Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 44

Author Topic: SPAMMASTER: Spymistress Kalja the Bewitched  (Read 36435 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: SPAMMASTER: Spymaster Vaskir Sitar of Ortfast
« Reply #90 on: May 19, 2017, 01:49:28 pm »

You set your operatives to work on finding a more miscellaneous breed of royal to use for your terrible mission.

256 S.I., Winter

7!

Captain Bukhar, the chief of your piratical contingent of spies, bows deeply as he enters your office. Master, he says, there has been a discovery! In relation to that whole royal virgin business, he means.

Yes, you say as you continue idly polishing one of the creepy statues in your personal collection, do get on with it already.

Right, he says, sorry there, dread master. So they went out to the east, thought maybe there would be easier royal pickings in Vesperlund. Turns out they were right, found a princess and everything.

Your monocle nearly pops before you control yourself in time. A princess of Vesperlund?

Yeah, the captain says, a princess of Vesperlund. A legit one at that. Princess Annika, youngest daughter of Kaiser Othar III.

He kidnapped the youngest daughter of the Kaiser, you say in your most measured possible voice.

Nah, he replies, she came along willingly. Or, to be exact, sought passage on his cool boat after a daring escape from the Black Gold Palace. There was a wedding arrangement that was not at all to her liking and she has a very complicated relationship with her mother. And a good head for evading security for a 15-year-old girl. Don't worry, they put her in a safehouse for now and have no less than five operatives watching her at all times.

A) Do the words 'political shitstorm' mean anything to you, Bukhar? Bloody well return her to Vesperlund at once!
B) Can't look a gift princess in the mouth is what my mystery-keeper always said. Pack the bloodletting tools! We'll be going to Hell before the year is done!
C) Consult the Queen about the foreign princess in your possession, this is way the hell out of your current paygrade.
D) Have Kalja discreetly make friends with Princess Annika. Turning a member of a royal family into an intelligence asset is a spymaster's wet dream!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 12:09:29 pm by Harry Baldman »

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 19, 2017, 01:54:53 pm »

B

I bet the king sends level 20 adventurers after us.

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 19, 2017, 04:06:43 pm »

Hmm. I think both B and D are good but I'll go D just so it has a start.
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 19, 2017, 04:29:24 pm »

D

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 19, 2017, 04:33:40 pm »

B
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 19, 2017, 04:39:13 pm »

D
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 19, 2017, 08:16:45 pm »

You're very strongly tempted to get right down to business. But while you've got the Princess here, why not get to know her a little better? You call for Kalja - she's about to make a very special friend.

256 S.I., Three Weeks Before The New Year

Unsurprisingly they get on quite well, and the safehouse is made as comfortable as the circumstances permit. Princess Annika hasn't had many friends before. It's refreshing to have somebody she can't just order around that isn't the Kaiser! It's the kind of thing she left home for, really. Adventure, you know.

At some point it becomes reasonably clear that the two of you are working toward the same purposes - she'd like to sabotage her mother, you'd like to have the option to sabotage her mother. She'd like to have an adventure, and you're a Spymaster absolutely swimming in intrigue in a fresh, new kingdom! It's like you're, like, really living, you know?

Anyway, it's a lot of nonsense like that, Kalja tells you. She wishes she could rebel to such a scale when she was the Princess' age, the girl has a lot of unresolved issues. Despite this, she's quite open to ideas, mostly of the highly dangerous variety.

A) You do happen to have an epic quest across the myriad planes that desperately needs undertaking before the end of the fiscal year, and she's got just the blood to do it with!
B) How would she like to meet the Queen, now that you've reached an understanding of sorts? You're sure they'd have a lot to talk about, both being young women in very powerful positions.
C) Imagine leading a double life - a Princess of a powerful empire by day, a spy for a foreign government by night! It's the stuff that legends are made of!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 12:09:16 pm by Harry Baldman »

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 19, 2017, 08:21:20 pm »

A

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 19, 2017, 08:24:40 pm »

A
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 19, 2017, 09:37:03 pm »

A I know we should probably tell the Queen... but we are doing for her own good, you know?

