Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trade question.  (Read 841 times)

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trade question.
« on: May 11, 2017, 11:01:41 pm »

I remember being able to easily trade food when merchants came but now I cant ever seem to find food barrels in the trade menu when they arrive. I have loads of flour and no use for it myself yet I cant trade it away.

Has anyone else noticed food does not seem to appear in the trade menu?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
Re: Trade question.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 12:21:02 am »

Nope, but you could try searching in bags. My flour isn't in barrels, it's in the leather bags I had intended for sand a while back and forgot about. Find the name of the flour, then search for it in the trade goods menu I guess, instead of searching for barrels. If you want to sell food in barrels, I recommend making the flour into lavish meals, as prepared meals made with milled foodgoods such as flour sell for a ridiculously high price.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

knedl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 01:24:45 am »

in search when in "g" menu/what to bring to trade depot just type "prepared" and it should give you a list of barrels and jugs that contain prepared meals.

EDIT: then you can also press "v" when selecting barrels and it will show you exactly what is in the specific barrel. Also the barrels/bins etc that contain something have names related to what the content it. Something like birchen food barrel contains food, or wine barrel etc. If there is a product in the bin/barrel it gets a name.

You can also press "v" when you trade with a caravan to see what is in their barrels/bins because some don't show the content. Cheese barrels don't for example and you can "v" them to see how much cheese it contain.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 01:32:43 am by knedl »

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 09:32:18 pm »

I have over 2,000 prepared food and as soon as I get to the "pre" in prepared food my trade item list goes blank.

I wonder if it has something to do with version 0.43.03

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 11:46:47 pm »

I remember being able to easily trade food when merchants came but now I cant ever seem to find food barrels in the trade menu when they arrive. I have loads of flour and no use for it myself yet I cant trade it away.
You have "loads of flour"... That needs to be baked in a kitchen before it is a prepared food. But if it was baked and you still cannot see it when searching for "prepared", then does toggling "Culling on mandates" show the food?
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

YetAnotherLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 02:36:59 am »

Prepared food doesn't get caught by a search for "pre" because those letters aren't actually part of the food item's name. Prepared food means cooked meals, including Biscuits (2 ingredients), Stew (3), and Roasts (4). Search for one of those. Also, as noted, flour is not yet a prepared food.

knedl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 02:42:09 am »

I am playing 43.03 too GenJeFT so that's not the issue. Culling on mandates option is the stuff that's forbidden to trade by your nobility. Press "n" to see what nobles have restricted from selling. If barrels are forbidden and you have all your prepared meals stored in them you have a problem. The solution is to stop storing stuff barrels in create jugs instead, but when it comes to bins being forbidden I tend to have a huge issue with it.

And BTW flour is NOT food. It's just an ingredient for a meal. And second it's stored in bags. Those bags can get stored in barrels. You will never ever find flour if you search meals.

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 09:14:59 am »

Currently my nobles prohibit the export of amulets and that is it.

As for the other sugjestions I have to wait for the next caravan to try that. (oh no the torture... I gotta play more Dwarf Fortress  :o)

By the way, this is not the same fort as my youtube letsplace. Which is nice as that fort does not have an aquifer and this one I am slowly drilling through an aquifer that is 8 layers deep so far and will probably go deeper. I have only been able to make 2 layers of progress a year.

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 10:13:37 am »

I dismantled and rebuilt my trade depot for kicks and that fixed the problem.