Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 54

Author Topic: Science Thread (and !!SCIENCE!! Thread!)  (Read 88011 times)

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
Re: Science Thread (and !!SCIENCE!! Thread!)
« Reply #90 on: June 09, 2017, 02:23:02 pm »

If warp bubbles can really be made, I think the prevailing fringe theories are that you wouldn't need any kind of conventional propulsion to move.  The warping of spacetime itself would move the ship.  In fact, using a rocket while inside of a warp bubble might cause issues, but I'm hardly versed in the math involved.

You're correct. Warping space time would shorten the distance between two points, and if the warp could be large enough the travel time would be instantaneous. The question is, even if we got through the challenge of creating negative energies, how would we deal with balancing it out with the rest of existence? The existence you warp out has to be compensated for somewhere.

If you take the renormalization formula out of quantum physics, we're left with infinite energy that might help explain the constant expansion & entanglement: current fringe theory (holographic fractal principle) is hinting towards an infinity of wormholes linking everything everywhere for all time; the quantum fueling this is the Planck Spherical Unit.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 09, 2017, 02:32:29 pm »

With a powerful enough doppleganger gruntmaster achieving such a balance would be child's play. It's just a matter of increasing the
 background energy level of the cosmic strings enough, and stability soon follows.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 09, 2017, 02:47:43 pm »

With a powerful enough doppleganger gruntmaster achieving such a balance would be child's play. It's just a matter of increasing the
 background energy level of the cosmic strings enough, and stability soon follows.

... Keep adding fuel to the fire and it will work itself out?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 09, 2017, 03:28:39 pm »

If warp bubbles can really be made, I think the prevailing fringe theories are that you wouldn't need any kind of conventional propulsion to move.  The warping of spacetime itself would move the ship.  In fact, using a rocket while inside of a warp bubble might cause issues, but I'm hardly versed in the math involved.

You're correct. Warping space time would shorten the distance between two points, and if the warp could be large enough the travel time would be instantaneous. The question is, even if we got through the challenge of creating negative energies, how would we deal with balancing it out with the rest of existence? The existence you warp out has to be compensated for somewhere.

If you take the renormalization formula out of quantum physics, we're left with infinite energy that might help explain the constant expansion & entanglement: current fringe theory (holographic fractal principle) is hinting towards an infinity of wormholes linking everything everywhere for all time; the quantum fueling this is the Planck Spherical Unit.
You'd be better off staying away from the Resonance Project - they're selling snake oil. Unless you really need to deepak your chopras.
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Nassim_Haramein

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 09, 2017, 03:32:05 pm »

Doppleganger gruntmasters can burn snake oil with 110% efficiency and feed the surplus force into the cosmic superstrings
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 09, 2017, 03:45:34 pm »

Doppleganger gruntmasters can burn snake oil with 110% efficiency and feed the surplus force into the cosmic superstrings
Slow down there, God.
Myquote.dat
You'd be better off staying away from the Resonance Project - they're selling snake oil. Unless you really need to deepak your chopras.
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Nassim_Haramein

Fair enough, although this is the science thread so I expect that everyone has their salt shakers prepared for the brain-eating slugs.

Do I think Haramein has gone off the deep end? Absolutely. With world politics at large, it's clear the patients are running the asylum, although that's not a surprise seeing that all of our medications have ended up (In trace amounts, we're just microdosing!) in our water supply.

However, seeing that a 30-year old debate about glass was settled by 30 pages of human-performed(Mentats!) algebra that was easier to calculate in infinite dimensions than arbitrarily fixed numbers of dimensions shows that renormalization is more than likely holding us back.

I expect science to become far easier when people can vicariously experience hallucinogenics through VR/AR recordings & will be able to wrap their mind around strange geometries & "spooky actions at a distance" while simultaneously being able to voluntarily stop experiencing said experience at any time they wish. In der zukunft.

EDIT: Crazy ideas now being entertained on Nature, but we went off the deep end five years ago.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 11:56:46 am by inteuniso »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 01, 2017, 01:48:19 pm »

Ohnoes! The Germans are taking us back to the stone age!

