Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 592617 times)

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Spring 1940 (Design Phase)
« Reply #3315 on: June 06, 2017, 11:58:21 am »

As does the Zheleznogorod. Reducing their naval advantage would be powerful, yet unlikely now that they've got their own carrier-based jets.

United Forenia Forever!

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3316 on: June 06, 2017, 12:01:30 pm »

"It's impossible!" "No, Azzuro, it's necessary." (No Time For Caution plays)
Look, their major naval advantage is completely beating the hell out of us, and now that the islands have solidified and there isn't any mid island combat, we NEED to work on that navy, we just don't have any other good strategic choice, especially because of how their major naval advantage is hammering our TC.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3317 on: June 06, 2017, 12:01:55 pm »

Also, Sensei sort of said that it is possible to design a plane that both acts as bomber and as TC.

Sensei - today 18:50
Also 2 TC by air is going to be harder to get than 2 TC by sea, you're probably going to need an outright larger plane
But you could have it also be a bomber or whatever

so, an idea for next turn.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3318 on: June 06, 2017, 12:02:26 pm »

Eh, wouldn't be so sure about that.

It may be closer than you think. In both Winter and Summer 1939 they had only a basic Naval advantage.

Then again, that was before they got their carrier.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 12:06:21 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3319 on: June 06, 2017, 12:10:44 pm »

I think it's obvious that coastal artillery isn't going to reduce their naval advantage since it's a static weapon, but it will go a long way towards hodling off an invasion. Without air superiority they'll have a hard time knocking out artillery positions.

Hey, the carrier isn't too bad, and the ressources bonus will help tremendously. I think priority now are
The rocket catapult was the most avoidable bug that has ever existed.

Range+miniaturization is a design.  Doing it in a revision would require two revisions.
Is that Sensei's ruling?

We could jet-engine the Reckless for an extra TC and greater para-trooper ability, though that would need to be a next-turn thing.
Can't we use the revision to jet-engine the Reckless and in the process decomplexify it? I thought that was how designs became un-complex, by getting experience with them by implementing them.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3320 on: June 06, 2017, 12:13:26 pm »

A revision to the reckless will probably not be enough to get more TC, see my previous post

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3321 on: June 06, 2017, 12:14:00 pm »

Yeah.

The entire point of the ski ramps on the carrier was so that jets and bombers could take of without any catapult, but instead they got stuck having to use an extremely bad catapult.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3322 on: June 06, 2017, 12:14:26 pm »

Lets make a zeppelin.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3323 on: June 06, 2017, 12:15:46 pm »

Range+miniaturization is a design.  Doing it in a revision would require two revisions.
Is that Sensei's ruling?
I believe it's an empirical observation, going off of our historical radar work.

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3324 on: June 06, 2017, 12:18:22 pm »

Eh, wouldn't be so sure about that.

It may be closer than you think. In both Winter and Summer 1939 they had only a basic Naval advantage.

Then again, that was before they got their carrier.

Yeah, when we were bombing and torpedoing and strafing their ships unopposed (well, except for AAA). Now, their carrier is slightly inferior to the Z, so we need to work our way up to the Khorne to be absolutely assured of bringing the naval battle to Even, so maybe a better destroyer + light or crappy cruiser to work them down to Basic Advantage?

I think it's obvious that coastal artillery isn't going to reduce their naval advantage since it's a static weapon, but it will go a long way towards hodling off an invasion. Without air superiority they'll have a hard time knocking out artillery positions.

Hey, the carrier isn't too bad, and the ressources bonus will help tremendously. I think priority now are

Is that Sensei's ruling?

We could jet-engine the Reckless for an extra TC and greater para-trooper ability, though that would need to be a next-turn thing.
Can't we use the revision to jet-engine the Reckless and in the process decomplexify it? I thought that was how designs became un-complex, by getting experience with them by implementing them.

Yeah, coastal artillery that outranges the Khornes would put the Jungle on lockdown, especially as we'll have the land-based air advantage.

The rocket catapult was Forenian as hell, don't complain about it.

Regarding jet enginising the Reckless, andrea's quote was a reply to a discussion between me and eS on whether that would be enough to push it to 2 TC, stating that switching to jets alone would not do it. I was advocating for doing a medium/heavy jet bomber as a design then using the revision to make a cargo/paratransport variant.

United Forenia Forever!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3325 on: June 06, 2017, 12:21:21 pm »

To be fair, the way sensei said it we might be able to design a TC variant even within the design itself, without needing a revision.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3326 on: June 06, 2017, 12:22:36 pm »

It's how it worked in the old game, but I'm not certain that's still the case.

Someone should go bug Sensei about it.

Yeah, coastal artillery that outranges the Khornes would put the Jungle on lockdown, especially as we'll have the land-based air advantage.

Don't forget that their landing craft is actually a big converted ironclad from which they stripped the armor. Slow, vulnerable and easily destroyed.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3327 on: June 06, 2017, 12:35:36 pm »

It's how it worked in the old game, but I'm not certain that's still the case.

Someone should go bug Sensei about it.

Don't forget that their landing craft is actually a big converted ironclad from which they stripped the armor. Slow, vulnerable and easily destroyed.
Especially when you are throwing twice the calibre of anything they have at it.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3328 on: June 06, 2017, 12:46:24 pm »

On a side note, does any know where Sensei actually specified that we can't build big cannons and a ship at the same time? I can't find it.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3329 on: June 06, 2017, 01:11:53 pm »

Those landers had better be REALLY slow, or the gun won't hardly do anything.

Whatever we do, we NEED to cheapen our jet as much as possible. If we designed a new aerial transport, could we squeeze the TC we need? Remember, it'd be relatively easy to slap jet engines on an enlarged Reckless, capable of dropping paratroopers and moving cargo.

Ebbor, we CAN do both, but it'd raise out difficulty even more. We're looking at Hard, minimum, because we're building a gun "more than double the size of previous guns" etc.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 500