Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Paradox Interactive Succession Game World (From CKII to EUIV to Vic2 to HoI4)  (Read 21263 times)

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler: High Chief Duym (click to show/hide)

This is High Chief Duym "The Cleansing Flame" of Slavonia. He is 21 years old, a Slavic Pagan, and rules a feudal realm. Like every other one of Bavaria's neighbors, he is currently waging war on them, in Duym's case for a single county that is directly adjacent to his realm. As Bavaria is being dogpiled by the entire region, the war goes quickly and Slavonia becomes one county larger.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

He then embarks on the largest land-grab of his life, and attacks the King of Avaria in an attempt to subjugate him. The war gets a biut hairy in places--the Avars, who are still tribal, summon a tribal army of 2500 men, which when joined with the King's levies is just enough to defeat Duym's army. Duym takes quick action, calling his cousin, a feudal count, into the war, and hiring mercenaries. The mercenaries are caught a couple of times by the Avars, but what's left turns the tide of the war when combined with the forces of Duym and his cousin.

Now that the Avars no longer rule Avaria, scholars begin referring to it as Pannonia.

After he finishes defeating the last of the three revolts that popped up after he conquered Avaria, King Duym allows a Catholic missionary from the Papacy into his kingdom. Gherardo the Blind quickly goes to work, converting many nobles, including much of Duym's immediate family. Finally, Duym himself converts.

Duym immediately afterwards marries one of his daughters to the Lombard crown prince, removing the Lombard threat and gaining a powerful ally, and then declares war on the Empire of Suvar for a county that lies jutting into Pannonian lands. The war goes horribly, with the combined Pannonian-Lombard army taking such terrible attrition on it's journey that the Suvars defeat them with ease. This sets a pattern for his next two wars--one with Poland is initially successful, but ends in a white peace after the Polish King dies, and an attack on the Duchy of Georgia ends in another comprehensive defeat. Duym spends his time between these attempted landgrabs improving his land, marrying off his many children and fighting in the near-constant Lombard civil wars.

Duym finally manages to turn his fortunes around by attacking Bavaria again for another county, but that war is overshadowed as the Pope declares the First Crusade for Germany, which results in pagan Saxony losing half of it’s territory.

He also secures his dynasty’s control over a Byzantine duchy by marrying it’s ruler, one of his granddaughter, to her cousin, one of his grandsons.

Unfortunately for Duym, that semi-incestuous marriage is the last thing of note he will ever do, as he is mysteriously murdered in March of 917, a half-finished glass of wine still sitting on his desk.

Not the best gameplay on my part, but I had a fun time doing it, and with a bit of luck my dynasty should survive until my next turn.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

Hey Sheb, mind putting up the save for me so I can start work on Kola?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

Sure.

Fucking hell!  Someone tell me there's a way to get rid of zealous really damn fast!  I'm being hit by two holy wars, a subjugation war and a conquest war all at once!

Edit: And on top of that, I only have 450 guys left in my army.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 07:47:29 am by Zanzetkuken The Great »
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Sure.

Fucking hell!  Someone tell me there's a way to get rid of zealous really damn fast!  I'm being hit by two holy wars, a subjugation war and a conquest war all at once!

Grab the scholarship focus? It should give you the choice to get cynic fast enough.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

Sure.

Grab the scholarship focus? It should give you the choice to get cynic fast enough.

I'll try it.  Thank god I have enough money.

Oh by the way, I misspoke earlier.  It's 3 holy wars.  75% of my problems could be solved if my dumbass ruler didn't have zealous.

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile

Yes, true. But GLORIOUS REINDEER GOD is more important than mere survival.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

The Raise of the Lombard in 10th Century Europe
By Sheb v. Sheb, PhD

The Germanic Lombard people migrated in large number from Pannonia to Northern Italy in the second half of the sixth century to fill up the void left by the wars between Franks and Byzantines as well as the devastating plague of 541-542. During the 7th and 8th century the Regnum Langobardorum was little more than a confederation of powerful local Dukes that elected a King from among their number.

This changed at the end of the 8th Century, when Adalgis was forced to flee Italy after Charlemagne has taken his father Desiderius prisoner at the siege of Pavia. The death of Charlemagne let Adalgis return to his throne, but the episode let him adopt the Salic law of the Frank as succession law of Lombardy.*

Under the leadership of Adalgis and his descendants, Lombardy expanded once more within Italy and even started expanding in Africa, in a serie of duke-led war that some historians have nickenamed the "Lombard Crusade", despite the fact that those invasions were not sanctioned by Rome and predate the Crusades by a good century.

This expension was however limited to Africa, and frequent war between the dukes prevented Lombardy from raising to the position its size should have given it. This changed under the rule of Radelchis 'the Able' Ursingi.

