Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 54

Author Topic: Science Thread (and !!SCIENCE!! Thread!)  (Read 87618 times)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Science Thread (and !!SCIENCE!! Thread!)
« Reply #285 on: November 16, 2018, 11:10:11 am »

Electromagnets to measure the kilogram? It's really polarising the community, I battery stay well out of the ohm conversation.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 16, 2018, 11:11:59 am »

Electromagnets to measure the kilogram? It's really polarising the community, I battery stay well out of the ohm conversation.
Resistance is futile.

Accept the new era of the Kibblegram.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: November 16, 2018, 11:12:49 am »

Resistance is futile.

Better or worse than the Tribblegram?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 16, 2018, 11:27:10 am »

Resistance is futile.

Dont worry, given enough pressure by the IBWM, I am sure that will reach critical mass.  I expect that adoption would be explosive after that.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: November 16, 2018, 04:50:27 pm »

Watt the volt is going on in here?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: November 18, 2018, 08:31:19 pm »

So a Kibblegram is 1024 grams now, is it?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: November 18, 2018, 08:43:56 pm »

That would be a Kig, or kibigram.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: November 18, 2018, 10:01:06 pm »

I decided dogs count in a different base than we do.

Paw, paw, paw, doggie.
Paw, paw, paw, doggies.
Paw, paw, paw, pack!

A kibblegram weighs as much as a pack of doggie treats.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: November 20, 2018, 06:28:48 am »

So there was this exchange in the ameripol w/r to California forest fires vis-a-vis climate change. I promised I'd follow up on it, but then decided not to because I've been having an episode of 'thinking is hard and what's the point of anything'-ism.
But eh, now some article or whatnot reminded me of it, so let me make my points.

Totally forgot the fucking aussie trees, and no, it has little to nothing to do with the climate for a simple reason: warmer climactic periods are LESS arid, sounds crazy but the reason we have large deserts now is because of all the water locked up in various ice caps. Just because the idea seems intuitively fine that hot=arid it doesn't matter if reality disagrees, same with the projections of increased storm intensity/frequency which somehow overlook that storms are driven by the magnitude of the local temperature differences from the equator to the pole, guess what goes down in a warmer planet?
[citations needed]
For what, aridity being higher during glacials? For fucking carnot heat engine efficiency? I thought you knew this stuff man.
This post was there too, for full context:
Spoiler: spoiled for length (click to show/hide)
Now then. If I do know anything, is that simple answers to complex question tend to be red herrings. And probably more importantly, that one should trust certified experts (I ain't one) over one's own insight, because we only ever see Dunning-Kruger in other people.

I don't have a problem with the claim in the first quoted bit that warmer globe = higher average global precipitation. That indeed seems to be the case.

I have a problem with almost everything else in there, because the connections and inferences you're making from that one fact seem to me unjustified, running contrary to what I've been reading.

In broader terms, in that post there are two claims, one about the fires vs humidity, and one from the left field about the storms.
But let's try and break them down into smaller bits:
(...), and no, it has little to nothing to do with the climate for a simple reason (<-1->): warmer climactic periods are LESS arid (<-2), sounds crazy but the reason we have large deserts now is because of all the water locked up in various ice caps (<-3). Just because the idea seems intuitively fine that hot=arid it doesn't matter if reality disagrees (<-true dat), same with the projections of increased storm intensity/frequency (<-4) which somehow overlook that storms are driven by the magnitude of the local temperature differences from the equator to the pole (<-5), guess what goes down in a warmer planet (<-6)?
This is an unjustified connection. It assumes the process at hand (fuel aridity) is driven solely by this one variable (global average precipitation). One would have to substantiate why it's a reasonable thing to assume. From I've read, w/r to the Canadian taiga fires some time ago, increasing temperatures cause increased evapotranspiration that easily exceed gains from increased precipitation. The precipitation would have to increase over 15% per degree Celsius to come out even. So existing forests get drier, even as the air may get more humid. This runs contrary to your claim.
(I think this is where I read it. It references the ABoVExperiment, but I don't know from where exactly.)

This is one of the two claims you decided to focus on in your brief response. But it's nearly the only one I don't have a problem with. It's true and it's easy to confirm that it is so. It's not a problem, that is, as long as one remembers that it's global average humidity. Because if one starts to try and justify something, regardless of its validity otherwise, about local conditions - e.g. about frequency of forest fires in California or some other relatively small region - then one shows a lack of understanding of what average and global means.
So, even if it were true that higher precipitation=lower fuel aridity (and it doesn't appear to be, cf. 1.), one would have to show that this global and average trend governs fuel aridity in California, specifically.
I'm not sure if I really have to explain this further. In spatial terms, what does it matter for desertification (Arizonization?) of California, if Sahara gets all green? Would you tell a farmer in Syria that it's not true his crops don't get enough rain because more precipitation in the Arctic means the globe gets more moist? Same with the temporal dimension - e.g. get a lot more snow in winter, but relatively less rain during whatever is the driest season, and fire risk increases while average precipitation goes up.

This is another odd connection that I don't know on what basis you're making. Why would the water specifically from disappearing ice caps end up watering the deserts? Why would it not just drain to oceans? Why would increasing global humidity be needing this water, instead of just ocean water and higher temperature permitting more water vapour in the air?
The way I understand it, quite a lot of river systems are supplied by seasonal melts of glacial caps in various mountains. Take away those glaciers, and the rivers drain fully or partially. You'll end up with higher global humidity, but with new deserts all the same.
It's again the same issue as with (2) - global warming causes local climate change.

