Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Worlds Adrift  (Read 8044 times)

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
Re: Worlds Adrift
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2017, 02:16:46 am »

Keys are currently still available if people are interested in the game.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2017, 02:55:01 am »

How did I completely miss this topic?

I might be up for some GOI-type game if I didn't just dump a bunch of money on hardware upgrade.

E: One of the things I'm reading is that this game has a lot of griefers, which is really off-putting for me.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 03:56:50 am by OzyTheSage »

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2017, 08:47:46 am »

yea. they are slowly making changes to make griefing a bit less easy.
Today they made it so pistols can't hurt ships/ship-parts.. which is likely a response to the crazy ease that people could just  go to down with pistols. Which means that they now have to use actual cannons (which require them to actually have their own ship / they are harder to aim), or use timed explosives, which means they actually have to get on the ship (plus find the tech).

TBH griefing is heavily caused by a) it being easier to grief then build and b) their being little to do once you get all the techs you want / travel through to all the areas / brave all the storm/wind/sand walls.
Both are slowly getting worked on.
Supposeively the next 'big' patch is going to bring some more interactive islands for exploration (ancient turrets / non-random chest placement to making find cool stuff require at least some effort) and the next big patch after that includes things like traps, triggers, 'wiring' in islands to allow for varied and interesting exploration / splunking beyond just grappling around.

I'd say waiting until after some of that stuff is common place might be a good idea for most.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 08:49:29 am by Rift »

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2017, 10:55:09 am »

Yeah, most of the content aside from exploring to unlock schematics is pvp, which is supposed to be the main point of the game. Finding people who won't just throw a fit and call you a griefer to have some pvp fun is harder than it should be though, a lot of players think they're entitled to go about their business safely. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not "griefing". Most of the time my friend and I make it more fun and interesting, telling people to stop and prepare to be boarded peacefully or we'll open fire. Some people comply and we grab one or two stacks of materials from a chest and let them leave, If they don't comply we usually cripple their ship, not to the point of sinking or being unable to fly, but to the point where they don't have much of a choice but to comply anymore. We had some crews fight back and it was some good fun, we also attack any pirates we see picking on other ships since they're more likely to put up a fight. When we're not out looking for a fight, we help some people out, the more people are in the air, the more fun everyone has.

Friendly piracy, not dickishness.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 10:58:07 am by Ygdrad »

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2017, 03:41:38 pm »

Well, I bought it. Seems hard as heck to get going. Least for me at the moment. Seems like my starting island has like no metal at all.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2017, 03:49:53 pm »

Yeah, most of the content aside from exploring to unlock schematics is pvp, which is supposed to be the main point of the game. Finding people who won't just throw a fit and call you a griefer to have some pvp fun is harder than it should be though, a lot of players think they're entitled to go about their business safely. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not "griefing". Most of the time my friend and I make it more fun and interesting, telling people to stop and prepare to be boarded peacefully or we'll open fire. Some people comply and we grab one or two stacks of materials from a chest and let them leave, If they don't comply we usually cripple their ship, not to the point of sinking or being unable to fly, but to the point where they don't have much of a choice but to comply anymore. We had some crews fight back and it was some good fun, we also attack any pirates we see picking on other ships since they're more likely to put up a fight. When we're not out looking for a fight, we help some people out, the more people are in the air, the more fun everyone has.

Friendly piracy, not dickishness.

Worlds Adrift needs more people like you. As an old-school Shadowbane and SWG player, I love me some good PvP and a bit of ganking here and there.

But the type of stuff I'm seeing on a lot of Worlds Adrift streams isn't PvP or ganking; it's just straight up griefing. Repeatedly killing people who just logged in for the first time five feet from spawn until they quit is not good game design.

All the hand-made islands, all the exploration, and all fancy ship designs won't matter if the game is just a Rust-style grief fest in practice. At that point, just take out the wind walls, limit the game to a couple islands, and let people kill eachother while swinging around on grappling hooks and you'll get a 95% similar game.

(For the record, I love a lot of things I see about Worlds Adrift. If they can figure out how to balance the griefing, I will happily buy the game at full price)
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2017, 04:22:05 pm »

If I were to pick the game up how would I find any of you?

Also are there flags or spyglasses or something? From the videos I'm watching you can't really tell what the deal is with any ships until they're right up in your face and killing you.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 04:25:35 pm by OzyTheSage »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2017, 04:38:56 pm »

Keys are currently still available if people are interested in the game.

Thanks for the heads-up. I missed the last few batches.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2017, 04:56:53 pm »

Being the irresponsible consumer I am I bought the game anyways...

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2017, 05:57:24 pm »

If I were to pick the game up how would I find any of you?

Also are there flags or spyglasses or something? From the videos I'm watching you can't really tell what the deal is with any ships until they're right up in your face and killing you.

No spyglasses unfortunately. I'm on the US east server, and there are two ways to find people. The hard way, manage to orient yourself using one of the player maps like this one for US east, or the easy way, which is to join their crew and use the crew teleport option to spawn near them(9 hour cooldown, can only teleport in T1/T2 Wildernedd/Expanse zones).

Griefing has been severely toned down with today's update. It takes much longer to salvage someone's shipyard and trying to damage someone's ship with boarding combat is almost impossible now, boarding is more for killing or distracting the crew now. This leads to more ship-to-ship engagements where the attacker actually has to put something on the line too. Shipyards taking longer to salvage means your ship should be fairly safe while docked or under construction and if you have a spawner on it, players will have to be very persistent and invest a fair amount of effort to get anywhere.

They've finally gotten it to the point where defending a ship might be easier than destroying it.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 06:42:06 pm by Ygdrad »

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2017, 11:03:26 pm »

Just had a super kick ass time playing with Ozy. We built a lovely yacht of sort. It's lightly armed with only two guns and because it's paneling is made of that super light wood, I bet it won't take much of a beating but still. It was fun as hell.

Pics will come later.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2017, 11:06:54 pm »

Our first adventure was nos especially successful. We built a smaller boat with three sails and a gun on the lower deck to aim downwards and one at the very top. We tried to brave the wind wall with our sails but were torn apart. We now understand why there are abandoned ships at the edge of the wall.

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2017, 03:32:39 am »

Yeah, Deployed-Sails can't be used to go through ANY of the weather-walls, they are pretty much instantly destroyed if they are unfurlled.
Windwalls (the ones you can see through) aren't that difficult with some engines and wings though. (Be careful not to be near your weight limit though, as you need SOME climbing force as it pushes down... easier to handle if your higher up if you weigh too much).

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2017, 05:53:27 am »

Weather walls don't instantly destroy sails. It quickly damages them until they're disabled. For the sake of science I beat the wind wall with sail power, but I basically had 6 sails to burn through before I had to start repairs and start burning them 1/2 at a time. it's doable, just not practical, costs a ton of wood in repairs.

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2017, 12:58:07 pm »

Weather walls don't instantly destroy sails. It quickly damages them until they're disabled. For the sake of science I beat the wind wall with sail power, but I basically had 6 sails to burn through before I had to start repairs and start burning them 1/2 at a time. it's doable, just not practical, costs a ton of wood in repairs.
I stand corrected. Do you mean you used 6 sails total, constantly repairing them? how long do they last on average before going down again? and it only hits one at a time/ or at random, not all at once?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5