Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 592022 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Winter 1939 (Strategy Phase)
« Reply #1935 on: May 17, 2017, 03:07:10 am »

AS-SS1935X, Arstotzka's space capsule launched a few years ago, has disappeared. On May 3rd, 1939, it passed behind the moon and did not return. It is debated among astronomers whether its orbit has decayed and it has impacted the moon, or if its path has finally left lunar orbit and it evaded the observation of anyone who was looking for it. It is also hotly debated whether this is a natural decay of orbit or it was acted upon by an outside force, perhaps colliding with a space-rock.
Hey! That sounds familiar!
Around [the early half of the 1940's] the Department of Stars and the Department of Space Flight detected the AS-SS1935X going behind the moon on its orbital path, but not coming back around.  At the time, it was believed it had been struck by a meteorite and crashed into the moon.  With the last remnants of Arstotzka lost, there was either mourning or celebration, depending upon which side of the continent the person was from.
Clearly we must now prepare for alien invaders.

..But seriously:
So I'd say we definitely need new armor for our design this turn. Something amphibious to work in the jungle, at least. For our revision, we should see if we can make the Haast able to launch from the Wasp to help at sea and just in general.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Winter 1939 (Strategy Phase)
« Reply #1936 on: May 17, 2017, 03:12:06 am »

A design was found, neatly filed in the design bureau, though its source is unknown. The final page features iconography attributed to the "A Guano of Anarchists" group. The first page, may mercy be upon us all, is as follows...
ANY-AG-1939 "Bunny Hop" "Very Sane, Much Chronistic, So Not-a-meme" "Viperslay Deathwing Nightstrike" "Stop Bing Silly" "Kilroy was here" "Bunny Hop is the Jive!"
Dissatisfied with engines. The treacherous things stick out like sore thumbs! Everyone shoots them... Sure we need power, but why engines? NO MORE ENGINES!!!
Where does power come from... Steam Turbines! Ugh, not enough steam... Eh, lets just not use water, plenty of air up there... Umm, make it thicker?
Rockets! They never thought to put a rocket IN it!!! ha!
{Many indecipherable scratches...}
I present within a wonderous thing:
 A pair of liquid rockets down the length combined with small intake pipes(sealable for take-off) feed two gas turbines(With a central cooling shaft to provide air to centrally-mounted heat-sinks.) which send their exhaust out of tubes along-the length, some of which will be mechanically blocked to assist turning. These turbines power six electric motors along the wings which drive the six propellors and are backed by six smoke dispensors for tactical smoke-deployment. This creates a hybrid rocket-propellor aeroplane! Armed with twin autocannons either-side of the hemi-spherical cockpit at the front and, ummm, a 50mm from the DT-25! Hanging down right in the middle!

It can drop smoke over firendlies and then shoot at hostiles! Fun for all!

0 ANY-AG-1939 "Bunny Hop is the Jive!":
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Spring 1939 (Design Phase)
« Reply #1937 on: May 17, 2017, 03:13:52 am »

So, we definitely need something for our ground forces this turn.
An amphibious APC?
Better infantry armor?

Also, we may want to revise the haast to be lighter. The whole reason it has folding wings is to be used on a carrier, but currently it is too heavy to be used properly.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: May 17, 2017, 03:22:17 am »

Yes, we need something amphibious for the jungle. Honestly, we just need to copy the Raider. Surely after fighting it for a few months, and observing the wrecks, maybe capturing one at some point, we should have gained some knowledge about how to build our own version. A better version, obviously.
Long Live United Forenia!

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: May 17, 2017, 03:22:34 am »

We don't really need to give that boost to the Haast as is -- word of Sensei is that it really is functioning more as a ground attack plane than a fighter, so if you want to revise for air work revise the Stinger again or something.

But I want us to revise our radio. Communication has been one of our strong suits throughout the game, and now they're turning it against us -- so we need to change tack with our designs for a bit.

