Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 228

Author Topic: 888th Brigade: DAY OF THE PURGE  (Read 467200 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: 888th Brigade: Room Service
« Reply #1815 on: March 12, 2018, 07:01:18 am »

((Uhh.  Piecewise did ask me to do this...))
((I AM SO SORRY, I LOVE YOU, THANK YOU! Also I added a priority to be actually realistic and 'safe' rather than shooty people-y and compromise integrity of a counterfeiting force.
Sorry too Piece x_x))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: March 12, 2018, 07:05:03 am »

((Should I point out that "shooting to disable" will pretty much always be pretty lethal?))

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: March 12, 2018, 07:20:27 am »

((Any time you use a gun there's risk of lethality, but it isn't entirely impossible to disable people non-lethally with firearms.  Generally people won't die quickly from shots to the extremities--the lower the better--and if they're going to take a minute to bleed out, that's hopefully enough time to finish the gunfight and put a tourniquet on them.  Also, even when shooting to kill, guns are very very random in effectiveness.  Sometimes one bullet will kill a person in seconds, sometimes a person can absorb ten and survive, at least with prompt medical attention.

It helps a lot that Tala's using a subsonic pistol caliber.  That's about the least lethal a gun can be.))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: March 12, 2018, 07:25:28 am »

((Gun too RNG-heavy mechanic pls balance reality.))

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: March 12, 2018, 07:38:30 am »

((It's actually more that real life's HP system is way too RNG heavy.  I've seen videos where people get tapped on the head, and immediately keel over dead--and others where people literally get torn apart, and still refuse to depart.  Compared to the vast majority of ways you can be killed, guns are extremely reliable.))

dustywayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking since 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: March 12, 2018, 08:27:47 am »

Not one to wait, Charlie heads in towards the room being infiltrated, nearly tripping over piles of inconspicuous danger along the way. Get out a crescent wrench to help with the plumbing and hope no one notices that plumbers generally use something bigger and heavier.
Spoiler: Charlie (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 08:30:58 am by dustywayfarer »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: 888th Brigade: Paperboys
« Reply #1821 on: March 12, 2018, 03:23:28 pm »

Wait out of sight of door, knife ready. If the room service crew is found out, start stabbing.

Denver grins toothily and licks his lips.

Spoiler: Denver Gaunt (click to show/hide)
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1822 on: March 12, 2018, 05:32:27 pm »

Waiting on something here.

As per risk and stuff...honestly I feel like I'll just keep the rolling system as is with the standard stuff and go to something FAR simpler. Maybe just straight normal hp and dice rolls for how much damage I think it should do.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: March 12, 2018, 05:36:45 pm »

As per risk and stuff...honestly I feel like I'll just keep the rolling system as is with the standard stuff and go to something FAR simpler. Maybe just straight normal hp and dice rolls for how much damage I think it should do.
d-did you unexplosive my traps though? I mean, I'd like to know exactly how far to run away form the ensuing action. Bombs means run further. Not even going back for it should my fancy hat fall off.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: March 12, 2018, 09:06:36 pm »

Wait, risk wasn't just regular HP?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: March 13, 2018, 12:28:53 am »

((As I'm unsure if this all hedges in on one action...I put a conditional :-X))
> First assess if the initial idea of 'chiming in in German is a good idea, to sneak them out of the place as if we're on their side'.
> If no, then use that smoke grenade to fake a fire...
((I mean if this is too much to act in 10 minutes, then Piecewise can just run the 4 objectives and assessment, then leave the final decision out next turn))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1826 on: March 13, 2018, 11:29:27 pm »

After leaning back to stare into the park again, Bob leaned forward as though to exit the car, then slumped down again. Not his problem, right? He leaned forward. If there were any more of these people, they'd probably be fleeing the hotel, or maybe there might be another branch that made deliveries to the park? But no, that wasn't likely. He hesitated a moment, made sure no one was looking at the car, then opened the door and jogged out, heading into the hotel. He would just check with the management, make sure they knew about the bust, then head back out and wait again. In and out, it would be quick.

Find the management, and make sure they're clear about the impending situation, make sure they're ready to get medical assistance in case of civilianc casualties, and make sure they have a story to prevent a panic.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[1]
You step out of the car and stretch, lifting your arms above your head and standing on your tiptoes with a hissing grunt.  You've spent too long in this car; time to do something productive! You grab your expertly cleaned and maintained pistol, strip your shirt off and walk across the street into the lobby of the park crescent building. You walk in, gun in hand, and up to the desk. There's no one there so you slap the little bell and wait.

