Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 228

Author Topic: 888th Brigade: DAY OF THE PURGE  (Read 467338 times)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: 888th Brigade: Booby Traps
« Reply #1890 on: April 03, 2018, 07:25:12 pm »

"And once again, everybody except me starts dying for some reason that definitely isn't my fault.  I'd question why this always happens, but I know I wouldn't get any answer."

Calmly sip tea while all my allies die.  Order whatever the most expensive item on the menu is.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: 888th Brigade: Southern Advance.
« Reply #1891 on: April 03, 2018, 07:39:54 pm »

Take Cover. Far away from room. Make sure I'm not in the way of a crowd.

"Clear out!"

Spoiler: Denver Gaunt (click to show/hide)
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1892 on: April 06, 2018, 06:01:36 pm »

We seem to have very many orders of "Run" today. To save us all time, I'm going to process every other order first, and then see if "Run" is still a valid order. I mean, its always valid, but sometimes its superfluous.

Continue waiting, Bob will try to see if he can patch into actual police channels to see if they're already responding or what.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[3]
You attempt to patch yourself into the real police radios but can't quite do it. You can tell, via the general tone and urgency of the garbled static and incomprehensible voices that the police probably know something has happened and are en-route, but you can't make out any specifics no matter how much you fiddle with the dials.

"And once again, everybody except me starts dying for some reason that definitely isn't my fault.  I'd question why this always happens, but I know I wouldn't get any answer."

Calmly sip tea while all my allies die.  Order whatever the most expensive item on the menu is.

"Ah. Hmm. I think people we know are about to die. Ed is yelling very insistently over the radio, which isn't a good sign."

Well! What is it!

Spoiler: Alice! (click to show/hide)
"You think we should go back and help them?" Alice says, as the coffee arrives.

"No." Simon replies, dumping an alarming amount of sugar into his coffee.

"Why not?"

"If they're yelling, either things are about to explode or everyone is already in the process of dying. Or being arrested. None of those situations are my area of expertise."

"Not even getting arrested?"

Simon stirs his coffee in meaningful silence.

"Uh Huh.  So whats the plan then? Wait for everything to shake out however its going to and then meet up with the survivors? Or are we just gonna catch a cab and head west until we end up on the Elijah?"

"We'll see how it plays out for now. If they contain the situation we'll reconnect with them. If things go violently terrible, we'll find our own way out."

"Think they'll get us for desertion?"

"Not our fault we got separated from the team in the chaos. We're incompetent, not traitors."

"Strategic incompetence. Yes. Its just mundane enough to work!"

"Been working for you for years, I bet."

"You're an asshole, you know that?"

"Yes. But I'm alive. And when every gallant idiot is rotting in a trench, I will be alive."

"You have the tenacity and lovable personality of black mold."

"I'll say something sarcastic at your funeral."

Statistics? Friendly fire? Snesless babbling? That's my Radio! I'm coming buddy!"
Ed will approach the suite and haul his equipment back to the end of the hall, or someplace clear of smoke, then he will assist in repairing Radio's damaged hand. If no more Nazis are forthcoming, He'll go in the apartment and search for the bombs, to disable them and add them (and the press) to his inventory.

Spoiler: Edward Bohring (click to show/hide)
You saunter over to the entrance and start packing things back up, unhooking tripwires and generally making the hall more or less OSHA compliant. After finishing that you head into the apartment and follow Tala's grumbling of traps. [1] You reach through the opening in the door and, with a pair of wire cutters, snip the steel wire. From inside you can hear a whiz of movement as the wire sides across something and then a clank and a half dozen metallic "PING!"s.

"Ah. Its one of those kind of traps." You say, carefully placing your wire cutters back into your bag and gingerly shutting the door, patting it twice after its closed. You spin on your heel and promptly start running.
Tala kept a wary eye on Edward as he did all that--wondering in the split seconds why he didn't bother communicating...as an idea hit her as she got her answer.

"RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN!!!!!!"
In the time between Edward's telegraphed approach and safekeeping, she had a layout of the area given her skills as a hotel custodian/cleaning service crew -n undercover journalist. This was the third floor of a higher-rise apartment: A delayed explosive would be notable for several reasons; the one who tripped it forgot it was trapped, or some 'nosy' cleaner accidentally did it in (thus it would be disguised as the affable English-speakers cover it up while distracting the fellow); it would have a very familiar method of being deactivated, but something inconspicuous to the 'nosy' snooper until it was too late; it would create more trouble than it was worth, blowing up a whole sizeable area of a floor for the worth of keeping intelligence protected and-...

As Edward's certainty appeared fixed, Tala turned to the only other guy present nearby: Someone...she didn't really know the name of, but had the 888th mannerism about him. She had the last idea in mind of the worst case scenario, alongside the damage in the least to the PR of the 888th and their trust in the British Allied Forces if this would result in both a lost Printing Press, and multiple casualties in wartime on home soil, and at worst, a political backlash, which wasn't needed in the current time. Either way, she had two notable options--suggestably note that he was welcome to help, or to leg it out.

"Help me or run!" she said to him, having her handy-talkie still on her person in the heat of the moment (so everyone could hear), "I'm getting that explosive out! Edward, if I die here, I'll kill you!"

. . .I wish your surname was Cullen, so I can be thoroughly grumpy, Edward.

Anyway:
> Get in that area, be extremely wary about traps, with the aim of deescalating the whole thing and saving the printing press (chuck it out the window, find a switch to disarm or delay the explosive, depending on the roll, make it work out the best for narrative; this includes using my rifle or something as a disarmament aid, like shooting a wire or such, I've no idea what 'trap' this was, but this is the theme of my action), like even throwing them in the sitting room or other lesser dangerous area would be a point to do [I lack knowledge of these terms and places, but the intent is to deescalate this tense situation]
> I am not escaping this area.

Spoiler: My Sheet (click to show/hide)
((Hey Ti, assuming you survive, would you mind spoiling things sometimes? The girth of your post is frightening.))

You barge straight into the room. Its a bedroom, though the bed has been shoved up against the wall and all other furniture has been stacked up around or on top of it. The room is dark, lit only by the lights outside the window,  but even still the bulk of the printing press is visible right in the center of the room. Its not as big as you originally thought, though its still the size of a table and about as tall as you are. They must have brought it in pieces and then assembled it here. There are stacks of unused paper and finished newspapers all around. You scan quickly, following the wire back to the press and see what the trap is: Grenades. The wire being released seems to have pulled the pins on about a half dozen frag and incendiary grenades that are now scattered around the press.

[6][6]

You take only a half second to formulate a plan and then get moving. You flip your rifle, holding it by the barrel, and swing it like a baseball bat at the window, smashing the glass and the wooden crossbars out in a single blow. You don't even bother to stop it, you just drop the rifle as soon as the glass is free and dive to the ground, scooping up grenades. The incendiary ones are already starting to catch, spraying particles of white phosphorous and smoke, threatening to light all the paper and turn the room into an inferno. You grab them, ignoring the burning heat and searing flecks of light, and start hurling them out the window, one after another or two or even three at a time. You have no idea how long it takes, each second seems to last a lifetime and no time at all. Finally, you throw the last one, the potato masher sailing forward, spinning like a baton.  The window frames it as it tumbles, arcing off towards the park and the street. And then they go off.

The rest of the window, as well as every other window nearby, shatters and explodes inward, filling the room with glass and wood and plaster. Your ears are ringing, but you can still hear the screaming down on the street.

Take Cover. Far away from room. Make sure I'm not in the way of a crowd.

"Clear out!"

Seeing the commotion and sudden crowd of people running for it, you decide that maybe sticking around here is a bad idea. You're not in the best shape, but the aid and the pain killers are working well enough for you to shove yourself up and half jog, half limp down the hall to the stairwell.

Oh. Those traps.
“That can’t be good!
To the residents:  Everyone, stay away from the door!” We have squibs in there, and some prankster just lit the fuse! Expect loud noises, possibly flames, but don’t worry, just don’t get too close!
“Hey Lady, I really am not a bomb person, so I’m just gonna run and scream descalating things at the residents!

run! Away! Then scream that everything is okay, expect a loud noise at anybody that listens.
Edit: screams.
You run straight out into the hall and proceed to scream at every single civilian head that you see poking out from a door that there are live explosives about to go off in the next room, but that they shouldn't worry about it. Its probably fine so long as they just...you know...duck and cover and stuff.

