Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 54

Author Topic: Science Thread (and !!SCIENCE!! Thread!)  (Read 87638 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Science Thread (and !!SCIENCE!! Thread!)
« Reply #270 on: April 15, 2018, 09:20:40 am »

I see somebody has read one of Sitchin's books without armoring up their mind first...

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 15, 2018, 09:21:34 am »

I see somebody has read one of Sitchin's books without armoring up their mind first...

Sitchin was wrong about the timescale it's probably every three hundred-odd years, which explains our grand solar minimums and why our empires seem to collapse every three hundred years because of glacial periods and famine and disease and stuff.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 15, 2018, 09:26:58 am »

Sitchin was wrong about the timescale it's probably every three hundred-odd years, which explains our grand solar minimums and why our empires seem to collapse every three hundred years because of glacial periods and famine and disease and stuff.
West Rome was the last to collapse due to the consequences climate change. There haven't been any empires collapsing from such causes since, really. From other reasons? Sure, but human reasons like fucking up economically or invading the ol' graveyard of empires: Afghanistan.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 15, 2018, 09:27:37 am »

No, Sitchin was wrong because:

1) He mistranslated the cuneiform
2) He tried to take religious rhetoric literally
3) He could not account for his own confirmation biases/was not sufficiently impartial/had strong opinions he could not distance himself from.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 15, 2018, 09:37:03 am »

West Rome was the last to collapse due to the consequences climate change.
... goths are a consequence of climate change?

Anyways I´ve always found more convincing the "economic disaster"  theories than the others. If the economy of the Empire wasn´t down in the gutter, they likely would have had enough resources to put up a defense against invading barbarians.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: April 15, 2018, 10:13:38 am »

A lot of peoples, goths included, migrated towards the Empire due to decreasing fertility thanks to the world becoming a little bit colder. There were, of course, other factors such as political struggles within the Emprie between senators and generals, roman propaganda making the "barbarians" want to be roman (and thus moving into roman territory, also the whole fixation people had with proclaiming to be the heirs of rome for more than a thousand years after), and, of course, the Huns displacing people by murdering and enslaving anyone who didn't pre-emptively flee.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 15, 2018, 11:02:51 am »

A lot of peoples, goths included, migrated towards the Empire due to decreasing fertility thanks to the world becoming a little bit colder. There were, of course, other factors such as political struggles within the Emprie between senators and generals, roman propaganda making the "barbarians" want to be roman (and thus moving into roman territory, also the whole fixation people had with proclaiming to be the heirs of rome for more than a thousand years after), and, of course, the Huns displacing people by murdering and enslaving anyone who didn't pre-emptively flee.
It did not help that the empire was at that point weak due to infighting and endless plagues combined with corruption. The west was almost certainly doomed in the long run.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 15, 2018, 11:14:15 am »

I was about to make some wisecrack about them migrating south due to shrinking of their natural habitat, but then that ended up getting put forward as a legitimate reason. My crack isn't as wise as it used to be.

Also, I once dated a girl who showed me The Fourth Kind, presenting it as hard proof of alien interaction with humans. We also watched Paranormal Activity 3 to prove that her apartment was haunted.

I've never before nor after had someone "un-like" my dating website profile while I was still at their house.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 15, 2018, 03:08:14 pm »

Well, I've opened myself up to the idea that there can be civilizations that have come and gone on any planet in this solar system at any time before the last 200 years. Fuck, they could have habitats with millions of people in space and we would never know because we have no clue where to look.

You can't just deny the existence of something because you haven't see it. That's foolish.
Yes, Russel has a lovely teapot, but he definitely doesn't have a technological civilization of teapots sharing a planetary system with us.

I mean, the first issue which kills the whole thing when you think about it is from the project rho site: there is no stealth in space. You want to hide a single ship from something like a passive sky survey that picks up brown dwarfs, you basically need magical technology, like straight up "fuck your laughable idea of what physics permits" magical. I mean, one of the highest tech civilizations in all of sci fi are the Xeelee, going from high Type IV all the way down to Type Omega-Minus on extended Kardashev Scales and they don't have stealth ships unless you count folding something up inside of a pocket universe I suppose.

Accordingly you can call the hypothesis that there might be another advanced (as far as we are) civilization in the solar system falsified.

If you want to propose additional hypothetical considerations to prop up your model, well, that's on you, but if your speculation is driven by a desire to support a faulty model, rather than explaining a prior observation... maybe you should go into sci fi rather than science? New and interesting speculation is always fun in sci fi, even if it may be unfounded.
That´s not what the article says. At all.
It’s not often that you write a paper proposing a hypothesis that you don’t support. Gavin and I don’t believe the Earth once hosted a 50-million-year-old Paleocene civilization.
But by asking if we could “see” truly ancient industrial civilizations, we were forced to ask about the generic kinds of impacts any civilization might have on a planet

Seeing that every hypothesis exists to be disproven or proven and they did neither, I believe you have thrown down the gauntlet, sir.
No, I don't know where you got the idea that science is about proving things, but the foundations of any such claims are not very sturdy, as it is easy to fool yourself if you aren't careful.

At best an unfalsified hypothesis says this idea could be a reasonable explanation for an observation or experimental result.

Evil Knievel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 15, 2018, 03:31:08 pm »

I have also read that the ancient empires, the babylonians, the greek, the romans, who where basically city states, laid themselves to ruin when they overstretched their own resources. The city needed the surrounding lands to exist, to feed it, etc. And they overused it, the babylonians apparently destroyed their soil, as did the greek when they failed to protect their lands from erosion, rome destroyed italy's and spains forests, and they required an occupation of more than europe to sustain themselves. It it sustainable as long as it has room to grow, but then it has to fail.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 15, 2018, 03:41:47 pm »

I'm ok with more albums of the same quality as Goths by the Mountain Goats.

I had to check who Sitchin was just now btw, and I saw quickly why I didn't recognize the name.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: November 16, 2018, 10:08:51 am »

Kilogram mass? Measured by force against gravity? I'll weight until they tell the story better.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: November 16, 2018, 10:24:36 am »

So, how many kilograms is a kilogram now?

Also, "Le Grand K is usurped by die kleine h"... Looking at the differences between K and h, we can conclude that the kilo has lost its erection.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #284 on: November 16, 2018, 10:46:14 am »

I feel the gravity of the situation is yet to set in
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 54