Nothing.

You slap it again as a couple walks by, out of the building.

"Howdy neighbors! What are your opinions on murder?" You say, waving at them with the hand holding the gun. They scream and start running. You shrug. Very rude of them.

Its about this point when a man in a uniform appears from a back room and takes up position at the desk. You stare at him before hitting the bell again. He furrows his brow and stares at you. You rest an elbow on the desk and your head in your hand before hitting the bell again.

"Sir?" He says, leaning towards you.

You slap the gun down on the desk and return his stare.  He goes quiet and leans back away from you, eyes wide and entirely focused on the weapon.

"Uh...Sir is there-"

You shoot the bell. Maybe it makes a sound, all you can hear is the bang of the gun reverberating around the room and your ears ringing afterwards. The bell goes flying, somewhere, in several pieces. The receptionist has thrown himself down behind the desk and is babbling something unintelligible. You watch him for a few moments before stripping off your pants and hopping up to sit on the desk, facing him. You dangle your feet down near his head while scratching your nose with the tip of the pistol's barrel.

"So." You say, finally "I just wanna let ya know that there's a pretty good chance that you're gonna need an ambulance here pretty soon. Maybe several. Because things are about to get fun."

As you say that last part, you strip out of your underwear and drop it onto the terrified receptionist's upturned face before stretching out and laying, long ways, across the desk. You fire several times into the ceiling, bringing down plaster dust and bits of broken wood.

"Yeehaw."

Tripwires and other obstacles! Tripwires that are not rigged to explosives! I wanted tripwires, PW, Tripwires!

You know, so that the enemy would come out, trip and fall, and be easy pickings, not so that the enemy would come out, trigger Armageddon, and become so much paste smeared across the rubble of a once nice hotel that had the sad misfortune of encountering the 888th in it's efforts to 'help.' Not every trap needs thermite to be a success. Shocking, I know. Ed has a hard time believing it as well, considering his track record.

Hope this helps.

had i wanted to blow the building up, I would have done so by now. Grumble grumble gripe.

Also, that's some snazzy dialogue you added in to this post. I enjoyed every line of it.
Ooooh. Tripwires. Wires that trip. I guess. Well fine; you replace the bombs with boring metal wires to make people fall down.

Killjoy.

screw this stupid janitor plot, I didn’t need it anyway. Help Tala and Radio by staying outside the door and get anyone who tries to escape.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Okay, Tiruin. Thanks for helping me.
You head back upstairs and hang out near the door, ready to murder.

Well, we don't have a speech roll in this universe so I'm just gonna use will. Since no one decided to actually say what they wanted to say. Which is a lesson I would have thought you learned by now. Because you know how this black die is with speech rolls.
((My dear, you've got this the wrong way around: it is exactly because you roll those juicy dice whenever we don't do our own talking, that I'm not doing my own talking! I can make you do my writing, how could I pass that up?))

Let Tala do the talking, it's her grand plan after all. Apparently Tir preferred if I tried to help, but since I'm short on time I'll just make it an action. We'll be going with her plan it seems, meaning we'll be trying to convince the Germans that we're on their side and that we are here to exfiltrate them. Use the information we got from our prisoner to make our story more believable.

Should the negotiations go south in an unrecoverable way and these thugs get violent, try to disorient them by playing some extremely loud sound (like what I did on the ship). If allies then come in to overcome them, keep playing loud noise to mask the sounds from fighting. Maybe try to go for loud drilling noises.

Spoiler: Radioman (click to show/hide)
screw this stupid janitor plot, I didn’t need it anyway. Help Tala and Radio, then.
((Language! :P Coordinate with others, also sorry for not taking oversight in advice but I'm not sure what you're not sure about or want to do. Just checked your profile and being totally new and all.
Also warning ahead--if you do decide to do this, PLEASE make sure you speak IC, because say this situation happens: We do all right, you get in (roll badly or otherwise), and then it's an unannounced visit. Negative implications are what we try to avoid at times; clarity needed, as implied by Piece's warning up there about 'ok you're not doing dialogue? Let's dice it!'.))