Also, compliments on your writing! It is a very enjoyable read, and the character of the spymaster comes across a bit as a magnificent bastard, which are always fun to read about! I'm enjoying discovering more about him and his capabilities, and this world you constructed.
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 20, 2017, 04:55:43 am »

You get an expedition outfitted post-haste and inform Princess Annika that you're going straight to Hell, which she's suspicious about before you add that this is not any kind of metaphor. At that point she is fully on board! The secretar

Congratulations! Spymaster Vaskir Sitar of Ortfast has embarked on an operation!

256 S.I., New Year's Eve

You've arrived in force on Bald Mountain (one of many in the country, though this one is balder than most) and been camping for a good day or so, making preparations for the ritual as the stars align atop the blasted surface of what is really more of a hill. Nevertheless, the place used to host a lot of witches before the local governor ran them off, and it's sufficiently remote for your purposes, as well as defensible if need be. You've put on your most ceremonial outfit, and your operatives stand ready. Princess Annika sits in a chair you've brought, attended by a very nervous-looking physician you brought along.

As the ceremony begins, the first sign you're doing this right comes in the form of clouds twisting about in the night sky like a nascent tornado. You begin to chant the name, and the signal is made to bleed a whole pint from your guest of honor. She winces a little, but seems altogether too excited to protest.

You chant the name, and the ritual grail is brought to you after the bloodletter's done with it - and so it is that by the bell, the book and the candle you petition the Duke of Pride and Longing to tear a path through the cosmos and permit you passage! Haha, shouts Princess Annika over the screaming of reality being literally ripped a new one, this is the best thing ever!

You thrust your hands forward and there is an otherworldly crack of thunder as a seam in reality rips open, parting to reveal a rift around which the dim ritual-light lenses, showing an ominous, beckoning darkness in front of you. Black, distressingly humanoid winged shadows flicker in the sky, circling around in deathly harmony.

Two of your operatives suddenly fall, arrows lodged in their skulls. Three more are about to shout, but the brazier next to them suddenly flares into a fireball, consuming them on the spot. The physician begins to run for his life as an armored figure crashes into another band of operatives, swinging a longsword in a broad arc. And finally, an appropriately black-clad figure steps nonchalantly out of your lookout post, a trail of slit throats left in his wake.

Oh hey, the Princess says, it's the Spymaster! You look at her in surprise. No no, she says, not you, the other one. And his friends from way back, too! Sir Ludovic, is that you? You notice the armored figure swivel his head a little in the Princess' direction.

This is not going according to plan. Most of your minions are dead or incapacitated, and these people don't appear to be in a negotiating mood.

Operatives Remaining: 3/12

A) Take the Princess, run into the hellmouth and dare them to follow as your few remaining minions buy precious seconds of time.
B) Let them have the Princess and run into the hellmouth on your own - her part in this is done. Take your minions instead.
C) Let them have the Princess and sacrifice your few remaining minions to cover your own escape, this has gone irrevocably tits-up.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 12:09:04 pm by Harry Baldman »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 20, 2017, 05:20:28 am »

Well, that went bad, fast.

Seems people kind of forgot that this entire necromancy thing is incredibly evil and all that.

I'm going to go with

A

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 20, 2017, 05:24:20 am »

Well, that went bad, fast.

Seems people kind of forgot that this entire necromancy thing is incredibly evil and all that.

I'm going to go with

A
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 20, 2017, 05:24:39 am »

If you're talking about the Old Ways modifier, what that does mechanically is give you a -1 to 1-3 rolls and a +1 to 4-6 rolls - confidence and faith allow you to press the advantage, but also make it difficult to cut your losses.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 20, 2017, 05:36:04 am »

Nooo, never explain dem modifiers!

Otherwise they gonna number their way to victory! :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 44