Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rogue block won't move  (Read 539 times)

Nobak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rogue block won't move
« on: May 13, 2017, 09:49:02 am »

I guess this is a common issue, but I think I've gone through a few similar topics and checked the suggestions I've found there and still can't figure out what's wrong. I figure it has to be something stupid, but here goes:

I built a floor somewhere, then I removed some of the tiles because I wanted holes for a pump stack and walls next to them. Some of the blocks got hauled away, but one stayed stuck on a tile (which was also designated for deconstructing) where I need a wall. It is lying on a floor and below another floor, but is on the same z-level as most of the surface. It does not get hauled, it is not counted when I try to build floors or walls, but is counted in the stocks screen. It also gets ignored when I mark it for dumping as well. I have haulers available, the block is not forbidden, my dwarves are set to gather from outside, and I do have a zone for dumping garbage.

On a possibly related note, a caravan left some junk on the surface that behaves in the same way. The only thing I can add is that the metal items I unforbade and marked for melting *did* get molten, which I find interesting because the other items do not get hauled or dumped.

In both cases, I've tried to claim and forbid a few times to try and jog the game into gear, but nothing's happening. I've also reloaded the game several times since this happened. I don't care much about the caravan items, but the block is in my way. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Nobak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue block won't move
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 11:03:38 am »

Aaaand of course, after days of staying there, the block disappears as soon as I post.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 08:07:39 pm »

If the block was not counted when you try to build walls or floors, then it was already assigned for another task. Probably not a hauling task since that would have happened quickly, but something like a bridge or workshop construction that required a certain labor, and all the guys with that labor were busy, so the job took a while.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Nobak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 08:42:24 pm »

That could be, but it lasted for in-game years and I don't remember ordering anything but walls and floors with microcline blocks. It also didn't have a J next to it, but maybe that only appears when someone actually picks it up to use for a job?

I tried playing around with cancelling and restoring the deconstruct designation of the floor it was on when I posted. I wonder if that may have helped.