Radio Controlled; I PM'd you a plan of conversation and otherwise, I'll be putting a placeholder action here for Piecewise. This is the placeholder priority action other than the 4 minor objectives:
> First assess if the initial idea of 'chiming in in German is a good idea, to sneak them out of the place as if we're on their side'. Did we get some passphrases, presumably from interrogation, if there are anything like that or stuff the spies use to identify others?
> If that's a no to the assessment; Use smoke grenade to fake a fire as the ten minutes are up, (ie "Oh dear, are these wires from the other room? Watch where you're putting tha- (activate smoke grenade, since my previous dialogue must've told the assault team to ready up to capture), FIRE!"), and Radio ushers *sternly* out those fellows while I tell the others to call the management up here. If they're (those thugs) going to help me, all the better--this gives time for the assault team to come in and "help out".

Hopefully bloodless, and a clean sweep of the area while apprehending the folks around.

Ten minutes.

Tala nodded to her fellow custodian and entered the room. She has several personal objectives, all that were easily accomplished given her demeanor:
1. Note down how many people are present; if there are signs of being armed or not; Tala did this by polite gestures as she let Radio's Character Radioman (...that's really his name?) look around for the bathroom--if he fails to stop the bathroom, she chides him casually by pointing out where the bathroom is and directing him that way. Something like "You're too focused on brand promotion. We've a job to do,
 don't want to hear more of the cobblewoddles from our customers!"

2. Note the visibility from the window, and if there is anything blocking the path there (basically note pathways of exit from the room)
3. Respond courteously but concisely to any questions asked; as Tala cannot have specifics unless Piece intervenes, here's a few sayings. If they ask 'what's the problem' if we're taking 'too long', we say "Residue clog; past resident, months old. Tons of hair. It's a girl thing." adding the last sentence only if appropriate;
4. The rest of the coded information will be spoken to Radio while we're in the bathroom--just like mad-libs, without the obvious hilarity. Tala will be speaking what she found out in code.

((For a preview, it's like the following. An asterisk means 'this is where a coded phrase notes specific information'. Of course, adjust to GM preference--I did love how you RP'd our characters. We sounded competent! :-\ :-[ :'(
"Hand me the brush while I get this open; it's been *[four] months since we last checked this bathroom. They *[should update] these checks more often. Drain is *[(barred by a lot of debris and covered up but the sink is all clear)]. We *[may need help with this later on]. Usual schedule; we apologize for the inconvenience." (To note '# of people other than us, present'; 'possibility of conventional weaponry or otherwise' (if not conventional weaponry, then it's "They've updated these things since last time.")' 'General passageways out the window for sniper team and assault team'; 'Cue for assault team to attack NOW' (Either a 'we may need help now/later, or never', because the 'never' means 'we'll be exiting and only scouting the area))
Also the PM is MOSTLY for purposes of 'Ok should we attack from this end, since you have sonic-ish blasts of disorientation, while I signal the assault team and hit the smoke grenade from our location as we distract them?' or 'Ok, let's just observe and scout out the room before the assault team gets in. I'll time the smoke grenade by stuffing the area; we need only a minute or so until the assault. Oh and have a good day boys, I hope we didn't take much of your time!". Gotta work on our big opportunity! It's not everyday that the dice or otherwise smiles upon us players here!
I can totally clarify the code for anyone finding it confusing!))

If it is agreed that we're attacking from the bathroom area, ready that smoke grenade for us, act all shocked because it's going to make an explodey-noise, then I'm dropping prone and using my pistol to aim to disable them.
If not, I'm just talking to transmit coded messages through Radio's radiohead, then exiting like a good maintenance team does. Courteously, with politeness.

Spoiler: My Sheet (click to show/hide)
Piecewise-Friendly version of the post above:

"Placeholder Action", presumably only done if Radio agrees:  Use the smoke grenade and some acting ("No, don't cross those wires!") to fake a fire, then usher out the occupants out while telling them to call management.  Presumably Radio gets to decide whether the assault team is called in.

Primary action (information gathering)
1. How many people are present in the apartment, and do they seem armed?
2. How visible is the room's window, and is the path clear enough to use as an escape route in an emergency?
3. If anyone asks questions please don't roll speech to respond to them and simply assume Tir would give a reasonable speech:5 quality answer.  Otherwise, talking to the occupants of the apartment is unnecessary.
4. All relevant information will be spoken to Radioman through non-humourous and realistic coded messages.  Unless something comes up that Tala could not talk to Radioman, he should know the answers to 1 & 2.

