Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 54

Author Topic: Science Thread (and !!SCIENCE!! Thread!)  (Read 88018 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Science Thread (and !!SCIENCE!! Thread!)
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2017, 01:51:58 pm »

... for the record, there is a rumor about two contemporary myeloproliferative neoplasm gurus  engaging in a fistfight over the ideal monitoring protocol for chronic myelogenous leukemia. So there are precedents.

Is that real?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2017, 04:16:10 pm »

I've heard two different accounts of the story,  both by people supposedly present when it took place. The first one was friends with one of them, and actually was with him after the scuff, and while admitting there WAS a scuff she said it wasn't all that bad. The other was (supposedly) an eyewitness account, and claims it got  more physical. Then again, said eyewitness (a guru himself ) is quite prone to exaggerating these kind of tales for drama's sake. So I tend to think that it didn´t go much further than a shove.

I wouldn't be too surprised if it went beyond that though. IMO people tend to come out of medical school a bit kooky. I've heard stories of fights for sillier things than who gets the say over a workgroup's protocol.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2017, 07:25:33 am »

I've heard two different accounts of the story,  both by people supposedly present when it took place. The first one was friends with one of them, and actually was with him after the scuff, and while admitting there WAS a scuff she said it wasn't all that bad. The other was (supposedly) an eyewitness account, and claims it got  more physical. Then again, said eyewitness (a guru himself ) is quite prone to exaggerating these kind of tales for drama's sake. So I tend to think that it didn´t go much further than a shove.

I wouldn't be too surprised if it went beyond that though. IMO people tend to come out of medical school a bit kooky. I've heard stories of fights for sillier things than who gets the say over a workgroup's protocol.

Oh, if it was an actual protocol and not a theoretical argument I can totally see it.

I mean, we scientist can get a bit physical during thesis defense too.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2017, 12:53:06 pm »

On the topic of quantum networks. So if the big advantage of quantum encryption is, that no one can listen in on it, because that would destroy the information carried, isn't that at the same time a huge weakness?
Wouldn't any hostile party just say 'screw it, if we can't read your messages, we'll just disrupt them by trying, so they're useless to you too'?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2017, 01:03:04 pm »

Knowing that you're being tapped is possibly a bonus worth the disruption.  If your communications line gets scrambled, try your alternate communications line, or your alternate alternate one, until you get a clear link that hasn't been tampered with.

(That eventual message can be the uniquely-generated 8192-bit key that protects your non-quantum communications, beyond any reasonable chance of decoding the non-quantum system that you don't have to care about being eavesdropped-upon1 because any security breach is likely to be within your 'green zone' ends of the network, and thus proof against all your communication precautions.)

1 Save for the value in the metadata that Alice and Bob are having communications.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2017, 03:41:38 pm »

On the topic of quantum networks. So if the big advantage of quantum encryption is, that no one can listen in on it, because that would destroy the information carried, isn't that at the same time a huge weakness?
Wouldn't any hostile party just say 'screw it, if we can't read your messages, we'll just disrupt them by trying, so they're useless to you too'?
I mean, that's kinda why the internet was made into a distributed network, and why things like Tor and such are floating around. If someone has enough access to your network that they can identify when you send any message out, they're your ISP or sitting beside you.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2017, 09:04:46 pm »

Scientists were able to reconstruct human faces that monkeys were looking at, purely by reading brain wave patterns:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/jun/01/scientists-discover-how-the-brain-recognises-faces-by-reading-monkeys-minds

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2017, 10:43:19 pm »

They got images as clear as that from just 205 neurons? Kinda hard to believe, to be honest.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2017, 11:17:36 pm »

I expected the images to have emphasis on certain parts. Like bigger eyes or mouth but I think the images were taken while the monkeys were viewing the pictures of faces, rather than from memory.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2017, 11:37:24 pm »

They got images as clear as that from just 205 neurons? Kinda hard to believe, to be honest.

I think they are doing some... fudgery on the images.

Likely they guessed certain details... and the "Guess" is a mockup of how close it was in terms of shape.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2017, 05:00:33 am »

The article implies there are around 50 variables that determine how the brain recognizes a face. They just need to read those, then a computer can generate the image.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2017, 06:31:30 am »

50 variables is actually quite a lot, in terms of the hyperdimensional volume defined by it. Though, it's still quite interesting that the entirety of our facial recognition maps directly to a group of only 205 neurons. Very efficient.
._.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2017, 10:27:22 am »

I think only half of those have to do with shape. Stuff like distance between eyes, nose width, and all those other character gen sliders. The second half is probably for colors and texture.
You could simplify the shape mathematically, but then you'd lose sight of the important information.

Not sure if it's claimed that it maps directly onto 205 neurons. It could just be that the scientists can extrapolate enough based on measuring (at most) 205 (monkey) neurons to identify (non-deformed, human) faces. Measuring more neurons might give greater fidelity.

Now I'm interested in if we can tell monkey faces apart.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 10:46:18 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2017, 12:05:01 pm »

ptw
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 54