Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 447 448 [449] 450 451 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 591866 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Spring 1944 (Revision Phase)
« Reply #6720 on: July 15, 2018, 06:51:45 am »

Our current RPG is from 1928.  The Speedbump lets our troops on the ground stand up against enemy armor, plus gives our paratroopers a way to do more damage beyond their current humble equipment loadouts.  I'm sure everyone remembers when Cannala put out the MURD-ER-43 and the profound effect it had; it was a major factor in the jungle and in the desert.  Currently their rocket launchers out range ours by 300% - or by 3,520%, if you count their radar-guided Hornet.
Which is why we should make a RPG design, not revision.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6721 on: July 15, 2018, 08:48:33 am »

Ironically, that's exactly what I think about the Garlic.  You're introducing new tech, revising two other designs, making another AFV variant, and insisting another version be installed fleet wide as a free retrofit.  How is that not a design action?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 09:31:12 am by ConscriptFive »

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #6722 on: July 15, 2018, 09:56:45 am »

Ironically, that's exactly what I think about the Garlic.  You're introducing new tech,
What? We're not?

revising two other designs, making another AFV variant,
We're putting something we already have on something we already have and adding something we already have into it. That should be really damn easy, so the only difficulty comes from the IR sensor, which again we already have, we just need to get it to rewire it a bit, but we can pretty much rip entire electronic system from the missiles.

and insisting another version be installed fleet wide as a free retrofit.  How is that not a design action?
The only reason why I want it installed on ships is because SENSEI KEEPS FUCKING FORGETTING ABOUT THAT REEEEEEE, and it's not even the fault of low rolls, since he had to be poked in Discord to even acknowledge that the SAM missile could maybe be put on ships. FUCKING LET US PUT THINGS ON SHIPS, ship refits were common as fuck. I agree we might not get it, but it's really something that won't be done on a low roll, rather than something that makes the revision not work.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6723 on: July 15, 2018, 01:00:11 pm »

For the record, while the Sewing Machine may be/is installed on ships, it's not really any good at targeting planes and the Cannalans don't attack your ships with helicopters regularly (or planes for that matter). Although, maybe I should tell the Cannalans their Buccaneer boats are getting trashed and they can't rely on them for torpedo delivery any more, that's probably gone on too long anyway. ;) But, that's a separate discussion. Anyway don't worry, I'll mention SAMs on boats so calm down y'all.

For a rule of thumb in general, your ships currently have a miscellany of weapons stuck in the spare deck space (autocannons mostly) and replacing those with something else that fits and isn't too expensive is usually fine.

As for the SPAAS Garlic, it doesn't strictly introduce much new technology, what you're mostly trying to do is hook an existing missile guidance system up to a gun that can be rotated and elevated by electric motors already. Not actually that hard but there's a risk of it being [complex] like the missile it's based on, you're still copying the IR system by rote with the first chemical compound you could figure out to do the job. Packing the radar into a salamander might be a challenge (it normally takes up a truck) worthy of a revision on its own though, so that would be quite difficult but you could still try.

That said I'll give the vote a little more time, since some people do want the speedbump. I just wanted to step in and say the Garlic isn't totally against the rules or anything.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #6724 on: July 15, 2018, 01:15:01 pm »

Our current RPG is from 1928.  The Speedbump lets our troops on the ground stand up against enemy armor, plus gives our paratroopers a way to do more damage beyond their current humble equipment loadouts.  I'm sure everyone remembers when Cannala put out the MURD-ER-43 and the profound effect it had; it was a major factor in the jungle and in the desert.  Currently their rocket launchers out range ours by 300% - or by 3,520%, if you count their radar-guided Hornet.
Which is why we should make a RPG design, not revision.
OK, I can get on board with this. But what kind of RPG design are you envisioning that would make it worth using a design action?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 01:20:40 pm by Parsely »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #6725 on: July 15, 2018, 01:24:47 pm »

-snip-
But what kind of RPG design are you envisioning that would make it worth using a design action?

None.

Other than an ATGM or Javilin-type guided rocket, there's no real design we can spend on a shoulder-mounted rocket.  And both of those types aren't any good in the jungle, due to the high amounts of soft cover that obscure target lines.  "A better rocket launcher" is firmly in the "Revision" catagory.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #6726 on: July 15, 2018, 01:26:47 pm »

-snip-
But what kind of RPG design are you envisioning that would make it worth using a design action?
ATGM or Javelin-type guided rocket
Pretty much. You don't need target lines if you have top-striking IR-guided rocket that drops onto enemy Bull tanks.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6727 on: July 15, 2018, 01:42:08 pm »

Garlic design was amended to address Sensei's post.
Namely, it wasn't clear that we would be using the cargo bay to house it all (swap 14 people carrying capacity for a radar)

