Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 591695 times)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Spring 1939 (Revision Phase)
« Reply #2070 on: May 18, 2017, 10:32:36 am »

I like the Bogdanov, but we are falling behind Cannala.  Our comms were a major factor in our ground superiority, and the fact that they've been upgrading it means they're chipping away at that major advantage.  We are currently inferior to Cannala in communications at the moment, and if we ignore it we'll just keep backsliding. 

Besides, building rockets is more of a design than a revision.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: May 18, 2017, 11:58:21 am »

Our comms were a major factor in our ground superiority, and the fact that they've been upgrading it means they're chipping away at that major advantage.
Were is the key word. We should accept the fact and seek advantages in other areas. This radio revision will not bring the major advantage back.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: May 18, 2017, 12:05:12 pm »

Letting our advantages dissolve away is the reason we're seven territories behind.  The goal of this revision is not to "get it back", but to instead prevent Cannala from taking it.

I feel as though you're discounting the ability to quickly and securely call in CAS far too easily.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: May 18, 2017, 12:12:06 pm »

Quote from: votes
Tigers Roar: (6) evictedSaint, Piratejoe, Stabby, Powder Miner, Kot, Happerry
High-Octane Airplane Fuel: (0)
HEIAP Rounds: (1) Lightforger
Infantry QoL: (3) NUKE9.13, Kashyyk, NAV
UF-AGR-39 "Bogdanov": (3) Azzuro, voidslayer,Funk
C3 advantage for the win.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: May 18, 2017, 12:13:08 pm »

Letting our advantages dissolve away is the reason we're seven territories behind.  The goal of this revision is not to "get it back", but to instead prevent Cannala from taking it.

I feel as though you're discounting the ability to quickly and securely call in CAS far too easily.
We're only three territories behind. -1 top lane, 2 middle lane, 2 bottom lane = 3.

Anyway. I don't hate doing radio. It will help us in most theatres, to varying degrees. I'd rather do something they wouldn't expect, though.
Long Live United Forenia!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: May 18, 2017, 12:46:45 pm »

Cannala has 30 sections, we have 23.

You're counting how many we need to break even, which I admit is a valid method since territories simply transfer from one side to another.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 12:53:13 pm by evictedSaint »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2076 on: May 18, 2017, 12:48:08 pm »

I'd rather do something they wouldn't expect, though.
I don't see what practical difference it makes if they expect us to improve radios or not.

Tigers Roar: (7) evictedSaint, Piratejoe, Stabby, Powder Miner, Kot, Happerry, GUNINANRUNIN
Infantry QoL: (3) NUKE9.13, Kashyyk, NAV

Mulisa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: May 18, 2017, 01:13:17 pm »

Tigers Roar: (7) evictedSaint, Piratejoe, Stabby, Powder Miner, Kot, Happerry, GUNINANRUNIN
Infantry QoL: (4) NUKE9.13, Kashyyk, NAV, Mulisa
We're being pushed back in the jungle for the first time since forever. I think we should bolster our boots on the ground, so I'll vote for Infantry QoL.

Had we the luxury of trying out shenanigans this turn I'd probably suggest a plane mounted radio/microwave transmitter that operates on the same frequency as Cannalan radars, that'd let a few planes mimic a swarm of hundreds of bombers on their radar.
...so my military were a bunch of bearded mud wrestlers.
Send in the plague kittens!

Glory to Forenia!

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: May 18, 2017, 01:42:21 pm »

Tigers Roar: (8 ) evictedSaint, Piratejoe, Stabby, Powder Miner, Kot, Happerry, GUNINANRUNIN, 3_14159
Infantry QoL: (4) NUKE9.13, Kashyyk, NAV, Mulisa
Not so  much for the CAS coordination but for the artillery coordination. Also, experience with electronics.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Spring 1939 (Design Phase)
« Reply #2079 on: May 18, 2017, 02:30:49 pm »

Eh...powder is right.  We should get paratrooper capable radios.

Revision: UF-R4-39 'Tigers Roar'
The Radio has been consolidated down to a single easy-to-carry backpack.  By default the radio can communicate unencrypted, but encrypted comms channels requires the operator to input a password between four and ten digits long.  The only significant change besides the reduced side is converting the encryption from text to voice.  The encryption used Paired-Bases for passwords; the password is used as a base to scramble the output of the radio, and the same password is used to decipher the output message.  This allows the encryption code to be changed quickly and easily.  The radio is also attuned to FM frequencies rather than AM, to gain better range and quality.

The main priority is scaling down to back-pack size, followed by FM radio, followed by the voice encryption.

Considering how much time we've sunk into the RADAR, these shouldn't be especially difficult changes, I don't think...my reasoning is that decreasing the size should be trivial or easy, so we should attempt to improve our comms encryption ability as well.  We have plenty of experience with radiowaves and electronics at this point, and this tech already exists.

Having done some reading, I think that in retrospect decreasing your size is the best you can hope to do with a revision. During this time (including among nations with advanced radar) encrypted voice is extremely novel.

Very Hard: 5
UF-R4-39 'Tigers Roar':
This dramatically named radio is very similar to the Model 3, but fits in a single backpack and supports voice or morse over FM. When communicating in morse code, it can be attached to a separate Tiger's Whisper machine for coded messages.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Spring 1939 (Strategy Phase)
« Reply #2080 on: May 18, 2017, 02:38:22 pm »

Well, you shouldn't even need to ask what our strategy is this turn.

Attack the Jungle: (1) NUKE9.13
Attack Mutriqa (Small desert island): (1) NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: May 18, 2017, 02:40:39 pm »

>Sweats nervously

Well, that could have gone very poorly.  I think...that maybe...I should stop coming up with revisions...

Also, we're not really "attacking" Mutriqa, since there's nothing to attack.  We're just...kinda...claimimg it.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 03:00:04 pm by evictedSaint »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2082 on: May 18, 2017, 02:51:05 pm »

Attack the Jungle: (2) NUKE9.13, GUNINANRUNIN
Attack Mutriqa (Small desert island): (2) NUKE9.13, GUNINANRUNIN

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: May 18, 2017, 02:55:19 pm »

Honestly, eS, none of us thought it could end up "very hard".

Of course, as it's a single backpack, it should now be paratrooper-portable. We have communications. Now, next turn, could we try revising a Salamander into an air-portable form (Is it now? I'm not sure whether or not it technically fits into a Reckless...) so the paratroopers have Raider-killing 20mm fire support. Next turn: 30mm autocannon for design? We could lump some novel types of ammunition in with it, get it fitted into the Haast and Salamander. We'd be set for life as far as killing light armor goes.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: May 18, 2017, 03:01:40 pm »

the salamander is built as a tank and with enough space for 14 people... I really doubt it can fir in the reckless.
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 500