Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 456 457 [458] 459 460 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 591832 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Summer 1945 (Design Phase)
« Reply #6855 on: July 22, 2018, 04:59:55 am »

Also, the Ekaterina is much faster than the intended targets of the ASM.

I actually haven't included UV reflective paint at this stage. How hard is it to make such a thing?

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6856 on: July 22, 2018, 05:23:24 am »

In case it wasn't obvious, I was talking about building a sub.

The biggest upsets to the game have always been ones that change the dynamic of warfare. Radio, Night Vision, Missiles, Sea Mines, Tiger Armour even. They all forced a completely new way of fighting, rather than just begin incrementally better than the last time.

Yet-Another-Plane mk12 does not do this. It is the next iteration of an already filled niche and will be susceptible to already existing countermeasures. Building a sub will force an all new set, and even the Ground Effect plane will as well.

Please stop making the same moves and lets force them onto the back foot.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #6857 on: July 22, 2018, 05:51:21 am »

I am afraid making a sub will do exactly that... and open a new can of worms, where we will be forced to spend a lot of designs on it to keep up with Cannalans, only to lose out anyway because >Cannalans and >ship-making experience, since that's APPARENTLY A LOT HARDER FOR US THAN FOR CANNALANS TO MAKE PLANES BUT OH WELL (remember the goddamn lander), and then be forever butt-blasted by their superior submarines.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6858 on: July 22, 2018, 06:39:00 am »

The Canners haven't built any subs either, so their only advantage would any transferable knowledge Sensei deems appropriate. Their general only gives a combat advantage I think.

Wizgrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6859 on: July 22, 2018, 06:42:38 am »

also the name
Quote from: Vote Box
UFAF-SNB-45 'Tubby Duckling' (1) : Madman
Microprocessors (0) :
UF-GEV-45 Ekaterina (5) : Andrea, Kot, NAV, RAM, Parsely
UFN-SS-45 Archer II (3) : Cnidaros, Kashyyk, Chiefwaffles
UFAF-JB-45 Hammer of Forenia (7): Zanzetkuken, eS, Happerry, Jilladilla, Taricus, Conscript Five, Wizgrot

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6860 on: July 22, 2018, 07:00:35 am »

You missed my vote there, mate.
Long Live United Forenia!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6861 on: July 22, 2018, 07:46:33 am »

Microprocessors (0) :
UF-GEV-45 Ekaterina (7) : Andrea, Kot, NAV, RAM, Parsely,Nuke, 10ebbor10
UFN-SS-45 Archer II (3) : Cnidaros, Kashyyk, Chiefwaffles
UFAF-JB-45 Hammer of Forenia (7): Zanzetkuken, eS, Happerry, Jilladilla, Taricus, Conscript Five, Wizgrot

Fixed?

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6862 on: July 22, 2018, 09:25:35 am »

whilst I still prefer the sub, the Ekaterina is a better choice than the Hammer.

Microprocessors (0) :
UF-GEV-45 Ekaterina (8) : Andrea, Kot, NAV, RAM, Parsely,Nuke, 10ebbor10, Kashyyk
UFN-SS-45 Archer II (2) : Cnidaros, Chiefwaffles

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6863 on: July 22, 2018, 10:48:09 am »

Yeah. This is why we get an Ekranoplane instead of a submarine, which is a really insanely hard thing to make.
I'd like the Hammer of Forenia more if it had some special things about it, and I'm still really fucking not convinced UV paint is going to do anything for a plane for the cost of added difficulty, while on Ekranoplane it'd probably be a considerable help.

Lun-class Ekranoplan: built 1987
Type VIIC U-boat: built 1940

How exactly is a submarine "insanely hard" while the ekranoplane isn't?
It's not only about date in history. Ekranoplanes exist, ground effect is widely known, we have way more experience with plane-like creations.
We have absolutely no fucking idea how to make submarines, and our experience in making ships is eh. I see the Ekranoplane still working on a bad roll, but the submarine on a bad roll is just a wasted design. If we were Cannalans, sure, they know how to make ships (and apparently planes, because they have everything), but you know.

The Soviet Union built the Lun-class after decades of experimenting with ekranoplanes and other ground-effect vehicles, and they weren't exactly slouches at the whole aircraft design thing either. And we already have passive sonar and diesel engines, so all that's left is to make the submarine hull and active sonar.

I would vote for the sub if it was armed with ASMs instead of torpedoes. Unguided torpedoes are super inaccurate and therefore ineffective, submerging is useless if you can't exploit the surprise and it would take many revision investments to make them good. If the design roll is good we'll be able to use the revision to improve ASMs (which also helps our surface vessels and missile development in general is good) and make them underwater launch capable.

Archer II is not ambitious enough and won't have an impact, Ekranoplane is overambitious and far too niche but at least entertaining.

On one side, people are saying the Archer is super hard, on the other people are saying it's too easy. I take it that that means it's a reasonable level. Also, unguided torpedoes are super inaccurate and therefore ineffective? I suppose WWII Britain had absolutely nothing to fear from those German u-boats then, must have been all exaggeration. Guess things like "leading your target" and trigonometry also don't exist in this universe either? FYI most of the Battle of the Atlantic was fought with unguided torpedoes. Plus, the Dolphins have magnetic detonators, which can turn a near miss into a hit.