The energy company of the German city of Hamburg, in cooperation with Siemens Gamesa, will start the construction of a test version of a stone battery this fall.

The stone battery works on the same principle a stone grill uses. Certain types of rock are very good at retaining heat for a long time.
Engineers have now come up with a way to incorporate 2000 cubic meters of basalt gravel into a hill in such a way, that hot air blowers can be used to heat the gravel up to about 600C (1112F), and the heat can be retained up to a week.
Combined with a solar and wind park, the thermal battery's heat can be used to generate electricity when solar and wind input is low, while charging up when there's surplus energy.

Siemens Gamesa says the method is extremely well suited to replace coal plants. Just demolish the coal plant and replace it with a stone battery.
To run a 500MW plant for four hours, a lot of basalt gravel is needed: 111 thousand cubic meters. This *would* fit though, on the premises of your average 500MW coal plant.

Siemens isn't the first company to experiment with stone batteries. The Norwegian company EnergyNest uses a special kind of concrete, which can be stacked as modular blocks. In Abu Dabi their design is used in a water desalination plant.
According to Siemens however, using basalt is much, much cheaper.
And the world right now needs cheap ways to store fickle green energy. Much simpler and cheaper than basalt rock it will probably not get.

https://www.volkskrant.nl/wetenschap/hete-steen-mogelijk-uitkomst-voor-opslag-overtollige-groene-energie~a4509047/
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 01:50:14 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 01, 2017, 01:57:22 pm »

Shit, that's awesome. If you were to sit on top of that hill would it feel... warm?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 01, 2017, 01:58:11 pm »

Doubt it, it's made to insulate.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 01, 2017, 02:13:04 pm »

Yes, it would have a probably-noticeable higher ambient temperature, but you would not be cooking if the insulation is done properly.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 01, 2017, 02:20:21 pm »

I'm not asking if you'd cook, I'm asking if it would feel pleasant to sleep on the ground on a cool summer night. For reasons.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 01, 2017, 05:59:35 pm »

All heat that is beneficial to you, is lost energy that is unstored/not available to convert back to electricity on demand.  If you're getting even unpleasantly warm (but survivably so, for the sake of argument) It sitting atop a subterranean container of near-molten adamantine, the loss of energy is obviously small compared with the retained amount. If it's just barely providing the necessary 8°C or so for easy plant germination, year-round, above a maintained-as-lukewarm water reservoir, then it's probably not quite deep or insulated enough to be efficient.

The truth of the gravel-beds-in-caverns technology (looks like a hybrid version of some of these technologies) is probably between this. But I think that a pleasantly warm ground, that is not mostly the fading remnant of the daytime Sun's energy, would indicate not enough thermal lining...  As a pure guess, that is, without even a back of an envelope being calculated upon.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 01, 2017, 06:23:41 pm »

A nice grassy hill surrounded by turbines actually sounds like it would look rather nice, certainly better and a coal plant.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 05, 2017, 02:58:48 pm »

Dutch Scientists from the Eindhoven institute for fundamental energy research, 'Differ', might have found the solution to one of the big problems with fusion energy reactors: keeping the reactor walls cool, or in other words, finding a material that can withstand being exposed to temperatures comparable to the surface of the sun for long periods of time.

They discovered that by adding liquid tin to a spongelike structure made of wolfram, not only did the divertor (basically, a fusion reactor's exhaust) stay cooler, it also gained the ability to self-repair.

The liquid tin furthermore forms a cloud of tin gas, acting as a shield barrier, catching the high energy outburst from the reactor before they can hit the actuall wall, and dispersing the incoming energy evenly.

Sadly the breakthrough comes too late to be incorporated in the Iter test reactor, scheduled (after many delays and setbacks) to first start testing in 2025. If further testing proves viable, it might very well be used in the Demo test reactor planned for 2050.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 05, 2017, 03:04:00 pm »

(But isn't Fusion Power supposed to be 20 years away (perpetually)? That 2050 demo isn't supposed to be announced for another dozen-plus-change years.)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 54