WITH ALL THAT SAID, we NEED to focus our design on armor. We NEED to. We NEEEEEEEEEEEEEED to.
We have continually kept getting dragged off from addressing our ground front from the ground, but the time has come when we're finally backed against a wall because of it. Now is the time to work on fixing that.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 03:31:20 am by Powder Miner »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: May 17, 2017, 03:44:39 am »

UF-40-H/MB-T 'Demolisher': This large tank serves to eventually be the T33s replacement. With Extra heavy armour on the front, heavy armour on the sides and medium armour elsewhere the tank is formidably armoured even without taking into account the sloping, with both the front and sides sloped conventionally and the rear armour sloped out in reverse (AKA Akin to a Konigstiger or panther). The turret, armoured like the rest of the body (EH on the front/gun mantle, H on the sides and M on the top and rear), boasts a formidable armament in mounting a revised bumblebee gun with a muzzle break and gyroscope in exchange for it's targeting computer, alongside M3 Sorraias as it's coaxial and cupola armament. The two biggest things on the tank is it's powered turret, utilising batteirs to power the turret motors, allowing the tank's turret to swivel more quickly than what the armour and armament on it would suggest otherwise, and the use of revised PROJECT: BLOOD EAGLE plates as applique armour; instead of being two plates with explosive filler, the filler is made from rubber and while thicker than the explosive plates provides as much protection as what the original plates would have had they not blown up the test tank. Powered by a more efficient V12 turbo engine that what's in the T33, the tank it still expected to be somewhat slower than the T33. The entire tank is effectively designed for tank snorkelling to be a possibility, though the limited time the engineers have means that a proper tank snorkel is unable to be included with the design.

While the lack of an autoloader seems like a detriment, the tank's killing power and toughness means that it'll definitively crush the cannalan armour decisively.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 05:09:27 am by Taricus »
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: May 17, 2017, 04:04:04 am »

We are losing in part due to their amphibious warfare. I would suggest adding deep wading capability to the tank.
The revised blood eagle worries me, although rubber should be simple.
On the engine, maybe apply our new supercharger as well?

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: May 17, 2017, 04:07:06 am »

If you can link me to the supercharger system that'll be great; can't find it on the equipment list.

As for the amphibious capability, I feel like that's being a little too ambitious on the entire design.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: May 17, 2017, 04:12:43 am »

Deep wading would be instead of rubber plates, keeping complexity similar.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: May 17, 2017, 04:14:02 am »

Though lowering survival of the tank considerably. I can amend the design for it to be amenable to being tank snorkled but that's basically the best I can do.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: May 17, 2017, 04:54:41 am »

They will almost definitely try something naval and that worries me. On other hand stopping them  in jungles looks like a priority. Another way is admit losing jungles and try to both win naval battle and have an ability to control desert when they come to it

PS. Trying fighter with a ton of bombs didn't create a good air superiority carrier bases fighter even with a 6 roll, strange, isn't it? Being greedy is bad. Now we still need to design a real fighter. If no pressing need for holding the jungles, I would reoffer the fighter I offered last turn.

One thing that may give us great mobility in the jungle is a helicopter. Even a simple, unarmed one, capable to carry several soldiers can make the difference. Also, helicopters can assist amphibious landings later.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: May 17, 2017, 05:06:20 am »

To make it a real fighter, all it needs is more powerful engine. I disagree on helicopters, I see a very small chance of making them work first try to a suitable degree. Plus, our ground attack seems fine.

@ Taricus that seems suitable, although I will push general snorkeling as revision.
That said, today I travel so probably won't vote.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Summer 1939 (Design Phase)
« Reply #1947 on: May 17, 2017, 05:39:57 am »

UF-39-APC "Croc"
Following the basic frame of a T-2 Breaker, this eight-wheeled all terrain vehicle is designed to carry a squad of infantry, plus support gear (tiger armour & squad weapons for example). It is fitted with a turreted AC-18 Autocannon and coaxial Sorraia. The armour is Medium all round and it is specifically designed to be as sloped as possible for maximum deflection, additionally, it uses one unit of Manganese alloy to improve armour further. It has a rear access ramp, as well as two side doors, all rubber sealed. It is designed to achieve 64km/h on smooth ground, 32km/h on rough, and has a pair of screw propellers to allow  slow  movement across water. It can thus fjord small waterways and swamps and float across larger ones.

I bring back the Croc.

Edit: stupid metric system.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 05:43:26 am by Kashyyk »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: May 17, 2017, 05:41:21 am »

Use metric for the speed Kashyyk. Or we'll start thinking you're cannalan

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: May 17, 2017, 06:04:33 am »

I could go for the Croc. Although, they already have an ace named Crocodile. Perhaps Gator would be a better name?
Obviously the name is important. We don't want to be like Cannalans and name a thing after an enemy thing.

UF-39-APC "Croc": (1) NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 500