Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18

Author Topic: SpamGate: General Grigorian Longwynnfellych of the Australian SGC  (Read 13732 times)

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
Re: SpamGate: General Grigorian Longwynnfellych of the Australian SGC
« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2017, 03:53:30 pm »

NO MAN LEFT BEHIND
C
+1, B didn't work the first time we tried

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 13, 2017, 04:10:47 pm »

NO MAN LEFT BEHIND
C

Can't help but think that exploding skyscraper in middle of Brisbane with winged aliens fighting secret agents will generate lotsa media buzz.

Still, C!
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 13, 2017, 04:30:08 pm »

Routine spontaneous office explosion.
Nothing to see here, citizen. Ignore the plasma scorch marks.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 13, 2017, 09:57:04 pm »

You give the lieutenant the go-ahead and shut the gate down. You also hit the big red 'shit-has-gone-down' button that summons SGC security into the gate room.

The gate reopens moments after you shut it down, and a hail of energy blasts immediately strike through the wormhole. The scattered blasts strike soldiers still getting into position to defend the gate, killing several and generating impotent panic fire that is immediately eaten by the incoming wormhole.

A half dozen small, circular devices follow on the heels of the energy blasts, clattering into the gate room. Your soldiers have time to look panicked before the spheres explode into white light and shrapnel. No one is left standing. Or breathing.

A minute passes. Then five. Then ten. Then things start coming through the gate. Red, wet things, about the size and shape of large apples.

Two dozen human hearts, one for every soldier you sent on the rescue mission.

You're not sure you can think of a way that could have gone worse, and yet now you have to deal with the aftermath.

Pick two options to prioritize:
A- Get your brand new material scientist over here to try and analyze the alien weapon damage and try and come up with a defense.
B- Start working on a report that doesn't make this sound like an unmitigated failure for which you deserve to be castrated with a spoon.
C- Shift money into fortifying the gate room so that there are automated defenses that target incoming threats, instead of scrambling soldiers.
D- Accelerate your reserves training and clearance program to move some of your available manpower to security forces.
E- Shift money to purchasing more advanced weapons systems for your men.
F- Get scientists working analyzing the fragments left behind by the alien grenades.
G- Start putting together a second rescue mission. You don't know the original group is dead.

EDITED TO ADD AN OPTION G.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 10:03:03 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 13, 2017, 11:25:13 pm »

A, C
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 11:37:16 pm by ZBridges »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 14, 2017, 02:35:13 am »

Yeah, we want armor and defense. We should also leverage our lame robotics specialty in the scientist.
Hopefully we don't lose the option to go back there, but there are better things to do at the moment.

A, C
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 14, 2017, 03:41:06 am »

Well, at least they're polite about being territorial, no counterinvasion or anything.

... yet.

A, C

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 14, 2017, 03:56:49 am »

C, F

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2017, 05:13:02 am »

A, C from me.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
SigFlags!
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2017, 09:43:17 am »

((Y'knooow, I'm betting my knowledge of Draig's love of his story/history and lore, them hearts in a sci-fi Aztec Empire really makes me wonder if the translation team actually worked but we had gone to the 'extreme' protocol bits and sent in armed forces which triggers a O_o DEFEND moment, and the translation team could not contact us because of inhibitors.

That and those are our hearts. :P Pulled straight out of our soldiers, demoralized, and then killed. Also the light rays are total energy sources. :P And I'm being silly))

A, C.

Although "G" can actually be a planned move instead of 'this option only appears now' >_> Literally most of these can.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 14, 2017, 10:15:35 am »

Pulled straight out of our soldiers, demoralized, and then killed.

I just pictured this in that exact order. Goodness :D
SigFlags!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 14, 2017, 10:37:25 am »

Maybe they all got turned into liches, is all.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 14, 2017, 11:54:38 am »

It's almost impressive how bad the rolls were there. Anyways, A, F
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 14, 2017, 01:55:58 pm »

Ax7
Cx7
Fx2

After you get the bodies (and bits of bodies) cleaned out of the control room you order Dr. North to get cracking on trying to analyze the damage the alien energy weapons did to concrete and kevlar in order to come up with a material that can hopefully be slightly more effective than wet tissue paper.

You also purchase several high caliber automatic turrets in order to provide saturation fire on the gate if needed, and a pair of precision turrets mounted into the ceiling that should allow for more precise support of retreating troops.

Cleanup goes as well as expected, and the fortifications are begun quickly. Dr. North is initially skeptical of being asked to design armor to stop a weapon that he's never seen, and for which he has only blast impacts and wounds to provide clues as to its process. However, he seems quite intrigued by the project and, after a few days of looking over burned kevlar, blasted concrete, and melted armor plates, heads off to his lab muttering something about shaped plasma toroids.

Hopefully he'll come up with something soon.

Mid-August, 2017

6,5*

Your receive good news from both Dr. North and from the research site on P-4Y-J886. The scientists on P-4Y-J886 are now certain the alien device a sub-surface surveying tool. The lead has achieved some limited success in using the machine to provide scan information, and has been able to successfully shut down and restart the device. He's still puzzled by exactly how it's capable of generating such an enormously powerful signal over a sustained period of time, and he's not sure exactly what the device is detecting. He has scan information which appear to reveal large deposits of... something, but he's tested dozens of ores, crystals, and other compounds naturally occurring on earth. To that end, he'd like additional funding to deploy a mining rig and sample one of the scanned deposits.

Dr. North, meanwhile, has a prototype ceramic plate, quite similar the ones worn by infantry. The early prototype has significantly less ability to stop small arms far than a normal armor insert, but, if Dr. North is correct, has the potential to absorb multiple energy blasts of the type that killed the rescue mission and some of the men in the gate room. He believes the alien weapon acts similar to a modern PEP weapon, but instead of firing a laser, it launches some manner of plasma toroid. This toroid hits the target and rolls into it, dispensing its energy as a focused spear, instead of modern PEP weapons which release it all in a single burst. In essence, it's a plasma shaped charge. The ceramic plate is designed to disrupt the plasma geometry and cause the entire blast to collapse immediately. The resulting impact will definitely knock the wearer on their ass, but should be capable of stopping two to four direct hits before failing.

It's with a heavy heart that you realize your four month report to the board of directors is at the end of next month. They'll want results.

As for P-4Y-J886...
A- Get the mining rig out there as soon as possible.
B- Break down the research base and tow the artifact back to the SGC.
C- Tow the artifact back to the SGC, but begin mining using the scan data extracted so far.

As for the Armor...
A- Make it the mandatory insert for the armor of all SG teams and get Dr. North to immediately work on production for infantry.
B- Get Dr. North to work on upscaled plating for the Hawkei vehicles.
C- Push to only create enough armor to outfit a second team to go back to the Aztec planet.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18