Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Worlds Adrift  (Read 8046 times)

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Worlds Adrift
« on: May 03, 2017, 09:36:11 pm »

Just posting here to see if any other DF players also got into the Worlds Adrift alpha. If there are enough players, we could terrorize the skies and explore the world in the name of Armok.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Worlds Adrift
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 12:07:29 am »

Link + Description mate.

EDIT: having said that, it looks awesome.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 12:10:30 am by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 03:02:30 am »

I can't say as I've heard of this yet.

Edit:
* after googling *

We’re the makers of the mega-games Surgeon Simulator, I am Bread and the upcoming MMO Worlds Adrift

What.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 03:12:51 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 04:59:42 am »

Worlds Adrift
Website Description:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

uh, my tldr description as someone who has played it a fair amount on and off.. It's Gun's of Icarus Online with ships you make/design yourself in a MMO world where you explore fairly interesting floating islands looking for chests that contain junk and blueprints for new ship-parts. You also do some 'research' that amounts to scanning lots of weird cylinder things to slowly improve a few parts like better engines/wings/cannons. Also, the movement is pretty good. Grapple-hooking around is fun, and gliders are cool (but you have to find the tech for them, or have someone who does make it for you). Still has -some- loading-islands-in-lag. And theres still the occasional physics bug, but its not unplayable or anything.

It shines, like most multiplayer games, when your with a group all working on the same ship and meeting/harassing other players... it's a bit lonely/meditative alone.. since you spent tons of time just flying through majestic clouds/around islands and exploring ruins. There are a few enemy-monsters who seem to have gotten a bit harder to deal with the last big patch, but nothing that scary.

I can't say as I've heard of this yet.

Edit:
* after googling *

We’re the makers of the mega-games Surgeon Simulator, I am Bread and the upcoming MMO Worlds Adrift

What.
...yeah, lifes weird. But it is in a playable if not amazing state.. so i guess they know what they are doing at-least on the small? (there cant of been more then a few thousand players at once) scale closed alpha level. They actually do twitch streams with some of the developers most weeks, and you can directly talk to them via discord at times... so they are pretty good community communication-wise.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 05:07:46 am by Rift »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 11:12:05 am »

From everything I've seen, if they can just make solo play more interesting this'll be a great game. Seems like a little too much exploration, not enough fighting right now too.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 05:29:40 pm »

Obligatory add-combat-to-exploration branch.

EVE online does spreadsheets rather well, having access to military-grade server hardware and therefore plenty of space for all the details.

My vote? Enliven exploration! Combat has been done before, and it doesn't fix the problem of lack of variety in exploration. Give players multi-branching exploration, where they can choose to split up and cover multiple branches or stick together to focus on one, and challenge/reward both paths, particularly with FROM-esque double/triple/quadruple/quintuple+ hazards, along with the !!dank loot!! to accompany it, and they'll be happier. Still going to criticize, just buck up and let them and use their advice to improve your game. Not obey them mindlessly, but listen to what they say and think about how you agree/disagree with them, and what the ultimate effort actually entails.

I believe that complexity will continue rising at least proportionally to the available resources.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 05:31:52 pm »

There’s no XP or leveling-up

Ahhh non-features being presented as features.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 07:53:11 pm »

The website looks nice. That's a plus.
Also apparently there's a free world-editor on steam, so I may try that.

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 10:15:34 pm »

@Inteuniso, Yeah i completely agree, we have tons of mmo-style games that focus on combat in various degrees of grind, but extremely few (secret world the exception perhaps) that focus on exploration. Theres a lot of 'new' stuff that devs could explore/try out in the 'make a game about rewarding exploration' theme. There was a 'feedback' survey for the testers and i included a giant paragraph where i stressed that as the "thing they need the most in the game" is more things to encourage exploration besides scanning research-cylinders and chest-finding; That they really need to push hard on the exploration aspect because it's the best/most interesting potential in the game.

@Urist McScoopbeard Yeah, pretty much. Its fun building a airship or two and exploring for awhile hunting down those tech-cylinders and chests.. and its always nice to get through the wind/storm/sand walls for the first time. But at some point, 5-10hours in, your going to start feel like you've reached pretty much all you can enjoy in single player. They really need some more exploration goals/rewards/mechanics, especially after the mid-game.. because there is no real late-game content..