I am afraid making a sub will do exactly that... and open a new can of worms, where we will be forced to spend a lot of designs on it to keep up with Cannalans, only to lose out anyway because >Cannalans and >ship-making experience, since that's APPARENTLY A LOT HARDER FOR US THAN FOR CANNALANS TO MAKE PLANES BUT OH WELL (remember the goddamn lander), and then be forever butt-blasted by their superior submarines.

Again, the Cannalans have literally nothing to counter a sub right now. We make it, we'll run rampant on the seas for next turn to land on the Plains. We have an advantage over them in sub-building because we already have passive sonar from the mine design. Also, quit salting up the thread over imagined Cannalan advantages/GM Bias, thanks. As noted by Kashyyk, the Cannalans have a bonus to sea combat, not inherently to ship design.

Continued Arguments for the Archer II:
-The Cannalans have nothing to counter it. I can't stress this enough. They have no means to detect a submerged sub, much less attack it. It's invulnerable to SAMs/ASMs. Instead of betting on whether our countermeasures will shoot down 10% or 90% of Cannalan missiles, let's just make it 100% by making a submarine. I don't believe the Ekaterina will be absolutely immune to missiles, no matter how many turrets you put on it.
-Metagaming. When we roll out the Archer II submarines, Cannala has to spend a design/revision to counter it. Best case is they spend a design on active sonar, worst case is they spend a revision on depth charges. Either way, whatever they develop to counter a torpedo sub will be ineffective against a missile sub, which operates at standoff ranges. End result, we have a good missile sub and sub experience, they've wasted an action on countering attack subs.
--And if they don't do that next turn, we have a double advantage of both missile+torpedo subs resulting in a solid Naval Advantage for keeping them off Vlanlados/reconquering the central lane.
-Introducing new elements is better than slight improvements on old ones. The Cannalans spent multiple designs/revisions on the MAGIC missiles, and it's paid off. They spent multiple designs/revisions on the Aswang, and it paid off. We have an opportunity to blindside Cannala by introducing a sub, and this could be the one area of naval design where we have the advantage.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #6864 on: July 22, 2018, 11:00:00 am »

Remember when we failed making a landing craft because we didin't have enough experience? Remember the first Archer? Yeah. We have no experience, Cannalans will make a fucking supercavitating submarine shooting guided torpedoes next turn.
Such are circles of bias.
Although I guess I could vote on a sub, if it was actually cool and had a good name.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6865 on: July 22, 2018, 11:30:59 am »

Remember when we failed making a landing craft because we didin't have enough experience? Remember the first Archer? Yeah. We have no experience, Cannalans will make a fucking supercavitating submarine shooting guided torpedoes next turn.
Such are circles of bias.
Although I guess I could vote on a sub, if it was actually cool and had a good name.

The lander was a revision, not a design, and it rolled a 2. It was also based off a cargo ship twenty years out of date. The Archer was our very first warship ever, when we actually did have no experience save for outdated cargo ship. If the gap between us and Cannalan was Literally Insurmountable, I don't see why we bothered making the Cataphract and Z-Carrier, or stealing the Vodka. Really, at this point you're just exaggerating for the sake of it. And unless you want to continue trying to win Naval Advantage from aircraft alone, which didn't exactly work for the first however many turns, we're going to have to make stuff for the navy. Just repeating that Cannala has the ship design advantage over and over is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6866 on: July 22, 2018, 11:35:16 am »

Ekranoplans are classified as ships and generally operated by the navy.

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6867 on: July 22, 2018, 11:44:54 am »

Ekranoplans are classified as ships and generally operated by the navy.

I don't really see what this is addressing, unless you're saying that building an ekranoplan now requires ship design experience.

While you're here, could you change the Ekaterina's wing planform? I assume you're basing it off an ekranoplan with rectangular, low aspect-ratio ("stubby") wings. Those are the simplest to make, and fine for operation in lakes and inland seas like the Caspian, but they suffer from inherent pitch instability that would probably require an all-moving tailplane and some form of autopilot to fly smoothly. For open ocean, you'll want a Lippisch-style design with anhedralled inverse delta wings, which retain the air cushion better and are longitudinally stable in ground effect.

Wizgrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6868 on: July 22, 2018, 12:36:40 pm »

After the bomber, I would be down getting a sub done. It is just that I would rather do a bomber to further conquer the Jungle theater then do a sub to fuck up Cannalans at the sea. Besides, we would get the UV reflecting paint, which would have Cannalans looking for yet another sensor for their missiles.

However, I have to concur that subs are a good idea, especialy when compared to ekranoplanes. Letīs not go down the Awesome but Impractical Cannalan School of Engineering shall we?

I would support a sub nex turn if the jet wins, although probably with a better name.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #6869 on: July 22, 2018, 12:50:22 pm »

I am against the ekarnoplane for many reasons, but the biggest is that it won't help in the jungle.
Pages: 1 ... 456 457 [458] 459 460 ... 500