Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 592534 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Winter 1940 (Design Phase)
« Reply #3000 on: May 31, 2017, 01:05:50 pm »

I feel we ought to close off new designs and require people to list secondary preferences, as we've got three very clear, hotly debated leaders.

That way we'll know what everyone's actual preferred design is, because so far the leader is winning with barely a third of the total votes.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3001 on: May 31, 2017, 01:08:33 pm »

Quote from: Sensei - 05/05/2017
Downsizing guns is usually no problem unless some specific feature is hard to miniaturize.
Just for everyone in the thread in regards to the cannon design. Via this we can indeed downsize the 300mm gun for use by light cruisers and destroyers.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3002 on: May 31, 2017, 01:11:49 pm »

No please no secondary votes. It gets messed up and not-majority-favoring far too quickly.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3003 on: May 31, 2017, 01:13:01 pm »

No please no secondary votes. It gets messed up and not-majority-favoring far too quickly.

In fact the opposite. It'll make it painfully clear which the majority favoured design is.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3004 on: May 31, 2017, 01:14:05 pm »

I would rather not mess around with secondary voting, please.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3005 on: May 31, 2017, 01:22:35 pm »

Secondary voting is terrible in this, let's not have another 200 post argument but about designs instead of alliances
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #3006 on: May 31, 2017, 01:38:55 pm »

I'm pretty sure we should close off the coastal gun, then.  We have twice as many votes for a carrier than we do for a gun.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3007 on: May 31, 2017, 01:52:45 pm »

I think we should close of the Tiger Star.

We have twice as many votes for something that is not the Tiger Star than for the Tiger Star.

Quote from: Votes
(7) B3 'Compensator' 300mm Coastal Gun/Naval Cannon: Kashyyk, khan boyzitbig, Taricus, strongpoint, Nav, 10ebbor10, Baffler
(0) UFS-CV-40 'Tiger Star', Pattern A:
(8+1) UFS-CV-40 'Tiger Star', Pattern C: GUNINANRUNIN, Kashyyk*, Stabby, Madman198237, helmacon, McHuman, voidslayer, 3_14159, evictedSaint
(0) UFS-CV-40 'Tiger Star', Pattern D:
(9+1) UFS-CV-40 Zheleznogorod B: Kot, Mulisa, Azzuro, NUKE9.13, Piratejoe, Sheb, Powder Miner, Andrea, Aedel, NAV*
0 "Killerqueen":
0 Unity Tiger Armor:
1 "Salad Shake" class heavy transport: RAM
0+1 "Psyche" fake carrier and real transport: RAM*

Including secundary votes in the primary vote count is misleading.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 01:55:14 pm by 10ebbor10 »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #3008 on: May 31, 2017, 02:10:44 pm »

I agree.  Let's close off the Tiger Star and the 300 mm coastal gun and go with the Zheleznogorod.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3009 on: May 31, 2017, 02:15:09 pm »

I'll switch to the gun if the design is adapted to be usable as movable siege artillery, and not only as fixed. I'd like it to be moving a bit with the frontline.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3010 on: May 31, 2017, 02:16:35 pm »

....No, because that's ridiculously biased of everyone not voting for that design.

How about, instead, we close off the extraneous, voteless Tiger Star versions. And the other things with less than 2 votes, and then do a runoff of the three highest designs. This is not biased, because none of those options, at this point, can possibly win.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3011 on: May 31, 2017, 02:26:36 pm »

How about, instead, we close off the extraneous, voteless Tiger Star versions. And the other things with less than 2 votes, and then do a runoff of the three highest designs. This is not biased, because none of those options, at this point, can possibly win.
Ugh, the old "wasted vote on minor party" argument... How can you people think that this is a sensible way to vote?
And they can totally win, big shifts have happened before. Really, All that I need to do is to point out that we really can't decide on which carrier we want, but once we have a transport all ready to be converted we will know more about the design considerations and there will be more pressure for people to vote for finishing the carrier project than starting the cruiser project... At present, if we had all the gun people vote for their favourite of the carriers instead, then we would probably have a consensus...

And there is the simple fact that nobody seems to realise that making a ship that big is a design itself. If you want catapults and overhanging decks and sturdy launch-ramps and off-set engines and whatever else on top of that then it is clearly going to be an impossible design. Not to mention that there are all sorts of ways to make great use of our extra fuel with revisions if we only had the transport capacity... Really, we can afford to make a transport this turn, and we will need it eventually, and if we can theoretically get 2 transport from a plane, then we ought to be able to get 5 from a big ship...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3012 on: May 31, 2017, 03:23:48 pm »

And this is why I suggest we have secondary/tertiary plus votes.

Hell, why not have everyone have a maximum of one less votes than the number of designs, limited to one vote per design? Sure, we'd end up with tons of votes everywhere, but we'd be able to see which designs are generally preferred.

As it stands there is no way for someone to express that they want Option 2 over Option 3, if Option 1 doesn't get through.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3013 on: May 31, 2017, 03:41:23 pm »

I know that a preferential system would be too much bureaucracy to work in an informal setting like this, but I came up with somethign simpler that ought to work ell. We just give everyone one whole vote and two half votes, with the obvious disclaimer that they can only apply one of these to any given project. It still forces people to choose their most favourite, which greatly mitigates elevating the risk of ties, but lets people also support something else if they want to, and a full vote is just one vote so if people don't want to use the system then they just don't, and stick with their single whole vote with no great disadvantage. It does clutter the vote chart a little, but it is still just a simple list, so there is nothing in that which seems untenable to me... It is still much less than a full preferential system but it manages to be better than first-past-the-post(not that that is actually a compliment) while still being so simple that it is actually compatible with people choosing to use F.P.P. nonsense regardless.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3014 on: May 31, 2017, 03:48:20 pm »

All of these voting system shifts smack to me of something designed to shift the voting mechanism so that a different decision is reached, as it was before. Let's just keep a normal vote, but exclude comeitionals because those ARE completely fucky
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 500