yggdrasil SS-01A
Built entirely in space, this revolutionary new structure is basically a free-falling warehouse and factory with 4 arm-like structures. Two of them are docking areas, comprising a place for a spacecraft to dock and load/unload crew, goods, weaponry, or ammunition. The other two are construction yards, capable of building or refitting/repairing one ship at a time or being used as more docking space. It is to be locked in a geosynchronous orbit over an empty part of one of Moerth's landmass(es). Everything needed to build spaceships, and almost everything meant to travel on them, will first go to this station. Shuttles from the surface dock next to the roots of the arms, in small bays made specifically for the ease of loading and unloading cargo and people. There are basic crew amenities in the central section. It has a few emergency course-correction thrusters scattered evenly around its surface. If its orbit threatens the population below, it is to be corrected immediately. If it cannot be corrected, there are hundreds of contingency plans for an emergency evacuation from the station, which will then make an escape from the planet or, if that is not possible, a descent into the atmosphere in such a way that the wreckage hits in the middle of an empty area, and all possible debris falls away from populated centers.

Highly modular construction allows both quick replacement of damaged modules and simple expansion. The current construction yard modules are geared primarily to produce the Illiad class warship, with expanded dry-dock facilities available for experimental designs up to 150% the scale of current designs.

Okay compromise?

We can upgrade the station modules later.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 11:36:03 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 24, 2017, 09:53:46 pm »

Okay compromise?

Yggdrasil: (2) Madman198237, Nirur Torir

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 25, 2017, 01:29:38 am »

Yggdrasil: (3) Madman198237, Nirur Torir, NUKE9.13

Yeah, alright. We need more ships to compete with the more ships they will be pumping out now that they have metal sources. (I've linked to Draignean's version. I assume everyone is okay with that)

For our revision, we need to create a proper transport (Hollow out the Iliad, perhaps). And then next turn, we need to design an all-terrain (including water), small-arms-proof vehicle. That'll let us close the distance with their snipers without fear, and give us the mobility we need on C2. (We will need the transport to move a vehicle that will probably be more than 1 CU)
Long Live United Forenia!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Arms Race - Moerth, Strategy Phase 2209
« Reply #262 on: May 25, 2017, 01:35:02 am »

Updated version of the list

Turn 1 : Enemy designs nothing new
Turn 2 : Semi-automatic battle rifle
Turn 3 : Winged Fighter and armor suit
Turn 4 : Carrier

Current enemy distribution :

B2 : Battle rifle [M: 2/3, A: 1/3]   US WINNING
A2 : [M: 1/3, A: 2/3] US Losing
    - Battle Rifle, Armored Suit
    - Battle Rifle
C2 : Carrier + 2 fighters [M: 2/3, A: 1/3] Us losing
    - Battle Rifle
    - Battle Rifle

Spoiler: Enemy designs (click to show/hide)
[/quote]

Apparently, you don't need troops on a resource planet to finish occupation. Wish we'd known that.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 25, 2017, 10:41:49 am »

Yggdrasil: (3) Madman198237, Nirur Torir, NUKE9.13

Yeah, alright. We need more ships to compete with the more ships they will be pumping out now that they have metal sources. (I've linked to Draignean's version. I assume everyone is okay with that)

For our revision, we need to create a proper transport (Hollow out the Iliad, perhaps). And then next turn, we need to design an all-terrain (including water), small-arms-proof vehicle. That'll let us close the distance with their snipers without fear, and give us the mobility we need on C2. (We will need the transport to move a vehicle that will probably be more than 1 CU)

For our revision, I'd like to upgrade our missile systems- in particular tracking. There is absolutely no reason we should have to wait for a firing arc with our missile launchers. We should be able to lock, fire, and forget.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 25, 2017, 10:51:14 am »

Oh yes.

Should be enormously simple too, given that we have the ability to integrate whatever electronics are needed directly into the case.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 25, 2017, 11:14:36 am »

Is no one going to compound that we had to shoot multiple volleys of missiles to hit their fighters, while their fighters launched effectively 4 missiles that all hit. I'm pretty sure they have some sort of tracking missiles. They probably spent their revision phase or a previous design phase to create them.

