Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: An Exercise in Asinine Violence [Announcement/Conclusion]  (Read 6281 times)

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I want to test out some new mechanics, and practicing writing some good ole' fashioned fight scenes, so this is the result.

For now, there is no objective beyond fighting and surviving. For each kill you "Level Up" and gain an ability of your choosing, per my discretion. This can be a standard Fireball Spell or a Super Jump or Mind Reading, whatever you want. For each Level Up, you can upgrade an existing ability or gain a new one.

When you kill someone, you gain Half of their Levels. When you die and respawn, you start at half of your Level at death, rounding down. You will lose half of your total ability points at random, so if you respawn after dying at Level 6, you come back at Level 3 with 3 total Ability Points.

Standard D10 used for rolls. You can attack up to twice per turn, so long as someone is in your range. (Attacking Die and Defending Die Referred to as AD and DD respectively, henceforth.) If AD > DD, the attack is successful, and damage is dealt based upon the difference in the rolls as well as all the other factors in the fight: cover, armor, and so on. If AD < or = to DD, the attack fails. If AD < DD by a margin of 5, the defender  counter attacks. (Ex. AA of 3 vs. DD of 8, Defender counter attacks.) Counter Attacks are not be re-countered.

Surprise Attacks, are possible, in which you PM me something you want to launch unexpectedly the next turn, which remains unannounced until it unfolds the next turn. When you perform a Surprise Attack, you must succeed on a Stealth Roll against an opposing Perception Roll. If you succeed, the Surprise Attack occurs as planned. If the opposing Perception Roll is higher, your opponent gets a free Counter Attack. If both rolls are equal, no Surprise Attack occurs. This is to ensure that Surprise Attacks are powerful, but are not an ability that can be abused, which I have seen plague other arena games.

Numbers next to Status Effect denote how many turns the effect lasts for.

Once the number for Bleed-Out reaches 0, your character dies. The more bleeding wounds a character has, the faster the Bleed-Out process becomes. Several seemingly minor bleeding wounds, for example, can end up becoming a life threatening ailment.

Pain will be another common status effect. It confers harsh general penalties to rolls but usually lasts only one or two turns, outside of severe cases.

Unconscious characters can not roll for Defense, and can only attempt to wake up. They are at the mercy of their attackers until they regain consciousness, and can only hope their assailants are incompetent or get distracted.

Creative fighting is not mandatory, but it is encouraged.

Feedback is also encouraged, and the game will likely evolve over time.

Each fighter spawns in as a regular human in a shirt and pants with one starting item.

NPCs behave similarly to the Players, each having a unique name, inventory, and set of Abilities. NPCs do not have the goal of fighting everyone they see in an attempt to gain Levels, as they do not gain Levels for killing Players or each other. They do have varying personalities, so some might attempt to befriend players, others will tend to themselves, and others will try and stab the Players in the face whether it's for insanity or sport. The Level and Inventory of an NPC is always available, and Kill Absorption rules apply to them. The abilities of NPCs remain hidden until they are activate,d but the Level of their various abilities, as well as their total number of abilities, is always available.

Have fun!

Character Sheet:
Name:
Level: 0

Inventory: Choose one to start with - Switchblade OR Pepper Spray OR Folding Baton
Abilities: (Blank to start with)

Player List:
1. AoshimaMichio - Lalli
2. Sl4cker - A. Bell Adams
3. FallacyofUrist - Timothy
4. NRDL - Nix
5. Strider03 - Cal Ericson
6. TheBiggerFish - Leroy Jenkins
7. Yottawhat - Wily Wilson
8. S34N1C - John Shepard

Waitlist:
1. Greatness942 - Ray McCoy
2. mastahcheese - Chris
3. BlitzDungeoneer - Oldguy McGee
4. ironsnake345 - Cran
5. OceanSoul - Kiln Smash
6. Failbird
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 04:03:49 pm by TCM »
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
Re: An Exercise in Asinine Violence [Minmalist/Test Fighting Game]
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 10:16:31 am »

Name: Lalli
Inventory: Folding Baton.
Abilities: -
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 12:14:54 pm by AoshimaMichio »
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 10:17:37 am »

« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 09:06:27 am by kj1225 »

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 10:20:08 am »

Inventory: Folding Baton, though I would want an axe/hatchet.

There's nothing to stop you from getting one. I wanted to give people starting weapons so they have something a bit more interesting than just hands and feet, especially before people can level up and get cool CQC abilities. I settled on weapons that were practical for low level combat, but weren't optimal either.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Sl4cker

• Bay Watcher
  • clouds are pretty :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 10:22:24 am »

oh shit, a new tcm game

Spoiler: 076-2 (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Empiricist
I mean no one wants dead whales and abortion clinics juxtaposed with each other, but it's just something that happens! Like false vacuum decay!
carrot cakeu

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 10:22:46 am »

Hatchet it is then. Fine traditional Finnish weapon to kill your family and priests in drunken rage.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 10:30:22 am »

Name: Timothy

Inventory: Bolo ((practical, but not optimal, right?))
Abilities:
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 10:44:03 am »

Hatchet it is then. Fine traditional Finnish weapon to kill your family and priests in drunken rage.

Oh I should have clarified you can get one after the game starts, if you can find it. Sorry for the misunderstanding

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2017, 10:57:38 am »

Name:Kiln Smash

Inventory: SwitchBlade
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 12:25:15 pm by OceanSoul »
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Sl4cker

• Bay Watcher
  • clouds are pretty :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2017, 11:26:57 am »

tcm says that while you can get other weapons later your starting items are in fact limited to a switchblade or a baton or pepper spray
Quote from: Empiricist
I mean no one wants dead whales and abortion clinics juxtaposed with each other, but it's just something that happens! Like false vacuum decay!
carrot cakeu

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2017, 12:24:53 pm »

tcm says that while you can get other weapons later your starting items are in fact limited to a switchblade or a baton or pepper spray
Whoops. I'd been ninja'd by the prior post, but I didn't pay attention to it.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2017, 01:05:13 pm »

Name: Nix

Inventory: Switchblade
Abilities:
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Strider03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2017, 01:09:02 pm »

Fun!
Name: Cal Ericson
Level:0

Inventory: Switchblade
Abilities:
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 03:48:41 pm by Strider03 »
Within that world, she was God. But here, outside of it, her name was Yoake o-Shiri. That was unimportant. She was a Godslayer. That too was unimportant. But what was important, was that she had a motherfucking boat.
And by God, was she going to use it.

"But deceleration is for pansies. We're headed for the stars. Bye, Burnsie. Bye, Mission Control. Bye, Sol. See you at heat death" -Blindsight

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2017, 08:03:25 pm »

Name: Leeeeeeeeroy Jenkins!!!!!

Inventory: Folding Baton

CHAAAAAAARGE!!!!!!
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Yottawhat

• Bay Watcher
  • New face, new look.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2017, 09:30:08 pm »

Name: Wily Wilson

Inventory:Pepper Spray
Abilities:
(1) You start forward with determination and certainty. You carry this determination with you right into the gaping crater that opens under your feet. You fall into a pit. The sounds of combat above dim, along with the light from the suns. In the quiet below, you hear some other noises instead.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7