You also make it to the stairwell.

Run Fast. Take the most expeditious route away from exploding. Run with eyes wide, a sense of urgency written across every feature. Be a pargon of that most dire of auguries: The Fleeing Explosives Expert. Scream:

As I run. Scream it primarily at the Radio, secondarily at the confused civilians, and tertiarily at the rest of the team, but mostly, just scream it in the general direction in which Ed is running.

You also run out of the room, though your message is perhaps not as restrained as the man who came before you. He argued for caution and cover, while you are arguing for pants-shitting terror and horrified sprinting. You don't really stop to see if anyone is following your advice, due to the previously mentioned pants-shitting terror. But you make it to the stairwell, just as all the others.

As I run. Scream it primarily at the Radio, secondarily at the confused civilians, and tertiarily at the rest of the team, but mostly, just scream it in the general direction in which Ed is running.

"Oh goodie, an ordnance technician at a dead run." The radioman thought to himself, as he was lifting the next body onto the cart.

"Eep."

Running running running.

Spoiler: Radioman (click to show/hide)
Run away, yelling at everyone to get away from the room or get to cover.
Spoiler: Carolina (click to show/hide)
The final two people out focus mainly on the running aspect of the running, leaving the screaming to the men who had come before. Most inquisitive heads have either ducked back into their rooms or are staring in that sort of Deer-in-the-headlights kind of uncomprehending terror. No one has started following you or running on their own yet.

You both reach the stairwell too.

Strider03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: April 06, 2018, 06:16:06 pm »

"Hey! Radio dude!" Bob called over the radio. "You got any advice on patching into police radios? There are gonna be a few on us soon, and I wanna know what roads they're gonna be taking and stuff."

Bob will request advice from Radio, and follow it trying to get info on where the police are coming from, how many, etc.

Within that world, she was God. But here, outside of it, her name was Yoake o-Shiri. That was unimportant. She was a Godslayer. That too was unimportant. But what was important, was that she had a motherfucking boat.
And by God, was she going to use it.

"But deceleration is for pansies. We're headed for the stars. Bye, Burnsie. Bye, Mission Control. Bye, Sol. See you at heat death" -Blindsight

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
Re: 888th Brigade
« Reply #1894 on: April 06, 2018, 06:24:15 pm »

Alice turns around in her chair, trying to get and angle out the window on the explosion sound she just heard.
"Which thing would be worse: that explosion was because of the team, or it was because of the nazis?"
After a few seconds on neck-craning she gives up and turns back to Simon.
"Ahem. Anyway, I'm sure you'd claim you're being sarcastic, but it'll all be true really. You're just- uh, I'm looking for a word here. I'm sure I've heard..."

Alice likes flying planes. Alice does not like pistols or stealth missions or explosive traps, but planes are just fine. Buuuuuut when there's not plane available coffee and snacks will have to do.

Spoiler: Alice! (click to show/hide)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: April 06, 2018, 06:40:24 pm »

Radio: "Tala, are you alive in there?"
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: April 06, 2018, 08:04:32 pm »

run back to the room. As quickly as possible, strip myself of everything accept for anything that can be used to identify me. Try to find civilian clothes. If not, get two towels. Wrap one around myself, and use the other to wrap around any form of ID I’m carrying, as well as the Luger and the handy (turn off the handy for the time being). Leave the building, pretending to be a frightened guest. Make my way to a place where I can sit tight for a time (Probably a one person bathroom in a nearby building). Once there, radio a status update to HQ and the rest of squad. Then sit tight and wait for response.

*Cursing in Portaguese the entire time*
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: April 07, 2018, 04:06:20 am »

Ed stops immediately, now that the explosion has occurred.

"That was less energetic than I expected. Whatever, let's call it in."

Ed radios in to mission HQ to let them know of our so-called 'success.'