As long as this is about tropical cyclones, and not some other storms, the prediction is not that of increased intensity and frequency. It's that frequency on average goes down, but frequency on the high-intensity end of scale goes up. Less storms overall, but more strong ones.

Are they, though? Are any locally forming storms driven by that? Like, again, how do you make the connection? Even tropical storms don't span the entire globe, and the explanations for how they emerge that I saw don't require a steep temperature gradient between the equator and the poles. What they (again tropical storms, because I think that's what's usually referred to in this context) need is an energy reservoir in the form of warm ocean water, together with calm winds so that the forming storm does not get disrupted and some other conditions described e.g. here: http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/A15.html.

Yeah, man, agreed. That temperature gradient goes down. Is that what you meant by 'Carnot engine efficiency'? Then it's again trying to apply a piece of physics where it's not applicable, and trying to reduce a complex systems to a single variable.

The way I see it, as far as reasoning goes, what you're doing is in the same category as the 'it's the sun, stupid' argument. It's learning some relatively simple but maybe obscure fact about some process, assuming that's all there is to know about it, and (mis)using this newly gained knowledge to prop up some pre-existing world view (which I think in this case is: climate scientists/IPCC are lying to children and/or being alarmist).

Climate scientists hate him. Use this one simple trick to quickly understand what professionals spend years to understand - is what I'm seeing.

The point is, reading a paper or a bunch is not sufficient, if one doesn't have the background to understand how it fits in the larger context of the relevant body of knowledge.
That's why we have experts - professional researchers working full time on understanding how this or that aspect of climate change works.
So if the experts tell me climate change contributed and will continue to contribute to Cali fires*, while Max tells me nuh-huh because he's got this silver bullet of a factoid, then I know which to believe.

*and they do. Here are the sources I got from just one article on the subject, discussing some (all?) of the CC-related contributing factors, published by a (non-English) public outreach website for climate science:
Extremely low precipitation in California this season
Increasing precipitation volatility in twenty-first-century California
Climate change projected fire weather sensitivity: California Santa Ana wind occurrence
Projected changes in persistent extreme summer weather events: The role of quasi-resonant amplification
Impact of anthropogenic climate change on wildfire across western US forests
I'm not actually suggesting anyone needs to read that. Rather, find a similar English-language public outreach project, led by actual climate scientists, that puts such research into digestible context. Because that's invariably going to be a better source than yours or mine shallow understanding.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: November 20, 2018, 11:35:40 am »

Been following the subject for literally 30 years now, I've paid attention and studied and watched an entire base climate period worth of the discussion and research and so forth, I didn't just pop up and pick out a "gotcha" headline somewhere. The IPCC isn't trying to lie to children, they're aiming for politicians, it's why they put out their physical science basis reports (remember when it wasn't plural yet? I do) and then the summary for policymakers bits. This isn't a crusade or attempt to win an argument, it's a pet peeve I've nursed for decades now.

Why do I say stronger storms and such need a steeper equator to pole temperature gradient? We have a couple handy experiments around us, Venus has no surface gradient at all apparently, and the surface is a hot still soup. Jupiter is basically made of crazy temperature gradients and it is a playground of stormy nonsense, fucking geometrical cyclonic procession bullshit. Reducing the energy difference between the extremes on our planet seems an odd way to increase the violence involved in redistributions of energy which are powered by said difference, does it not?

Regarding aridity and local drought spells, if you dig around in their various publications you'll be able to find that the IPCC does end up admitting in a roundabout sort of fashion that broadly it might not totally end up being possibly not dry in most locations, but you've gotta unpack that because they don't say it very loudly, nor do they seem fond of sharing ways they might be wrong. They do know that people link "hot=dry like a desert" and "it's getting hotter" in their head and seem content to let it happen, that seems wrong to me.

As for whether to believe me, I can help you there: don't.

I'd say don't believe anything if you don't have to, doubt is useful, belief is comfortable.

Science is a verb, after all.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: November 20, 2018, 11:40:43 am »

Regarding aridity and local drought spells, if you dig around in their various publications you'll be able to find that the IPCC does end up admitting in a roundabout sort of fashion that broadly it might not totally end up being possibly not dry in most locations, but you've gotta unpack that because they don't say it very loudly, nor do they seem fond of sharing ways they might be wrong. They do know that people link "hot=dry like a desert" and "it's getting hotter" in their head and seem content to let it happen, that seems wrong to me.
I'd like to add a strong support to this along with the note that the IPCC has also admitted, in reports that somehow end up very difficult to find almost like they're intentionally buried or something, that there is no evidence for any trend in storm intensity, and that the perception of storm intensity increasing is entirely explained by the increased construction of expensive stuff in the path of storms.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: November 20, 2018, 12:20:45 pm »

Been following the subject for literally 30 years now, I've paid attention and studied and watched an entire base climate period worth of the discussion and research and so forth
Yeah, man. You and I.
Still, all that this makes us is particularly interested laymen.

We have a couple handy experiments around
One is a completely dry slow rotator, the other is a big ball of gas with high rotation. How do you even see those as sufficiently controlled experiments to draw such inferences is beyond me.

IPCC has also admitted, in reports that somehow end up very difficult to find almost like they're intentionally buried or something
How very odd.  ::)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: December 07, 2018, 06:59:03 am »

Bay12 is basically a bunch of very well informed lay-people that still are open minded enough to debate reasonably.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: December 07, 2018, 07:15:05 am »

Bay12 is basically a bunch of very well informed lay-people that still are open minded enough to debate reasonably.
I don't resemble this comment at all.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 07, 2018, 07:27:58 am »

I'm informed enough to know I'm a moron.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 54