Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: VISITOR'S BOOK: It's safer inside  (Read 1303 times)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
VISITOR'S BOOK: It's safer inside
« on: May 08, 2017, 01:36:10 pm »

VISITOR'S BOOK: It's safer inside

Group of people wake up in dark room. Some on simple beds, others on the floor. They have no memories of how they arrived here, but this clearly isn't where they are supposed to be.

Little ambient light shining between planks covering windows reveals the room is very simple and bare; it's basically a long hallway with beds lined on both sides, some simple and empty shelves inbetween beds. One wall has protruding red brick wall covering almost half of the room's length. It's warm. Rest of the walls are apparently made of big logs carved into square shape. Walls are grayed by time and soot.

Windows are in both ends of the room, that's on the shortest walls, and have two large levers on both sides. You peek carefully between planks covering the window, you could see a healthy field of grass on outside and dense forest of very tall and large trees, pines it looks like. Next to the brick wall is a door.

Slightly unusual place to wake up, one would say.

The Game

Welcome to the Visitor's Book, a game about survival and escape, perhaps a bit of horror. I threw this togeter over course of two days, so I'm not sure how well I can pull this off, but then again so were all my best games. Let's see what happens. In the beginning I start things off slow so you can do some RP, and once you all have basic gist of where you are and what you got I'll accelerate things a bit, hopefully to point where single in-game day can be passed in 4 turns or so.

The place characters wake up is not where they want to be, nor do they remember how they got there. Only thing connecting them is that they were traveling, in or near woods. Your goal is to get back to civilization, alive and healthy if possible, but do not think for a second that's going to be as easy as walking out. There's reason for the title of this game. I foresee lots of deaths in first days, even total party kills if you are careless. So don't get too attached to your first characters.

Mechanics

Within the house and perhaps in its immediate vicinity I don't roll for anything. If your character can cook, then they can make food without me doing anything as long as you have ingredients. If your character is skilled martial artist you can be sure they can wipe floor with all others, within reason of course. You can even roleplay such conflicts without me doing anything. Unless you want to leave result of such conflicts for me to decide. That's fine too.

Rolls come into play when things get dangerous, but I'll cover those when they come relevant, like some other mechanics. I see no reason to fill first post with rules needlessly.

To sum it up, this is largely freeform rpg.

Character sheet

Name: Any legally acceptable name from anywhere in the world.
Description: Say few words how your character looks like. All characters start with only their clothes, so don't go descibing your personal armory.
Bio: Some personal background perhaps, may be actually used for something. One limit is that you are from modern age. And like said earlier, you were traveling near or in woods, either by car, bike, or foot, it makes no difference.

The Book

Lee Archer.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 11:02:48 pm by AoshimaMichio »
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
Re: VISITOR'S BOOK: It's safer inside
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 02:45:52 pm »

Spoiler: is this Sheet Valid? (click to show/hide)
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 02:54:02 pm »

How much magic/high technology is present in this setting?

Name: Lea V. Annei
Description: Fair white skin, blonde hair with a dyed green streak, ivy green eyes, green t-shirt, tan shorts, purplish backpack stocked with...apparently nothing for now.
Bio: Born in the Maine wilderness, she's spent most of her life intrigued by unpopular beliefs and mythologies, from the Wiccan ways of life to the old Roman pantheon of gods. She particularly likes fortune telling with Tarot cards, which have proven to be correct more often than not. Her parents were great cooks, partially because her father ran a restaurant, so it's only logical that she'd inherit some of their talent.
One summer, she felt that she had lost touch with her inner self, or something like that; it's hard for her to describe. So, she saved up some money, packed her bags, and took a trip around the country, by foot, bus, or the like, all together understand herself. She does fortune telling wherever she stops for extra money, and records her experiences in an online blog she's sure no one reads.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 10:48:49 pm »

If you can play that, then I have no problems with it. Though I do have one question: how come he's not locked in any mental institution?

How much magic/high technology is present in this setting?

It's a modern realm, so any and all technology you are familiar from IRL exists, but the dark bedroom displays none of it. And magic... Well, certain forces beyond ken of men do exist I believe, but as it is IRL, only few believes it and even fewer is correct. Minor trick like card reading might be passable.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Mardent23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 12:35:42 am »

Name: Lee Archer
 Description: A tall, olive skinned young man, with brown eyes. Is currently wearing a grey hoody(covering his hair), a pair of blue jeans, and a leather messenger bag, containing a notebook and a pen

Bio: An Atlantan, Lee is an accomplished zoologist, botanist, and anthropologist. He knows  some first aid, but had long abandoned   medicine in favor of the natural world, humans and all.   Lee had left  in order to  learn more about   the life in the wilderness.   There may still be things out there that need discovering, and Lee feels obligated to categorize them all.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 07:55:31 am »

If you can play that, then I have no problems with it. Though I do have one question: how come he's not locked in any mental institution?
Its Quite Simple, They haven't managed to catch him, Do to significant error in how sane they believe he is, and him putting up with a hell of a lot more then any Modern man would in being not caught out in the open.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 08:29:23 am »

Slightly questionable, but whatever. It hardly makes difference at this point, nobody is gonna catch you here...

So Leonidas, Lea and Lee. You three wake up in previously descibed dark room. And as said, it's a beautiful day outside. Birds are singing, flowers are blooming. Perfect day to be kidnapped. Whatever got you here thankfully forgot to tie you up.
Old sigs.
Games.

Mardent23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 09:26:37 am »

"Well,  this is a fine situation. Alright,  who are you guys?"  Lee begins to look  around the room,  including under the beds.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 03:23:28 pm by Mardent23 »

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 03:20:42 pm »

"Ya-aaAAaawn...Huh. Don't remember falling asleep here. Wherever here is, at least. What's the last thing you guys remember?"

