Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 398 399 [400] 401 402 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 592693 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Winter 1943 (Design Phase)
« Reply #5985 on: May 13, 2018, 02:29:08 am »

Having a quick an easy way to deploy mines and other munitions would allow us to finally dominate the ground
How effective would this be in the mountains?
The REAL question is how effective it would be in the desert, and I think the answer to that is "not anywhere near enough".

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5986 on: May 13, 2018, 03:20:04 am »

I would have thought it to be quite effective in deserts. It allows one to inhibit mobility in no-mans-land without actually walking there. Deserts tend to be composed of no-mans-land because walking over them is a pain, but people still do it if it means sneaking up behind someone.

Can we get a description of the type of terrains that are being considered in desert and mountain territories and the current approach to combat in these regions? Like.. "the featureless void has battles in open areas with flat ground. Soldiers here fight by forming square formations and marching steadily at opposing forces, stopping to fire every couple of minutes.".
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5987 on: May 13, 2018, 03:46:28 am »

Perhaps we should design a Self-Propelled Gun? They wont do so well in mountains, but their mobility compared to a towed gun should lend well to deserts and tundra.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5988 on: May 13, 2018, 12:23:17 pm »

I think it'd be best if we worked towards our air superiority problem, and then cheapened our RADARs in a revision. We're going to need to counteract the loss of air superiority pretty quickly.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Olith McHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5989 on: May 13, 2018, 02:44:35 pm »

RDN-43 "Mini Death Ray Emitter and Detector"

A smaller version of the Deadliest Ray, intended to be small enough to be fighter mountable. For the most part it can only provide detailed information in the forwards direction, but features an "on your six" detector on the back. It also includes a passive listen mode for Cannalan radar signals, and should be able to pick these up before Cannalan radars can see the return signal. In addition, the Fair Fight is updated to jam Cannalan radar frequencies. Such jamming will likely be easy to detect, but will deny them detailed target info in combat. Sacrifices to range and general performance will be made as necessary to reduce complexity.

Wizgrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5990 on: May 13, 2018, 03:08:41 pm »

Quote from: Designs
(2) UF-GALT-43 "Last Chance": eS, Wizgrot

It will help us at land and sea. What is not to like?

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5991 on: May 13, 2018, 03:55:15 pm »

I like the last chance. But WTF is a destroyer medium tank? That should probably be changed to say AS-T33 and/or T2 Breaker, our expensive and cheap tanks.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #5992 on: May 13, 2018, 04:01:10 pm »

I like the last chance. But WTF is a destroyer medium tank? That should probably be changed to say AS-T33 and/or T2 Breaker, our expensive and cheap tanks.

Ah, I mis-remembered the Breaker as Destroyer.  I'll fix that, and add it to the t33 too.

I've also specified that it makes use of our 100 mm cannon, to automatically up-gun our older tanks.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 04:03:47 pm by evictedSaint »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5993 on: May 13, 2018, 04:20:30 pm »

An autoloader isn't going to help us push into the jungle. Hell if I know where the cannalans sudden competence there came from given that AT warfare isn't particular important to jungle warfare and we're now able to airdrop flamethrower salamanders.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5994 on: May 13, 2018, 04:21:36 pm »

Hmmm, upgunning 75mm T33 to 100mm? Maybe. Upgunning our 40mm T2 Breaker to 100mm? Without increasing cost or descreasing performance? I doubt it.

Also, why the hell have we not replaced the T2 Breaker with the AS-T25? It's about 20km/h faster and has a 10mm bigger gun. The T25's only disadvantage compared to the Breaker is a slower firing gun and slower rotating turret, which the Last Chance would fix. I know they're legacy gear, but it's still the bulk of our tank fleet and we need every advantage we can get in the desert. ES, could you please including replacing the T2 Breaker with the T25 and upgrading that instead in your design?
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5995 on: May 13, 2018, 04:22:24 pm »

Mostly because the breaker was cheaper, and by the time it could be replaced the T-33 was more or less being the replacement.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5996 on: May 13, 2018, 04:23:10 pm »

Well now is the right time then. Because Breaker is cheap, T25 is cheap, and T33 is expensive.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5997 on: May 13, 2018, 04:24:09 pm »

An autoloader isn't going to help us push into the jungle. Hell if I know where the cannalans sudden competence there came from given that AT warfare isn't particular important to jungle warfare and we're now able to airdrop flamethrower salamanders.
Sensei pretty clearly stated that the battle on Tereshkova Island will take place in the Desert this turn. Presumably if we win said battle, we push into the Jungle despite most fighting happening in the Desert.
Long Live United Forenia!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #5998 on: May 13, 2018, 04:25:16 pm »

Combat is in the desert this turn anyways.

The reason they're winning in the jungle is because they have the most powerful RPG in existence and an air advantage.

Hmmm, upgunning 75mm T33 to 100mm? Maybe. Upgunning our 40mm T2 Breaker to 100mm? Without increasing cost or descreasing performance? I doubt it.

So what if it increases cost or decreases performance?  It's not like we're using it in the first place, and a 40 mm isn't going to do anything useful.  At worst it gets bumped up to Expensive and can still put holes in Cannala's Very Expensive Bulls.

Also, why the hell have we not replaced the T2 Breaker with the AS-T25? It's about 20km/h faster and has a 10mm bigger gun. The T25's only disadvantage compared to the Breaker is a slower firing gun and slower rotating turret, which the Last Chance would fix. I know they're legacy gear, but it's still the bulk of our tank fleet and we need every advantage we can get in the desert. ES, could you please including replacing the T2 Breaker with the T25 and upgrading that instead in your design?

Sure, I'll add the T25.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 04:27:27 pm by evictedSaint »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5999 on: May 13, 2018, 04:33:54 pm »

Hence we need to nullify their air advantage. I mean their AT advantage means little if we have an armour advantage entirely.
Pages: 1 ... 398 399 [400] 401 402 ... 500