Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18

Author Topic: SpamGate: General Grigorian Longwynnfellych of the Australian SGC  (Read 13735 times)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: SpamGate: General Grigorian Longwynnfellych of the Australian SGC
« Reply #150 on: May 16, 2017, 10:24:15 am »

2 Funding, 1 Strength
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 16, 2017, 11:32:06 am »

Funding x6
Strength x5
Staffing x4
(To explain how I'm doing picks with a three vote split: I give one point of the highest voted resource, then reduce that resource's vote score by 3 and look for the next highest. Rinse+repeat.)

At the end of negotiations you end up getting minor support for nearly all program aspects. Considering the losses you've suffered in the last four months, it's all needed.

Staffing: 4
Approval: 3
Tech: 3
Funding: 4
Strength: 3

The meeting concludes reasonably well. You're still in command, and the requests on you are relatively lax. In the next four months you need to...

1. Make significant progress on the Aztec situation on P-7K-S005. Strong undercurrent of vengeance.
2. Do any research you need to do on the scanning artifact from P-4Y-J886 and return at the next meeting, or present significant evidence for why it should remain in your custody.

After the meeting is over and the council members leave, you're left with a few administrative decisions. You need to reassess your mission priorities, reassign Dr. North (and inform him of the formalizing of Brucinite), and maybe get a start on planning the mission to P-7K-S005. Busy, busy, busy!

As for the Stargate mission priorities...
A- Re-focus on exploration that seems likely to find intelligent life.
B- Continue working on exploration that seems likely to find advanced technology.
C- Re-focus on exploration that seems likely to find material resources.

As for the Dr. North  (Generic brand scientists will work slowly on projects not assigned to Dr. North)
A- Task him with the bulk of the work on the alien sub-surface scanner.
B- Get him back to his work on Hawkei vehicle armor.
C- Keep him working on practical applications and refinement of Brucinite.

As for P-7K-S005
A- Send unmanned vehicles through the gate to do local area recon, followed by scouts.
B- Place a requisition order for better anti-infantry weapons.
C- Wait a while. You don't need to do anything right now.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 16, 2017, 11:37:35 am »

BBA

We should get tech to actually be able to stand against the Aztec guys.

Vehicle armor should be a priority since it's within Bruce's specialty and is probably the easiest + quickest thing. I also want to make infantry armor for this stuff but that probably needs the vehicle armor done first.

And finally, assuming the planet S005 is the Aztec one, let's actually do some recon. Much like I predicted, not doing it got our men eaten sacrificed.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 16, 2017, 11:43:26 am »

As a point, SAPI plate variants for infantry were the first thing you had Dr. North work on, and you have prototype plates available for use.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 16, 2017, 12:17:06 pm »

CCA

Finding advanced tech means finding civilizations that use tech that outclasses ours. It is a very risky prospect, and we don't want another disaster on our hands.

On the other side, our science guy is a materials science guy. Let's find him some more materials to work with. We need things to bring back and give our superiors, and things to better our own organization so that we can effectively deal with high tech situations when we find them.

Also, we have learned the value of recon.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 16, 2017, 01:21:41 pm »

BBA
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 16, 2017, 03:20:58 pm »

B, B, A

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 16, 2017, 03:28:35 pm »

B,B,A
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 16, 2017, 04:42:36 pm »

You issue a stream of orders as soon as you get out of the meeting. Dr. North is sent back to designing vehicle armor, SG teams are tasked to continue searching for advanced technology, and scouts are sent back to planet Aztec.

Mid-September

Ore mining on P-4Y-J886 has nearly ground to a halt. Apparently they've been able to steadily improve their ability to interpret the geological scans provided by the device, which sounds nice until you get into the problem with mining purer Brucinite. Thermal friction from the drill bit activated a Brucinite vein, and the resulting explosion killed a crew of workers, destroyed a mining rig, and greatly slowed efforts reinforce the camp. The camp boss says he'll have it cleared up by the end of the month, and mining will resume at slower speeds with cooled drillheads.

3*

Dr. North reports that he's 'close' to getting the kinks with the vehicle armor worked out, though he still adamantly refuses to give you a timeline on the project. Another of his lab assistants has been admitted to the infirmary for minor lacerations due to an exploding armor panel.

The only thing that brightens your day is a scouting report from P-7K-S005. A pair of teams had managed to get boots on the ground without being shot, and have managed to confirm that not all of the original translation team were killed.

