Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 444 445 [446] 447 448 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 590747 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Spring 1944 (Revision Phase)
« Reply #6675 on: July 13, 2018, 07:09:56 pm »

The Armadillo is Medium RHA, vulnerable to 40mm cannon fire. Everything else, well, there's only so much we can do. A light tank would be aiming to blow all those things up before it gets blown up, anyway. Though I'll make the standard mention of "has identical protection scheme to the Salamander" (slats and ERA).

I think I'll stick with the T-25 chassis for now. It's got the best bet at air-portability, and is smaller than the Bjorn by word of Sensei (in Discord). If this gets chosen and it underperforms, a simple future revision could install the Bjorn's engine in the chassis or something.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6676 on: July 13, 2018, 07:12:22 pm »

The MAT26-50, a tank destroyer based on the T-25 is air portable. Only real difference is the turret.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 07:18:06 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6677 on: July 13, 2018, 07:15:20 pm »

Excellent. Truly excellent. Now we could have an actual armored division dropping behind enemy lines as well as the Salamanders and infantrymen.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6678 on: July 13, 2018, 07:23:05 pm »

What about updating our RPG?  It's pre-PAROI and pre-scope.  Nothing says jungle warfare like an RPG ambush.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6679 on: July 13, 2018, 07:24:32 pm »

Agreed with that C5, a better fuel mix and a larger warhead shouldn't be that hard to do.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #6680 on: July 13, 2018, 07:35:24 pm »

I'm still somewhat partial to the anti-night vision idea, but a good RPG which is even more like an ATGM (maybe make a reuseable launcher and either dumb rockets, IR guided rockets for Bulls or like, radar guided magical rockets? That could be a design), but I think the anti-NV might be more useful in short term, since enemy tanks will probably get fucked by our air force right now.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #6681 on: July 13, 2018, 07:36:38 pm »

UF-SMRL-44 "Speedbump"

The United Forenian Shoulder Mounted Rocket Launcher "Speedbump" is an improved version of our previous RPG (AS-RPG28 A), which is showing its age when compared to Cannala munitions.

The Speedbump is essentially a tube with handles and sights attached.  The rocket is rear-loaded and features fold-out fins for in-flight stability.  The warhead is a heavy-duty HEAT charge for punching through enemy armor and spraying molten copper into the internals.  The rocket spins in flight to maintain stability and holds a more or less line-of-sight trajectory.  The Speedbump has improved rocketry over the AS-RPG28 A thanks to several years of rocket design and has an effective range of 300 meters.

At 5 kg's, the Speedbump is light enough to be air-dropped with a paratrooper...assuming they're alright with forgoing a few other pieces of equipment.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6682 on: July 13, 2018, 07:38:50 pm »

The problem is attempting to make the hardest (by FAR the hardest) part of an IR system in a single revision, or, probably worse, attempting to reverse-engineer the Cannalan system, which will be Hard and [Complex] even if we succeed.

Obviously I'm still in favor of adding a new dimension to warfare. Having a light tank would make APCs less useful, because they can't compete in the scouting and recon roles, and generally become less useful as flanking vehicles and any other uses you can come up with for light tanks.

A new RPG is nice, but it's going to be less effective than a 40mm gunned light tank :P. Besides, our air support, as mentioned by Kot, is probably going to be having a free run at every single Cannalan vehicle. Woe be to them if they try to push the desert when we just established total air dominance. There's no cover for them in the desert.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6683 on: July 13, 2018, 07:40:53 pm »

You can give every squad an RPG.

You can't give every squad a tank.

Besides, their RPG has been an issue for a while now, and our troops don't really have a good way of dealing with enemy armor any more (unless you count the HKMKII, and that's not a OHKO)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6684 on: July 13, 2018, 07:42:14 pm »

Why not give every squad a tank? It'd be a Cheap light tank, after all. No reason you can't literally hand one to every squad if that's what's necessary. Regardless, there's no real sense in making a new RPG when next turn we could literally produce a 1940s version of the Javelin if we wanted to.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6685 on: July 13, 2018, 07:45:24 pm »

There's plenty of aerial cover in the jungle, which could hide a target from a javelin.  It would be better as a line-of-sight weapon.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #6686 on: July 13, 2018, 07:57:27 pm »

I think we should emphasize on the advantages we have. While I predict Cannalans will make an ASM since they probably were reeeing very hard about losing the naval advantage, we have a SAM and possibly AA batteries to deal with that.
The SAM will give us uncontested air to deal with their vehicles, and while their infantry weaponry is still a thing, I think the night vision is the biggest tipping point in their favour. We need to at least deny them it's usage. The Garlic in AA version is essentially that, and also might help unfucking the Sewing Machine a bit.

Of course we might roll a 1 on it and not achieve much anyway, but eh.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6687 on: July 13, 2018, 08:09:17 pm »

The problem is if we're fighting in the Desert, NV won't help as much as a good rocket launcher.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6688 on: July 13, 2018, 08:19:09 pm »

I still contest that neither NV nor a rocket launcher will do as much good as a light tank using an automatic cannon capable of killing their MBTs, and capable of absolute murder against their Armadillo tanks. Oh, and it'll kill helos, if they somehow get past our new rocket-powered defensive network.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #6689 on: July 13, 2018, 08:25:05 pm »

The problem is if we're fighting in the Desert, NV won't help as much as a good rocket launcher.
It probably will. Remember, if they can fight at night while we can't, they're getting ~50% more fighting time.

I still contest that neither NV nor a rocket launcher will do as much good as a light tank using an automatic cannon capable of killing their MBTs,
So will the AA Garlic, not to mention that as I said, their vehicles should be dealt with by our air force at least now. This revision should be dedicated to something that deals with things we can't deal with at all, like the NV.

and capable of absolute murder against their Armadillo tanks. Oh, and it'll kill helos, if they somehow get past our new rocket-powered defensive network.
So will the Garlic.
Pages: 1 ... 444 445 [446] 447 448 ... 500