This portrait of Radelchis dates from ~916 at the start of the "Lombard Surge"

The first 22 years of Radelchis' rule saw relatively little expansion of the realm. After marrying the daughter of Duym of Pannonia he lost most of his armies helping his new ally on a disastrous attack on Suvar. The Dukes used the opportunity to challenge his rule. It is only by about 916 that the country is finally at peace long enough for Radelchis to start the surge he is known for.

Recent analysis of the Vatican archives show have unearthed trace of correspondance between Radelchis and Pope Marinus showing that Radelchis acted with the consent, if not the support of the Papacy. Radechlis' plan was audacious but simple: the dukes would never agree to the centralizing reforms he wanted in Lombardy. However, if he could be crowned Emperor of the Romans he would have free rein to establish the laws of the new realm. There was an itch however. Being Emperor required the support of the Pope, and the Pope would only crown someone whose realm was big enough to be able to claim leadership over Christendom.

To expand his realm, Radelchis looked north and west, to the war-torn Kingdoms of Germany and Burgundy. His first action was to recruit as bishop Walram Agilolfing, a man of poor piety, but who just happened to be the grandson of the Duke of Allemania. When, the Duke died, Radelchis marched with 10 thousands Lombard to Stuttgard in Würtenberg to install Walram on the throne, making him one of the first of a new breed of rules, the Prince-Bishops.

A map on the alpine region after installing Walram on the throne of Alemannia. As can be seen, most of the land herited by Walram was actually Swiss rather than Alemann.

The duchy of Alemannia that Radelchis brought to the realm was only a shadow of its former self however. Ten years before, an uprising of Lollard heretic had taken over the counties of Ulm, Schwaben and Fürstenberg and unified them in a single, heretic principalty. This provided Radelchis with a golden opportunity however: under the custom of the times, land helb by heretic could be simply seized. Taking over Ulm thus gave Radelchis access to vast amount of land, both for his own use and to enfeoff to new nobles in exchange for service. In this way a clique of nobles, including François Hugonid, Feremund de Transjuranie and Unichis Alachisling ended up swearing fealty to Radalchis. By all comteporary accounts, those nobles didn't stand out by their courage or wisdom, but what they lacked in qualities, they made up in family connections. Soon, supported by Lombard men-at-arms, they would "liberate their rightful domains" of, respectively, Lower Lorraine, Savoy and Genève.

In this way the Kingdom of the Lombard expanded until it commanded the fealty of more lords in Burgundy and Germany than their de jure kings. By early 941, Radelchis was happy enough that the Pope would grant him his crown. It was fated that he never would be Emperor though: as he was crossing the Alps toward Rome, Radelchis died. Despite the obvious political implication of his death, we actually do not know how he died, the chronicler only noting that he "fell asleep, never to wake up".

* Lombardy is gavelkind rather than elective in game, so I made that up to explain it. Adalgis is king at the start date.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

Think you screwed up the resizing of that first image, Sheb.

Minor question, would people mind if I do temporary 'play as' of all the Bohemias to get them renamed to North Bohemia, Central Bohemia, and South Bohemia?

Edit: Change that, there's only two Bohemias.  Rename to Greater Bohemia and Lesser Bohemia?

Edit 2: Sheb, you accidentally gave me the wrong save.  Your character is still alive in it.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 05:42:26 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Yeah, I realised. I gave you the the last autosave instead of my character's last save. It only shave a couple month of play (I died in February), so I propose we ignore it and you go on since you started already.

And sure, go ahead. I wanted to rename Lombardy to Italy myself, but I don't have the renaming DLC ^^. (Because if you're going to claim legitimacy from the Roman Empire, it makes sense to go for the name of the province.) Or even to Regnum Italiae, because I like my latin.

As for the Bohemia, I don't mind either way. 

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

Yeah, I realised. I gave you the the last autosave instead of my character's last save. It only shave a couple month of play (I died in February), so I propose we ignore it and you go on since you started already.

The problem is, there is no guarantee that you would die on the same day.  Hell, using reloading, a guy I needed alive who should have died in one save just didn't in one game I was playing.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Who cares? I'm going to die soonish anyway no?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Edit: If you really want is here the post-death save.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

Who cares? I'm going to die soonish anyway no?

In June with a known murder rather than going out peacefully in your sleep in February.  Not very accurate to the history you wrote, is it?

Edit: If you really want is here the post-death save.

Thank you.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

Oh hey, I found a point where having the save mattered.  One of the counties in my realm is catholic, so by getting ahold of it, I could secretly convert and render the CB invalid.  As a bonus, I have valid reasons to imprison all my vassals.  Reign of terror is a go.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9