Second, what I'm confused about during the strategy phases is while we let go and let the Amaokians to have control and extract resources in A3 and C3, we haven't sent any units in A1 or C1 to begin resource extraction. As it was already mentioned, we can send our two units into A1 and C1 and we don't have to keep them for multiple turns for occupation. Theirs probably going to be extra units or even production lines, for occupations for these planets. Which means that since the Amaokians have access to 2 planets and a homeworld, while we only have a homeworld. They are probably going to have some sort of advantage over us because of the extra planets they control over us.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 11:54:22 am by Shadowclaw777 »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 25, 2017, 11:52:37 am »

Is no one going to compound that we had to shoot multiple volleys of missiles to hit their fighters, while their fighters launched effectively 4 missiles that all hit. I'm pretty sure they have some sort of tracking missiles. They probably spent their revision phase or a previous design phase to create hem.

Yeah, that is an issue. Pretty sure our missiles are guided though.

Second, what I'm confused about during the strategy phases is while we let go and let the Amaokians to have control and extract resources in A3 and C3, we haven't sent any units in A1 or C1 to begin resource extraction. As it was already mentioned, we can send our two units into A1 and C1 and we don't have to keep them for multiple turns for occupation. Theirs probably going to be extra units or even production lines, for occupations for these planets. Which means that since the Amaokians have access to 2 planets and a homeworld, while we only have a homeworld. They are probably going to have some sort of advantage over us because of the extra planets they control over us.

The problem is, where are you going to get the soldiers? You need them there for 3 turns at least, until all terrain is captured.

On another note, benefit of planets is fairly small. You need to dedicate a transport vessel to get 1 resource, which can allow you to make 1 extra example from 1 design.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 11:54:40 am by 10ebbor10 »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 25, 2017, 12:05:59 pm »

On another note, benefit of planets is fairly small. You need to dedicate a transport vessel to get 1 resource, which can allow you to make 1 extra example from 1 design.
...oh, so you do.
Cargo & Logistics & Resources - Interplanetary travel isn't easy. Transport methods must be utilized to transport Units, resources, and designs. The weight and cargo space something taken is represented by their CU level. Every design has a CU level. A Unit has a CU level of 2, and 1 Resource has a CU level of 3.
Resources are present on the planets, and when that planet is under full control, a transport craft can be assigned to ferry that resource. But the effectiveness depends on the CU of that craft - for example, 2 resources on a planet require 6 CU total in order to gain control of those resources. Transport craft assigned to resources are considered a part of their expense limit.
So not only would they need a transport, they'd need a newly designed transport, since the ITC can't carry non-unit cargo with a CU greater than 1.

Phew. I'm a lot less worried now.

Anyway, I guess I'd be fine with revising the Iliad (and IMW, for all the good it does)'s missiles to have better tracking abilities. Who knows, maybe we could design a vehicle that is smaller than 1 CU.
Long Live United Forenia!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 25, 2017, 12:09:09 pm »

Anyway, I guess I'd be fine with revising the Iliad (and IMW, for all the good it does)'s missiles to have better tracking abilities. Who knows, maybe we could design a vehicle that is smaller than 1 CU.

Probably not one capable of withstanding sniper fire.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for firing a Bolter from the back of a hoverbike, but Small+All-Terrain+Armored is a tall bill.
---

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 25, 2017, 12:38:20 pm »

Anyway, more analysis of past battles.

Quote from: 2207
A3  [M: 1/3]
C3  [M: 1/3]
B2  [M: 1/3, A: 1/3]
A2  [A: 1/3]
C2. [A: 1/3]

Quote from: 2208
A3  [M: 1/3 A: 2/3]  2 Tiles Lost
C3  [M: 1/3 A: 2/3]  2 Tiles Lost
A2   Not mentioned Presumably [A: 2/3] 1 tile lost
C2. [M: 2/3, A: 1/3]  2 Tiles gained

Quote from: 2209
A3  [A: 3/3]  1 Tiles Lost
C3  [A: 3/3]  1 Tiles Lost
A2  [M: 1/3, A: 2/3]  1 Tiles gained
C2. [M: 3/3, A: 0/3]  1 Tiles gained

Quote from: 2210
A2. [M: 0/3, A: 3/3]  1 Tile lost
B2  [M: 2/3, A: 1/3]  1 Tile gained
C2. [M: 2/3, A: 1/3]  1 Tile lost

GM: Why did everyone gain double the normal amount of tiles in 2208?

Anyway, I think we evacuated too early. In 2208, our units were threatened with destruction, but it turns out that they won't be destroyed even at 0/3.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 12:44:45 pm by 10ebbor10 »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 34