If teammates decide to attack from the bathroom area, activate the smoke grenade [whether it should be thrown or just dropped is ambiguous], act shocked, then draw the pistol and drop prone before shooting to disable.  [Shoot Nazi kneecaps and asses, one would assume?].

If teammates waffle about what to do (as they inevitably shall), just transmit information through Radio's headset to the main team's comms.  Also, act courteous and polite, like a quality maintenance team.

((Uhh.  Piecewise did ask me to do this...))
Not one to wait, Charlie heads in towards the room being infiltrated, nearly tripping over piles of inconspicuous danger along the way. Get out a crescent wrench to help with the plumbing and hope no one notices that plumbers generally use something bigger and heavier.
Spoiler: Charlie (click to show/hide)
[5]
So Charlie walks up, just comes around the corner, and tries to follow after Tala and Radio. Now, luckily he's a master of camouflage so the fact that he literally walked up wearing a gunbelt  doesn't seem to tip anyone off to there being something weird going on. Instead, they just let him in along with Tala and Radio, so that he can...what exactly? Stand around in the bathroom with them? Try to look busy? I don't know.

Tala leads the cart in and Radio follows after, both of them scanning the room as quickly and inconspicuously as they can on their way to the bathroom. There's basically just one big room, with a kitchen nook and a TV in a far corner, as well as a dining table and some scattered chairs. The window has its shades drawn and everything looks strangely empty; like 80% of the furniture has been sold off or removed, leaving only a few basic things in a great empty expanse. There are stacks of the propaganda paper against the far wall, dozens of bundles of the thing, wrapped in twine.  The press must be in that room to the right and in the back.

There are two men beyond the one that let you in visible in the room; they're over by the TV, on wooden kitchen chairs. They're staring back at the group, eyes hard and faces impassive. If they're armed, she can't see the weapons. As soon as they're in the bathroom, Tala speaks aloud to Radio (and everyone listening in via radio) in a nonchalant manner, not whispering or shouting.

"The room seems pretty sparsely decorated; I thought they had more to them, usually. And with the blinds drawn it must be awfully dark during the day. Then again, I suppose those three might like it that way; they seem rather serious; but not in a scary sort of way."

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: March 14, 2018, 06:16:04 am »

While the others kept pretend-working in the bathroom, the radio sauntered up to the guy who had let them in and began Operation Bamboozle German.

"Kameraden, ve are here to get ze out of here. Zie Amerikaner have diskovered zie operation, und zei are koming to-"
BANG.
"Shh, be quiet. Do zou hear zat?"
BANG BANG BANG.

"Ach, zei are already here! Scheiße, ve will have to move quickly. I zink ve may have, ah, drei minuten befor ze schweinehunde begin to tear down ze place und make a ruckus." The radioman continued, putting some extra emphasis on the last part and making sure his radio was transmitting.

Ve will have to take zie in zis cart und take zie to der backside of zie hotel in der stille, jawohl? Ve have arranged for ein truck to take zie, und zie vill be transported back to zie Fatherland. Ich have heard zie Furher himself was very pleased with dein success, und that he vill award ze vith zie Iron cross! But ve will have to act quick, jah, before zie zionisten und untermenschen find zie. Ve have already reskued zie other Kameraad, und after zie are all safe zie Dame" he said, pointing towards Tala and the other guy "vill make sure all zie evidence is disposed of und make it look like an accident caused by zie enemy. Ve know of zie bombs und how to use zem, do not vorry about zat.

Now zen, please, before it is too late."
At this he pulled the curtain from the cart they brought to indicate to the men they should get inside the cart quietly.

"Und leave zie gewerhn vith zie Dame, she vill dispose of zem as well."

The Best Plan continues.

Spoiler: Radioman (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 09:09:36 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: March 14, 2018, 07:02:10 am »

((For those of you who didn't catch it, the Radio just asked us all to "make a ruckus."

That is, he wants us to appear to be coming ot arrest them, or shoot them, or whatever, to add a sense of urgency to his claims, so the Nazis are more likely to fall for it.))
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 228