I've managed to enjoy like 20hrs of the game or so.. but 5hrs of that was with a friend.. Which is fine.. for a non-mmo game really. I'm sure adding bits of content can add a few hours here and there.. and when faction/ ships-building-ships stuff gets more developed that'll add more fun-time too.. it's just i really really want them to add more mechanics/game play specifically relating to rewarding exploration, as i think it'll get the most returns.

@Folly  Yeah, something like half of the ingame floating islands you can explore are player created. And most islands are fairly interesting/unique in design, it makes it almost exploring those islands fairly rewarding just from the 'see interesting ruins/glowy mushroom caves' aspect.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 10:19:32 pm by Rift »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 10:17:23 pm »

I just hope it will be a game where the building process isn't "Your entire life unless you cheat" (ALA: well... you know what games)

assuming they plan on letting you make your own ships.

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 10:23:08 pm »

I just hope it will be a game where the building process isn't "Your entire life unless you cheat" (ALA: well... you know what games)

assuming they plan on letting you make your own ships.

Makeing airships isn't really -that- difficult/time-consuming. Small ones you can make fairly fast/easy. And even the biggest ones you could float early on(given you lacking better floaty-tech) wouldnt take hours. Even the biggest ship you could realistically make, with best floaty-tech, i can't see taking more then a few hours as a single person. Although some islands can be sparse with resources if you are on a small one or one that got pillaged by a fellow player recently. In the later-case though, the under-storms will start hitting the underside of the island with lightning and replenish the island with some resources/chests as it gets low in them though. The under-storms also slowly degrade player-made constructions/ships on the island.. which is really useful for not having ship-dock spam/random broken ships everywhere... as a few patches ago that was a legitimate concern.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 10:25:47 pm by Rift »

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2017, 10:34:25 pm »

Yeah, as someone who has logged over 60 hours of solo play, I can attest that it takes a certain kind of person to really enjoy playing it alone. Thats sort of why I posted here, to see if anyone else around the DF forums would be interested in teaming up for some exploration and adventure on the high seas skies.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2017, 10:36:14 pm »

so no ports though? no bases? kind of sad I guess. How do you log out? Can you just log out in open air on your vessel?

EDIT: Also, I'm thrilled to learn that this will be available for mac users! Wooooo!!!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 10:45:22 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2017, 10:53:33 pm »

so no ports though? no bases? kind of sad I guess. How do you log out? Can you just log out in open air on your vessel?

EDIT: Also, I'm thrilled to learn that this will be available for mac users! Wooooo!!!

People made airships that looked like houses for a bit as a laugh and put them on the islands. Thats not a viable thing anymore but airships that can make airships are a planned in the near-future thing.. so 'bases' would be carrier-ships.
When you log-out and your vessel's not docked, your vessel vanishes after some short amount of minutes (not sure, 5mins?).
You can leave your vessel docked on a island, but it (and the dock) would take damage from understorms over time if i read the patch notes correctly... so i guess after a few days of dockage it might either vanish as if you logged out if the dock breaks.. or crash into the island and slowly start breaking over more time.
EDIT: The ship appears again when you log-back in, in the same exact spot it vanished from. (if you were standing on it when you log-out you would still be standing on it when you log in)

To be clear, while engines require fuel, the floaty devices don't. Your ships can 'float' and go up/down as long as the atlas-reactor (floaty thingy) is not damaged/can support the current weight of ship. (you get upto atm 3 upgrade-techs for the reactor via chests). Sails also don't require fuel (although they can be destroyed by any of the wind-walls/storm-walls/sand-walls, so you can only use them for local cruising at slow speed, and direction largly effects speed.
The 'walls' basically seperate the world into varios island sectors all sharing the same biome. The more difficult wall you go through the harder biome you get to, and the tech you find in chests and resources found on islands is biome-dependant (although some stuff is in multiple biomes). theres 4 biomes atm. you basically go wilderness-biome/-wind-wall-/Expanse-biome/-storm-wall-/remants-biome/-sand-wall-/badlands-biome.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 11:02:44 pm by Rift »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2017, 10:59:27 pm »

Maybe im not understanding you, but that sounds like a pain in the ass. When you say your ship disappeared after logging out for 5 minutes... you mean like you have to build a new one? That blows if your only alternative is to leave it where it WILL be damaged. What if you cant play for a week or whatever?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5