Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 54

Author Topic: Science Thread (and !!SCIENCE!! Thread!)  (Read 87796 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Science Thread (and !!SCIENCE!! Thread!)
« Reply #735 on: December 07, 2021, 07:10:27 pm »

Imo, a better use would be inside a computing device, or inside a miniature linear accelerator.

You dont need ftl there. Just useful deviation/manipulation of quantum field parameters. (Think, use it as a lens, or, use it to make electrons tunnel preferentially in one direction, etc)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: December 07, 2021, 07:24:59 pm »

Imo, a better use would be inside a computing device, or inside a miniature linear accelerator.

You dont need ftl there.[...]
You maybe don't, but I'm actually looking forward to my computer system being controlled by three primary main processor core elements (cross-linked with a redundant melacortz ramistat through fourteen kiloquad interface modules) based upon just such an FTL nanoprocessor (ideally with 25 bilateral kelilactirals, twenty of those being slaved into a primary heisenfram terminal)...

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: December 07, 2021, 07:26:13 pm »

FTL central processor units boot up before you even press the power button.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: December 17, 2021, 06:51:38 pm »

So, apparently some of those who were worried (wrongly) about the non-ionising 'radiation' of 5G have been unknowingly dosing themselves with the harder stuff instead.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: January 10, 2022, 06:13:28 pm »

A 57 year old heart patient in the US is the first person ever to have been given a heart tranplantation with a genetically modified pig heart.
So far so good. For 3 days now, the heart is working well and not showing any signs of rejection by the body.
Fingers crossed. If this works, it could mean shortage of transplantable hearts becomes a thing of the past.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: January 11, 2022, 07:33:11 am »

God I love reading stuff like that. What a wonderful leap of progress if that holds true.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: January 15, 2022, 02:03:46 pm »

Anyone else fascinated and impressed how we caught the volcanic explosion basically in real-time with satellites?

Awe-inspiring.  Kind of terrifying too.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: January 15, 2022, 06:11:33 pm »

Anyone else fascinated and impressed how we caught the volcanic explosion basically in real-time with satellites?
Caught? Or caused.  Where exactly were Musk's latest batch of satellites at the time?

(BTW, controversy with the pig-heart transplantee. He was convicted of viciously stabbing someone, thirty years ago. The family of the victim (who was paralysed, and died after long-term complications in 2007) think he wasn't 'worthy' of the possibly life-saving procedure. On the other hand, of course there's always the old "undergo extremely high-risk medical procedures as a test subject to offset your criminal conviction" meme right?)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: January 16, 2022, 05:02:08 am »

I would go for "Rule of Law is always preferable to Rule of Men" angle, and assert that this is where the prohibition against cruel and unusual punishments comes from, and that such things are necessary for a society worthy of being lived in-- and that the family, while I lament their loss, needs to not try to press for additional punishments extra-judicially. (and that no, it does not matter how much emotional anguish they have suffered, the consequences of going Rule of Men, to satisfy their anger and rage at their loss, dooms all of society, and that is not a valid position to take.)

But that's just me.

I am known for my hot takes.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: January 16, 2022, 06:14:34 am »

Awe-inspiring.  Kind of terrifying too.

20km high mushroom cloud. Awe-inspiring satellite picture indeed.

Miraculously no one on the main island was injured. They don't know yet how the smaller islands fared, it's too dangerous to send planes, ships, or helicopters to take a look and their communications systems are all down.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: January 31, 2022, 04:55:11 am »

Since recent scientific studies have shown that not just women are at risk of developing uterus cancer from HPV infection, but men can also develop penis cancer and anal cancer from it, the dutch govenment will now start offering HPV vaccination not just for girls over 10 years old, but also to boys (girls have been getting the vaccination since well over a decade now).
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 04:56:50 am by martinuzz »

DwarfUli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: February 01, 2022, 01:42:30 pm »

Since recent scientific studies have shown that not just women are at risk of developing uterus cancer from HPV infection, but men can also develop penis cancer and anal cancer from it, the dutch govenment will now start offering HPV vaccination not just for girls over 10 years old, but also to boys (girls have been getting the vaccination since well over a decade now).

The dutch have always been a very forward thinking peoples. Good luck with this in "amurica", people shy away from science and certainly vaccinations over here..

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: February 02, 2022, 11:44:44 am »

Pretty cool: The city cleaning services in Stockholm have managed to train crows to clean cigarette butts from the streets, in exchange for food from automatic dispensers.
The researchers chose crows for being the most intelligent bird species available, with an intelligence level comparable to chimpansees.
Next they will try and train jackdaws as well, because they fly in larger packs and are more abundant.

In France a similar project has been done before. The difference is that the French experiment worked with handraised tame crows, the Swedish project trained wild birds.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: February 03, 2022, 08:56:52 am »

Somebody recreated the dunning kruger experiment with randomly generated test scores and predictions and got identical results to the real experiment

Psychology/sociology replicate one effect challenge (impossible)
Shoes...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: February 03, 2022, 08:58:40 am »

That implies that the Dunning Kruger effect does not exist? It was just a confirmation bias?

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 54