Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Worlds Adrift  (Read 8033 times)

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worlds Adrift
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2017, 11:01:12 pm »

No, the ship appears when you log back in. Assuming you were standing on it when you log-off, you would be standing on it when you log on.
There is no problem in this regard, you just log-off whenever you want on your ship, it vanishes shortly after you, and when you log back in its there as if you never left. ..I think? its possible someone could attack your ship in the time between you logging-off and when the ship vanishes, but it's never happened to me.

You could however lose your ship to someone attacking it with cannons, manually attacking it with a pistol a ton (especially the floaty-reactor), or explosives (although they arent crazy strong). You could lose it to wind-walls/storm-walls/sand-walls from damage in the later two cases (as they actually damage parts, so be redundant, or just from being pushed out of the sky. Your ship/player dies if it goes wayyyy too low. Having a heavier ship helps fight the strong winds in the walls as does wings i think. Sails get destroyed near-instantly in the walls, so you need a bunch of engines. And the later walls turn you around and you can't see through them so you need to find compass-tech. Also it helps if your reactor isn't near its limit, as it seems it can go up/down with more speed/force if it's not just barely keeping your ship afloat.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 11:10:13 pm by Rift »

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2017, 11:09:38 pm »

Maybe im not understanding you, but that sounds like a pain in the ass. When you say your ship disappeared after logging out for 5 minutes... you mean like you have to build a new one? That blows if your only alternative is to leave it where it WILL be damaged. What if you cant play for a week or whatever?

It reappears with you when you log back in.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2017, 03:25:07 pm »

I finished my first island!
Obelisk

There is not much information that I can find regarding what is appropriate in terms of island size, number of loot boxes to include, and appropriate difficulty in reaching each loot box. So I'm hoping that I will get some feedback from players more knowledgeable than myself.
The grappling hook is very fun to play around with. Almost feels like spiderman.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2017, 09:03:54 pm »

I finished my first island!
Obelisk

There is not much information that I can find regarding what is appropriate in terms of island size, number of loot boxes to include, and appropriate difficulty in reaching each loot box. So I'm hoping that I will get some feedback from players more knowledgeable than myself.
The grappling hook is very fun to play around with. Almost feels like spiderman.

Cool looking island. I'd explore it  :D

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2017, 10:29:45 pm »

Wait... is that a Wedding Arch?

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2017, 07:32:50 am »

I managed to get my hands on a key when a small batch was available for sale recently and I've been enjoying what the game has to offer. I've been going at it solo most of the time and I'm looking for crewmates. Anyone else here got the game?

I've been lucky enough to have not lost my ship yet. I've been taking good care of her and she's seen me through a lot of tough spots.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This was actually my second ship since I scuttled the first which was only meant to get me to a better island. This ship started as an experiment in fuel economy and sail power and it worked out so well I just kept it for exploration and cargo storage and put a rear chaser cannon in her to deter pirates. Now that it's all metal-plated I'm hoping it can make it through the storm wall mostly intact. I haven't found the schematics for any of the core upgrades yet, but I've got a bunch of the upgrades on her due to either finding them loaded in assembly stations or trading with players to let me craft one. The wings and engines were also found in assembly stations and I wouldn't be able to rebuild her the same if she went down.

Only downside to this design is the extremely cluttered/cramped space both on and below deck which leads to a lot of deaths when the game lags and I'm walking around in flight, but I've gotten used to it and has only lead to one crash so far.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 07:49:55 am by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2017, 08:57:02 am »

I also have the game and have been looking for crew. That's why I started this thread here.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2017, 12:31:50 pm »

Each time I check the website, I see a new announcement that they released a new batch of founder packs and already sold out.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2017, 12:11:13 am »

I also have the game and have been looking for crew. That's why I started this thread here.

I'm on the US server, what about you? I think I added you on steam if I got the right person.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 05:26:14 am by Ygdrad »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2017, 03:53:07 pm »

Seems to me like this game could be great... If they make bigger islands that can be held by player groups and fortified and from which resources can be constantly extracted over time, to make PvP a thing. And some support for absolutely immense ships that would take a large group of people a long time to build.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2017, 06:41:06 pm »

Immense ships don't seem to be very feasible. Every piece is its own physics entity interacting with others and ships with over 150 parts are already problematic. Not only that, since the game also is sort of a crazy physics game, any one of those pieces breaking off can cause a catastrophic cascade of destruction by flying into other pieces which bounce around in the ship wrecking more stuff that then bounces around and... you get the idea. A large ship with lots of parts would probably run into lots of problems. I think alliances claiming islands is just a matter of time but I don't think they should be able to build bases and even less set up automated mining. If a large organized group doesn't have to spend manpower to gather resources that will make them even stronger than regular player without having to work as much. Fortifying islands is a recipe for disaster, you'd end up with every island fortified and players having nowhere to go.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2017, 08:54:00 pm »

Immense ships don't seem to be very feasible. Every piece is its own physics entity interacting with others and ships with over 150 parts are already problematic. Not only that, since the game also is sort of a crazy physics game, any one of those pieces breaking off can cause a catastrophic cascade of destruction by flying into other pieces which bounce around in the ship wrecking more stuff that then bounces around and... you get the idea.
Alternately, make them out of bigger pieces.

I think alliances claiming islands is just a matter of time but I don't think they should be able to build bases and even less set up automated mining. If a large organized group doesn't have to spend manpower to gather resources that will make them even stronger than regular player without having to work as much.
If something like this isn't done, the game is unlikely to generate long-lasting appeal. A game needs goals, and as humans are social creatures, socially defined goals work well and dynamically, but that needs greater frameworks to make it feel worthwhile. The only "problem" is that a regular player would then not be defined as the one who shuns groups.

Fortifying islands is a recipe for disaster, you'd end up with every island fortified and players having nowhere to go.
This is why I suggested a specific type of island, not for all islands to support this feature.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2017, 04:13:10 pm »

I'm playing on the EU server, have lots of good blueprints and would be willing to take on crewmates or join a crew. Add me on Steam if you wanna :P http://steamcommunity.com/id/mrquantumflux

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2017, 08:04:42 pm »

I'm in Australia. How can I start playing this? Gotta wait for it to be made available here?

Edit: Yes to above question, based on dev answer on forum as at June 2017.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 08:07:28 pm by BuriBuriZaemon »
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2017, 08:41:50 pm »

At this rate, if the poll keeps going the way it is till monday at midnight, then there will be a new small batch of keys released next week. I suggest keeping an eye on their twitter and dev blog to know when these keys are released since they tend to sell out within an hour or two at most.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5