Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do you kill that which is unkillable?  (Read 2763 times)

Alpha Loves You

• Bay Watcher
  • I've marked a border
    • View Profile
How do you kill that which is unkillable?
« on: May 12, 2017, 05:37:36 pm »

So, I got attacked by a necromancer and his 40 zombies, you know, normal stuff.
I managed to kill them all except 4 undead humans with full steel armour and an undead advark head that won't die no matter how many times it's hit, even though it's brain is gone.
How do I kill these guys and lift my siege?

knedl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do you kill that which is unkillable?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 05:43:41 pm »

If nothing else works you can bunker inside and wait them out. I was sieged in the first year and had no chance to win so I closed the gates and it took a year and one seasson for them to leave. Never got attacked again and now I am ready for any siege :(

Snafu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 05:47:58 pm »

@Alpha: which version are you playing? 43.05 fixed some 'unkillable undead parts' bugs..

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 06:10:22 pm »

Steel armored and presumably steel armed undead, are horrible and probably can kill many of your trained and armored dwarfs in a stand-up fight. The best option would be to lure them into cage traps or trap them in a corridor (locking doors or raising bridges), then leave them to be dealt with later. Caging them should raise the siege, trapping them in a hallway might not.

The aadvark head is probably the "unkillable small head" bug where every hit glances off. Cage it or kill it with a DFHack command. That is
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 06:30:34 pm »

..."exterminate him/her".

Alpha Loves You

• Bay Watcher
  • I've marked a border
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 06:33:51 pm »

If nothing else works you can bunker inside and wait them out. I was sieged in the first year and had no chance to win so I closed the gates and it took a year and one seasson for them to leave. Never got attacked again and now I am ready for any siege :(
The problem is that for some reason, these 4 undead won't stop bashing the aardvark head, even when we fight them they won't stop. So they won't leave.
@Alpha: which version are you playing? 43.05 fixed some 'unkillable undead parts' bugs..
43.05, which is worrying
Steel armored and presumably steel armed undead, are horrible and probably can kill many of your trained and armored dwarfs in a stand-up fight. The best option would be to lure them into cage traps or trap them in a corridor (locking doors or raising bridges), then leave them to be dealt with later. Caging them should raise the siege, trapping them in a hallway might not.

The aadvark head is probably the "unkillable small head" bug where every hit glances off. Cage it or kill it with a DFHack command. That is
Same as above, the undead won't move due to trying to kill the unkillable head. I'll give DFhack a try though

Snafu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 08:26:38 pm »

BTW what weps are being used on the head? (atom)mashing weps are the only useful ones vs undead IIRC; if the fighters are using edged/pointy weps they won't do much even if they hit..

Ofc, there's always magma ;)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 11:58:02 pm »

As Patrik indicated above, use DFhack's exterminate command on the offending exmortal.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

knedl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 02:25:21 am »

I used exterminate because there was one undead stuck underwater in a pond outside my fort while the rest of the army left the map and therefore the siege was not lifter and most likely never would be. Just select the unit/place cursor above the unit and type "exterminate it" and you are done. You must have DFHack for it.

fucduck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 11:45:10 am »

« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 09:26:53 am by fucduck »

Montieth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 11:47:56 am »

A good defense strategy should include a long entry hall thats covered by ballistas.  With the ability to fure down with crossbows and fire across with ballistas most attackers are easy prey for a partially trained set of long beards with axes and hammers. Add in a fully trained set of hammer and axe lords, nothing stands a chance. I have to put the occasional set of traps to try to catch the useful dragons and other mega beasts that may show up.

The biggest challenge is getting all the workers inside before the ballista is set to fire rods of dismemeberment down the hall.
*“Under the Mountain dark and tall The King has come unto his hall! His foe is dead, the Worm of Dread, And ever so his foes shall fall.
*The sword is sharp, the spear is long, The arrow swift, the Gate is strong; The heart is bold that looks on gold; The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.
*The dwarves of yore made mighty spells, While hammers fells like ringing bells In places deep, where dark things sleep, In hollow halls beneath the fells.
-from The Hobbit (Dwarves Battle Song)”

Alpha Loves You

• Bay Watcher
  • I've marked a border
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2017, 02:47:28 pm »

Ok fam, now I need your help again.
How do I use DFhack?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2017, 05:01:03 pm »

Ok fam, now I need your help again.
How do I use DFhack?
It depends on your starting point. If you're using the Lazy Newb Pack DFHack provides a console window that starts together with DF when you launch DF from the launcher, unless you have disabled DFHack from the launcher UI. To use DFHack commands you bring the DFHack console window to the foreground and type the appropriate command.
If you're playing vanilla you need to download DFHack http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164123.0 and install it first, and I assume there are instructions for that.

Alpha Loves You

• Bay Watcher
  • I've marked a border
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2017, 05:43:17 pm »

It worked
Thank you all so much for helping me cheat my way through the unwinnable game  :)