Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Worlds Adrift  (Read 8030 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worlds Adrift
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2017, 01:37:26 pm »

I don't know, but even with two very powerful engines (for our level) it took us quite a while to get through the wall. Not sure how you last that long with just sails.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2017, 02:29:58 pm »

You got that backwards buddy. We got the two super engines AFTER we went through the windwall. We used four of the crappy ones to push through it with a very heavy ship.

*Edit*

What would you guys consider the most important part of a design? I kind of like a larger ship, but the way I understand the current mechanics means I'd just get completely wrecked by pirates.

I might just have to go for a smaller ship and sacrifice a bunch of the cargo capacity I had wanted. And you know, having a roomy inside I could actually walk around inside of.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 05:20:34 pm by Xardalas »

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2017, 08:20:33 am »

Weather walls don't instantly destroy sails. It quickly damages them until they're disabled. For the sake of science I beat the wind wall with sail power, but I basically had 6 sails to burn through before I had to start repairs and start burning them 1/2 at a time. it's doable, just not practical, costs a ton of wood in repairs.
I stand corrected. Do you mean you used 6 sails total, constantly repairing them? how long do they last on average before going down again? and it only hits one at a time/ or at random, not all at once?
They will all take damage. What I did was start out with all 6 up until they all broke then repaired em all while they were down and started using them one or two at a time and swapping between em when they broke and repairing again when they were all broken. Took a bit of time, but all I needed to do was break past the middle point of the wall after which the wind was just going to get me out the other side with no effort. Sails really didn't last very long, we're talking seconds. It's not a viable option, I only did it for science and to prove a point :P

What would you guys consider the most important part of a design? I kind of like a larger ship, but the way I understand the current mechanics means I'd just get completely wrecked by pirates.

I might just have to go for a smaller ship and sacrifice a bunch of the cargo capacity I had wanted. And you know, having a roomy inside I could actually walk around inside of.

Speed was everything. Now that boarding combat isn't nearly as useful, agility might also be a good thing to excel at, but speed is your safest bet. It doesn't hurt if you have a cannon very close to the helm to fire back at them and make them reconsider.

I use two kinds of ships, exploration/combat ships which are compact and fast, and storm/sand wall-crossing ships which are big and have a lot of room for repair crew to walk in safely without rubberbanding into stuff and dying, while having line of sight to every important component.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 08:28:25 am by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2017, 12:38:54 pm »

Eh. I think I'll just go for a fun ship. Even if I do have the feeling that I will get utterly wrecked by pirates. With any luck the bronze plating I'm in the process of sticking all over it will give it some durability.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2017, 10:58:13 pm »

Xardalas made a pretty badass ship, then I cam along and glitched into one of the engines and broke physics and nearly destroyed one of the tier 4 engines he had.

Not 100% sure, but I think that my loot bag that dropped when you die gopt stuck inside the ship with no physics applied to it, causing the ship to 'crash' into it and get stuck. I could grapple onto the bag while it was in the air and it wasn't until physics woke up on it that the ship could move again.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2018, 05:18:32 pm »

There were multiple wipes and we now have a new world and a lot more anti-griefing features, ships are harder to take down, and you have more options to defend your ship from boarders.

Was thinking of getting back into the game, but it's more fun with others. Anyone here got the game and willing to give it another try?

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2018, 04:06:50 am »

I might buy it and try to join you guys, not to play alone.

But before I buy the game : is it grindy ?

Since you can get your ship destroyed in PvP and that there are multiple tiers for many components (I keep reading about T2-3-4 ships, with newer engines, wings, ...), is it a game where you gather resources for an hour to build your ship, go to another island, and get it destroyed in a single fight ?

Watching streamers and friends play Island of Thieves, one of the things I like in this game is that the "free" ship that you can start with is good enough to put up a fight, so you don't have to do boring stuff before you can really play. How is it in Worlds Adrift ?

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2018, 12:11:07 pm »

Since you can get your ship destroyed in PvP and that there are multiple tiers for many components (I keep reading about T2-3-4 ships, with newer engines, wings, ...), is it a game where you gather resources for an hour to build your ship, go to another island, and get it destroyed in a single fight ?

Watching streamers and friends play Island of Thieves, one of the things I like in this game is that the "free" ship that you can start with is good enough to put up a fight, so you don't have to do boring stuff before you can really play. How is it in Worlds Adrift ?