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6728 on: July 15, 2018, 01:59:25 pm »

(7) UF-SPAAS-44-2 "Garlic": Andrea, Kot, Powder Miner, Cnidaros, Taricus, McHuman, NAV
(1) UF-LT-44 'Hayat': Madman
(0) UF-MCV-44 "Flails of Doom!" Mine clearing vehicle:
(4) UF-SMRL-44 "Speedbump": Conscript Five, Kashyyk, Parsely, eS
I have been convinced.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #6729 on: July 15, 2018, 02:16:11 pm »

ATGM or Javelin-type guided rocket
Pretty much. You don't need target lines if you have top-striking IR-guided rocket that drops onto enemy Bull tanks.
Top attack is made possible by high resolution video cameras and computer pattern recognition only possible with digital computers, all in a package small enough to fit in a missile. Obviously this isn't possible with our current technology and it's not filling the intended role of a cheap, easy to use, man-portable, anti-tank missile. Certainly an idea that justifies itself as a design action though...

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #6730 on: July 15, 2018, 02:24:07 pm »

Top attack is made possible by high resolution video cameras and computer pattern recognition only possible with digital computers, all in a package small enough to fit in a missile. Obviously this isn't possible with our current technology and it's not filling the intended role of a cheap, easy to use, man-portable, anti-tank missile. Certainly an idea that justifies itself as a design action though...
Step 1: Shoot missile into the sky.
Step 2: Have IR sensor on a timer.
Step 3: Missile scans the ground and locks onto an target, which will probably be a Bull.
Step 4: ? ? ?
Step 5: PROFIT!

FOR FUTURE REFERENCE I BLAME THE REVISION ON PIRATEJOE AND PARTIALLY ANDREA.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 03:07:30 pm by Kot »

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6731 on: July 15, 2018, 03:02:33 pm »

...so a guided mortar round now?

Um, ok.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #6732 on: July 15, 2018, 03:13:52 pm »

...so a guided mortar round now?

Um, ok.
That's not a bad idea actually! We could add in that the rocket can also be fired from our mortars, considering that in reality they're pretty much rocket launchers anyway.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Spring 1944 (Design Phase)
« Reply #6733 on: July 15, 2018, 03:16:14 pm »

Quote from: UF-SPAAS-44-2 "Garlic"
Garlic is a revision of the Sewing Machine, and accomplishes few things. First off, it takes the now decomplexified (plane-sized small, if neccessary) radar and shoves it into THE REAR CARGO SPACE OF Salamander, and then puts an Sewing Machine turret in the place of Salamander's one, linking the two, and possibly having a front and side armour plate to allow the gun to be used more effectively against ground targets. Aditionally, an pptional IR sensor similar to the one found on the missiles is also added to the turret, and looks for strong sources of IR radiation, such as enemy night vision lamps. When one is spotted, alert is sounded in the cabin, and the gun is aimed towards the source, in a manner very similar to how the guidance on the missiles work - if the target is off on X axis, it rotates the turret, if it's off on Y axis, it elevates the gun accordingy. After the gun is aimed, the gunner can decide wether to shoot or not. Essentially, if he doesn't see any sources of visible light, it means shoot, because he's probably looking at a source of invisible infrared radiation, which is most commonly found as Cannalan infrared spotlights. Of course, the sensor can be turned off, so it doesn't aim onto the sun at day or take over the gun controls when the gunner doesn't want it to. A version of this system (sans the IR even, just the gun and the radar) should be put on the ships, to aid in their AA capabilities (SENSEI PLEASE NOTICE OUR SHIPS).

Hard: 4
UF-SPAAS-44-2 "Garlic":
IR Variant: [Expensive], Regular: [Cheap] The Garlic is a Salamander with a Sewing Machine turret- plus a few extra features. It has a small amount of medium armor around the moving parts. For aircraft awareness, it has a reduced-sized Deadliest Ray radar similar to that found in planes, with a rotating radome. The other notable feature is a sensor based on the Piracy Warning, which when turned on detects infrared light sources near the vehicle and rotates the gun towards them automatically, hopefully homing in on IR lamps used in Cannalan night vision, or helicopter exhaust. Like the truck mounted version the turret is more sluggish than what would be ideal. Almost all of the passenger space is occupied by radar-related systems (including a radar operator seat) and much larger ammo bins for the quad-mount 30mm turret. [Complex] If equipped with the IR sensor system. [5 Ore, 3 Oil]
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 03:22:19 pm by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Spring 1944 (Strategy Phase)
« Reply #6734 on: July 15, 2018, 03:25:55 pm »

Right. That went well enough. Time for a vote.

Quote from: Strategy Box
Tereshkova: (1) Jilladilla
Forenian Jungle: (1) Jilladilla
Titan:

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me
Pages: 1 ... 447 448 [449] 450 451 ... 500