What's the last thing I remember? Look around the room, see if there are any compartments, like under the floorboards, etc., that may have stuff hiding in them.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 04:07:51 pm »

"Well,  this is a fine situation. Alright,  who are you guys?"  Lee begins to look  around the room,  including under the beds.

You kneel down and check under each bed, but only thing there is dust and not much of that either. The place is recently cleaned, though not thoroughly. Shelves are empty, rugs are simple, and beds only have sheets and a pillows.

"Ya-aaAAaawn...Huh. Don't remember falling asleep here. Wherever here is, at least. What's the last thing you guys remember?"

What's the last thing I remember? Look around the room, see if there are any compartments, like under the floorboards, etc., that may have stuff hiding in them.

Walking upright by forest and then instant transition to laying on bed with no downtime in between, that's extent of your memories. This smells like supernatural to you.

You join the other guy checking under things. You find that floor boards next to window walls do not seem to be nailed down and moves very little when you push it but coving keeps it firmly in place. You would need some tools to get it out. But then again it's dark here so you could have missed something. In general, there isn't anything useful besides empty shelves, beds and simple rugs on floor.
Old sigs.
Games.

Mardent23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 04:12:07 pm »

" I had been  cataloging  forest insect life. What about you?"

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2017, 04:13:05 pm »

"Walking nearby you".Peek around the corner of the doorframe, looking into the next room. Do I hear anything? Open the door, and walk in, ready for an ambush.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2017, 05:18:56 pm »

Name: Harokem
Description: A (seemingly) always-calm monk. Occasionally spouts fortune cookie-esque wisdom so that he looks wise.
Bio: Harokem is a member of the Order of the Open Hand, a group of monks that are dedicated to helping others as much as possible while only using for themselves what is necessary to survive. They tend to spend a lot of time in nature, doing meditation and fasting and such.

Harokem's eyes open wide. Is this his ascension?

Aw, it's only reality. This is still really strange, though.

Pull a lever.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 05:31:35 pm by ATHATH »
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2017, 02:01:24 pm »

Harokem steps to the closest window and studies the levers a moment. They are both wooden, large and pulled all the way down. Their purpose is unknown, but there exists only one way to figure out! And that's boldly trying them. He tries to pull one up, but it doesn't move more that three millimeters perhaps. Without wasting more time with it, he tries the other one. This one he can pull all the way up without any problems. He moves it up and down a few times, but since nothing apparent happens, he leaves it up and tries the first lever again.

This time it moves, with little resistance. And wood planks covering the window moves together with the lever. It appears it's not mere planks covering the window, but actually rather sturdy looking wooden lid. It swings out as he moves the lever. Now that proper sunlight floods the room, he can make out a few more details. The walls of this house seem to be very thick, about as thick as grown man's forearm is long. The window cover panel is reinforced with iron bands, making it very heavy looking and very well protected. The other level appears to be controlling of simple lock, a couple of iron hooks that will secure the cover firmly in place.

Looking outside it seems there aren't much there besides some 30 meters of short grass before incredibly dense forest starts. Pines are very tall, reaching easily height 40 meters, foliage so dense it leaves everything below in permanent shadow. On the very edge grows occasional bush of young willows. Together with shadows and densely packed pines it is very difficult to see more than a few meters into the forest. And as he peeks around, it seems like there's a small stone structure in the direction of the sun. A well, perhaps?

Lea on the other hand sneaks to the door, presses her ears against it and listens carefully. Nothing. All she can hear is her own heart and noises the other dudes in the same room makes. She carefully opens it, but she can't see anything. It's dark there. However, since that one guy lets light in, it's probably too late to worry about being noticed so she pulls the door wide open and steps in. With the backlight she can make out few important details.

Next to the door, taking up entire corner, is a hand loom. A real old fashioned hand loom (actually, even room walls look like in the picture). A wooden box with some rolls of yarn and long cloth strips of various colors, right in grabbing distance for any aspiring cloth weaver. On the other side of the door is a big fireplace. It too takes an entire corner for itself. The floor around it is covered with wide brass plate, clearly intended to catch any stray sparks flying off. At the moment, there's no fire, but if Lea squints her eyes carefully, she thinks she can see some faint embers. Near it is another wooden box, filled with firewood.

In the opposite corner lays a large hexagonal table, nearly one and a half meters wide. Looking closer it seems like it is made of a single piece of wood. One could easily count multiple decades the three spent growing before it was repurposed as a neat table. However, most of the rings are hidden by a leather bound book. It doesn't have much decorations beyond embossed title "VISITOR'S BOOK". In addition of the book, there's six old fashioned oil lanterns resting on the table. On each side of the table are large padded chairs, the kind that would be really nice for napping.

In addition to that there are some some tapestries hanging from the walls, mounted moose skull and a few shelves. One door leads what's probably a kitchen and another, much heavier in appearance and locked with a one thick bar, which clearly is a front door. Everything in this room is old, perhaps from mid 1800, or at least looks like such. All in all, this room has a certain sense of warmth in it. Not that any of you would call this home, but clearly it is somebody's home.

But in stark contrast with all old timey stuff are two very modern, bright red 10 kg CO2 fire extinguishers, both mounted on walls near doors. Those are actually only signs of modern civilization you have seen so far here. If not for those fire extinguishers, you could easily believe you were thrown back in time nearly two centuries.
Old sigs.
Games.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2017, 02:07:26 pm »

"Well, we're visiting this house, whether we wanted to or not, so the book may as well be ours. Perhaps we have amnesia, and our prior selves wrote notes to us, their future selves, knowing they would have amnesia?" Open book, and begin to read it.

Pages: [1] 2