Ships come in all shapes and sizes. If I feel things are dangerous I'll build a ship that's quick and cheap to make. Once you're familiar with some of your ship blueprints you can build them relatively quickly. For the grindy part, I guess it depends on how you want to see it. There are no missions unlike Sea of Thieves, just exploration of various player-made islands in search of knowledge and various resources. The gameplay loop is fairly repetitive since it mostly involves flying to different places and searching for said knowledge, but some of the islands are pretty cool and I personally didn't mind since I like exploration.

Ships are definitely harder to take down than they used to be and fights can last a while. Wind walls and the like also make for good ways to at least temporarily escape combat if you can't just outrun or outgun your opponent. Losing ships happen, but I never felt it happened often enough to really turn me off.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2018, 12:54:03 pm »

I was an alpha tester, but when they moved out of that I never felt inclined to throw down the cash for a game I've already played.

That said it was pretty fun back the and has only improved  as far as I can tell. Designing your own ships and getting through the wind walls and combat all make the game very fun. It's lots of quiet exploration, resource collection, and building punctuated by loud explosive bits of action.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2018, 08:24:58 pm »

playing on EU servers since the alpha I lost my ship maybe 3 or 4 times to players, and that's with ~100 hours played. I lost many more ships to wind walls playing solo and general stupidity on my part when playing in a crew of two. I heard there's still some idiots griefing first players on the US servers however.
That said, if you play in an organized crew you can scrap together a basic ship in like 15 minutes, and the resource collection is more interesting than in other games imo. Most metal is below the islands, so you get rewarded for playing it risky.
And contrary to Sea of Thieves, the islands in this are usually a lot more interesting, after the starter biome at least.

Anyways, if someone is interested, I could use a crew member or more on the EU server and am a decent pilot myself. If we get enough people we could even make a B12 alliance.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 08:27:45 pm by EvilTwin »

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2018, 12:29:36 am »

I ended up buying the game, last week, and on Sunday, got a second key for a friend. We play together for 10 hours, just on Sunday. I think we like it :)

And you seem right : on the EU server, most players are friendly. I find more guys who will give me a little extra thing (got a Compass and a Fuel gauge when I didn't know how to craft em) than enemies to fight against.

We are planning to try to go through the thunderwall soon.

Also, EvilTwin and Ygdrad, I was thinking about making a second character on EU (so it doesn't spawn my main's ship) to play with you guys :)

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2018, 03:16:59 pm »

that's good to hear! good thing you got the compass on your main char, thunderwall is pretty hard without it.

if there hasn't been a wipe since i last played, I should still have a relatively fresh character on a fairly small ship at the moment, but it's better than starting from zero I suppose. Feel free to add me:)

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2018, 05:29:32 pm »

that's good to hear! good thing you got the compass on your main char, thunderwall is pretty hard without it.

if there hasn't been a wipe since i last played, I should still have a relatively fresh character on a fairly small ship at the moment, but it's better than starting from zero I suppose. Feel free to add me:)

Ah I remember my first stormwall, I was glad I had a compass too and was sure I'd make it through... that is until the first lightning strike hit the bent pipes the compass was on. Not too long after that I went inside the ship to refill the fuel tank since it didn't look like we were going anywhere... just to find out that the deck the fuel tank was on had fallen off... along with the tank. My friend and I had a good laugh.

Looking forward to playing with you all.

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2018, 12:26:38 am »

I went through the Thunderwall, just yesterday, with my crewmate :)
With our 6 engines and our compass, we though it would be nearly easy.
What we didn't expect, was the Sky core to take damage from the storm.
When, while I was repairing an engine, my crewmate, piloting, received a notification that the ship was too heavy, we were a bit puzzled.
I turned around, to point my repairer to the Sky Core, and realized I could repair it.
After a few very long seconds, we could finally get back to flying, and managed to get to the other side of the Thunderwall.

It's only after landing on an island barely 200m after the wall, that we realized that we lost an engine during the storm :D

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2018, 02:23:08 pm »

The more complex a ship is(more parts) the better it will fare in the stormwall. Back then I made minimalist ships to keep weight down and speed high without needing too many engines, which meant the chance of something important getting hit was relatively high. These days I have designs specifically made to go through walls without trouble Or at least I did before the wipes, I wish we kept our blueprints :/
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5