The civilization on P-7K-S005 is, as originally seen, very close to that ancient Aztec society- with a rather pronounced social divide. Every single caste but the warriors, all of which wear armor modeled in a eagle motif (which your staff members postulate is strongly related to these fellows ), wear simple clothes of handspun cloth, sleep in simple homes, and generally lead lives comparable to those at or slightly below the technology level of the Aztecs of Earth. Your scout mentions 'slightly below' due to the fact that he has been unable to find any evidence of a written language, and he searched hovels for some time searching for anything to send back to the base for translation.

Extensive observation have shown that the typical citizen is involved in one of three labors: mining, farming, and beautification. The miners have a massive quarry to the southeast, and typically carry covered shipments of stone back into the Ziggurat once per day. Scouts never report seeing material leave the Ziggurat. The farmers toil as farmers do, but your scouts report that they seem to be preparing for a massive feast of some variety in the coming weeks. It's the last class that dumbfounds your scouts the most. A very small percentage of the citizens (both male and female) spend all day exercising, applying ointments to their skin, taking care of their teeth, and painting elaborate designs on one another under shaded pavilions. At the end of each day a warrior with gilded wings of articulated metal inspects them. Most days he simply sends them back to their homes, but twice your scouts have witness the warrior pulling a citizen forward and bludgeoning them brutally. Thereafter, the disfigured citizen works in the mine or with with the farmers.

The warrior cast, however, are rather fearsomely technologically advanced but seemingly few in number. As their helmets cover their faces, and only a few are present at a time, your scouts have had considerable difficulty in getting an accurate count of their numbers. There seem to be two captains who wear gilded and jeweled armor, with full articulated wings emerging from their backs, and perhaps a dozen lesser soldiers with short wings and no gilding. The soldiers send nearly all their time in the Ziggurat or watching the miners in shifts. Their weapons appear to be heavy staves, weighted on one end as a club, and possessing some form of energy blaster built into the other. Your scouts have witnessed them using both on citizens.

Three members of the security detail assigned to the translation team have been collared and chained out front of the Ziggurat, stripped down to loincloths. There are bowls for food, water, and waste, but there is no shelter. All three show signs of severe sunburn.

Your scouts have also detected a group of citizens that meet at night, seemingly in secret, at the edge of the city. Observing these meetings would require a certain risk, and the Scout leader deemed it necessary to request further orders before attempting to get closer.

A- Give the go ahead to investigate the secret meetings.
B- Ask one of your scouts to acquire some native clothing and get close enough to tell your captured men that you're coming, and to hang in there.
C- A and B.
D- Tell your scouts to hang back and continue to observe from a safe distance.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 09:53:39 am by Draignean »
---

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 16, 2017, 05:20:01 pm »

A

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 16, 2017, 05:22:11 pm »

It definitely feels like the survivors won't last forever. I think they'll probably die eventually from either exposure or being sacrificed; for all we know they could just be waiting to get sacrificed. We almost definitely can wait a bit (worst case scenario 1 of them dies) but we should act soon.
Just noting that.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 16, 2017, 05:59:36 pm »

A

We will get them, but no reason to tell them. They are the translation team. They might end up passing that information along to their captors.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 16, 2017, 08:16:11 pm »

2 in Staffing and 1 in Funding is mine. Reasoning is gears must be well oiled for better productivity overall, and our strength, as I assume, is on an offensive basis rather than a defensive. We can up that in the next years anyway but I don't see any use for it at the moment unless we conduct battle.
+1
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 16, 2017, 09:48:34 pm »

A Get prepared for creating a little "religious intolerance"
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 10:54:56 pm by omada »
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 16, 2017, 11:49:36 pm »

Love you too, S34N1C :)

A
Hooray for assuming the translation team lived \o/

It definitely feels like the survivors won't last forever. I think they'll probably die eventually from either exposure or being sacrificed; for all we know they could just be waiting to get sacrificed. We almost definitely can wait a bit (worst case scenario 1 of them dies) but we should act soon.
Just noting that.
I fully agree. This was one impression I've had in mind too--we should really prep up a team, and I've been leaning on "B" for a good time before writing "A" because we can glean a lot more info from B, although...it may be very obvious unless we either roll good or our agent is good.

Also betting due to reading Aztec culture that they're the 'crowning' bits of the party.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 12:12:24 am by Tiruin »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18