"Hey boss, so, looks like we won. We might even still have a captive for you to interrogate. Best part? No one suspects it was German spies the whole time!"

Ed then heads back down to the bar for another beer.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: April 07, 2018, 04:39:00 am »

"Hey, waaait a minute..."

The radioman couldn't help but notice how those explosions sounded like they came from outside somehow. And that he wasn't shredded with shrapnel and choking on his own blood. Huh.

Bob will request advice from Radio, and follow it trying to get info on where the police are coming from, how many, etc.

Help with this. Also finish up loading the corpses of those Germans on the cart and cover them with something.

Question, could my lightning rifle be used to melt that printing press into unrecognizable slag?

Spoiler: Radioman (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 12:53:11 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: April 07, 2018, 04:42:00 am »

Question, could my lightning rifle be used to melt that printing press into unrecognizable slag?

((B-but if you're slagging the thing anyway, what did Tala just very dramatically risk her life to save?))

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: April 07, 2018, 06:25:49 am »

((Nothing of operational value, to be sure.  In fact she only made everything harder for everyone.  Except Simon and Alice, of course~))

"I'm hungry, that's what I am!  How long does it take to make a damn... however the hell you say that name?  Grah, it looks like our team isn't the only source of incompetency we have to wade through today.  Nothing's going right..."

Be annoyed with how long it's taking for food to arrive.  If a waitress or other staff passes by, loudly complain about the wait.  Simon bought ridiculously expensive food, he wants to actually get to enjoy it!

Edit:Be sure to ignore Tala requesting a sitrep from the sniper team.  In fact, Simon should turn the radio off, he's currently in the "undercover and hiding" stage of the mission, and having a military radio on around civvies could jeopardize the whole mission.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: April 07, 2018, 09:36:32 pm »

"Um, want one of these tomato sandwiches? They came out pretty quickly and I think I ordered too many for myself anyway."

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: April 08, 2018, 11:59:20 am »

Help clean out the room of any Nazi evidence, pack up the cart and leave with the crew.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: April 08, 2018, 12:40:21 pm »

((Nothing of operational value, to be sure.  In fact she only made everything harder for everyone.  Except Simon and Alice, of course~))
((This sounds so mean to me! :'( Why are you all in a restaurant anyway?! What happened to overwatch or looking out for your teammates before there's any confirmation of a battle being finished? WHY are you two even away from the site of operations?! >_> :-\

Also why is there no mention of any civilians outside to the bush-hiding team?))

Sniper team, what's the status of things outside?! I thought the whole street was clear down there?

Radio: "Tala, are you alive in there?"
Room was rigged; fragmentation grenades, and incendiary grenades. Had to think fast; broke a window, chucked them all out. Printing press (and this building probably) is safe. Please secure the press, everyone, else our efforts would be for naught. Please try to act like policemen quarantining the area and a perimeter; get in touch with HQ and give a sitrep. Radioman, please transmit everyone's radio signals for better coverage. I'll be tending to any wounded.

Hopefully those grenades exploded midair. Building may have collapsed or taken structural integrity damage if that load exploded here, and that would be a lot worse.

> First check the room for any important information; grab it and put it in my inventory. Check for any tools the spies may have used for communication. (If there's any listening device, either shoot or deactivate it)
>Donning my journalist uniform and dispose of the maid's one inconspicuously (in any place where I can, like a laundry chute on the same floor)
> Grab some of those medi-bags or first aid kits (whichever I can for the duration of this turn), and begin healing the most wounded I can get to.

Aim for the next turns: Medic'ing anyone wounded, with priority heading downstairs, assessing the damage, and tending to the wounded there if any.

> Also peer out of the window to assess the damage from a quick look. And reload my rifle if I can.

Spoiler: My Sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 12:23:18 am by Tiruin »

Leodanny

• Bay Watcher
  • Ah
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: April 08, 2018, 06:51:24 pm »

”huh. I’m not dead. Well, that’s a relief. Now, to help with cleanup.”
godamn hella boring stuff.
“Okay, ya’ll, the bomb go boom, it’s all fine now!” 

thanking my lucky stars, go help with clean up and generally being a helpful guy.
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 228