Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 54

Author Topic: Science Thread (and !!SCIENCE!! Thread!)  (Read 87835 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Science Thread (and !!SCIENCE!! Thread!)
« Reply #690 on: April 01, 2021, 07:21:54 pm »

No, there's a wormhole, but in the sense that there is a giant worm eating Uranus and farting out x-rays.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: May 06, 2021, 07:59:49 pm »

Physicists created microscopic 'drums' that play an impossible rythm.
Quantum mechanics in action at a larger scale than thought possible.
Possible implications: Analog mechanical quantum computing

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/372/6542/625

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/372/6542/570

https://www.volkskrant.nl/wetenschap/minitrommels-in-het-lab-slaan-onmogelijk-ritme-en-dat-verandert-het-beeld-over-de-grenzen-van-onze-wereld~b266b7e1/
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 08:01:53 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: May 18, 2021, 06:25:40 am »

The effect of football player transfer movements on abnormal fluctuations in oil price futures

A.K.A. Cowen's Second Law in action.

If it isn't like the "Israeli fighter pilots have a skewed ratio of daughters to sons" thing that's just a blip found after ploughing through data looking for a group that's a blip (or maybe it's a real thing for real reasons after all?), could it be that people who spend serious money on football (soccer, yes?) spend serious money in the oil business/markets and being flush with the cash in one also translates to the other? (Also, transfer seasons (pre- and mid-) are locked to the competitive season, which are locked to the year's seasons and therefore possible cycles of variatble use of fuel oils, so I could imagine this exagerates the lock-step in some way.)

Maybe that's all addressed, but as my "I can't read it" aside grew larger than intended, so my on-topic (if grievously uninformed) waffle also did. ;)

But you're probably right in that it's very much like Rule 34.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: May 19, 2021, 05:15:49 pm »

Here's the full article, hopefully it works for you

It's also authored by a bunch of Kiwis and Aussies, so I'm pretty sure a lot of beer was involved in the writing.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: May 19, 2021, 05:44:03 pm »

Here's the full article, hopefully it works for you
Only read the abstract so far, which had a "your privacy is important to us, say Yes for cookies" overlay that worked as it should (and revisted the upper link to check, and it still goes wrong, but I'm not digging into page-sources on this device!).

Interesting abstract, though. If the hypothesis is true then it may well be that Deep Learning auto-trading systems (and/or insightful human traders) might have established this proposed meta-connection between Sports News pages and upcoming Financial News.

It's also authored by a bunch of Kiwis and Aussies, so I'm pretty sure a lot of beer was involved in the writing.
Or that. I'll dive into the actual PDF when I'm on a better connection.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: May 20, 2021, 02:47:43 am »

« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 02:49:45 am by Jimmy »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: May 20, 2021, 03:38:18 am »

Or, for those that have difficulty with pictures, and also cannot read big walls of text:

A class of chemicals that has been known about for decades, Perfluorocarbons, can be shot up your butt when you are suffocating from acute lung dysfunction, and it will help you keep enough oxygen in your body to survive.

Or:

Oxygen rich enema lets you breathe through your ass.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: May 20, 2021, 11:54:14 am »

Or: how I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: May 20, 2021, 12:02:00 pm »

Well...at least we know.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: May 20, 2021, 03:12:35 pm »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobacco_smoke_enema

(While we're in the ar... ea. Though not sure it should be done simultaneously.)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: May 21, 2021, 02:36:42 am »

But was Kellogg onto something with yogurt enemas?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 02:39:20 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #702 on: May 22, 2021, 04:40:49 am »

Random question I had about lighter-than-air materials/flight -- how would a closed-cell metal foam filled with hydrogen perform? (alt. phrasing: why doesn't it work?) Obviously production would be kind of a mess because you'd need to do it in an inert gas or vacuum environment and that wouldn't be free, and if the cells weren't completely closed it'd be a bit sad, but it seems markedly less hazardous than the usual fair.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: May 22, 2021, 05:45:55 am »

Simple question, complex answer.

Lighter than air machines work, because the total volume of the machine has less mass than the equivalent volume of air.

For most foams (other than an aerogel), the substrate is still heavier than the same volume of air, all on its own. This is why replacing the air in the foam with a lighter than air gas, has no real lifting effect.

Additionally--

Hydrogen is infamously hard to contain, and diffuses through solid materials, by wiggling through the gaps between molecules (since it is so much smaller than other molecules).   As such, an aerogel made with it, would only lift for a very short period of time; the hydrogen would diffuse out of the aerogel, and then it would become heavier than air again.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #704 on: May 22, 2021, 06:46:52 am »

I do know how lighter-than-air flight works :P The answer is actually quite simple as it turns out, as crunching the numbers shows I was just underestimating the actual density of foamed aluminium. Something like a "macrofoam" would probably work but rapidly starts raising other questions.

Pedantic aside: I wouldn't expect an aerogel to be practical, I brought up metal foam specifically because it's less diffusible-through. The whole point of the exercise is to reduce the extent to which you're strapping your gondola to a fuel-air bomb waiting for the air :P

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 54